Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266608 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2014, 03:59:47 pm »

Ah, yes.

The magma workshop area was partially my design, and the areas you are referring to my fault.  We had a lot of ore that needed smelting, so I set up a shitton of smelters to get the job done.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:04 pm »

Ah, yes.

The magma workshop area was partially my design, and the areas you are referring to my fault.  We had a lot of ore that needed smelting, so I set up a shitton of smelters to get the job done.

It isn't really bad, but the power-holes are under empty spaces instead of impenetrable workshop tiles, and I'm scared the imps are going to path into the fort and take out our smiths.
I'm just being really anal about everything, but this is a succession game; things happen.
Random thoughts: Should I try to get live training up? Morale in the army could be improved by taking some joy in slaughter, and I need to start training again soon, regardless of morale. We have a lot of prisoners that aren't being put to any good use.

The 5 Year At Least A Month Plan

5th Slate

The death-screams of the goblin prisoners resounds throughout the fortress. Rhaken has decided his new gang members need to make their bones, it seems. Useful way to dispose of the mass of prisoners we've accumulated.
My only regret is that they killed them so quickly. Next time, I'll tell Rhaken, he should use training weapons. A far better exercise that would be, and we wouldn't run through our prisoners so quickly. I'm sure he already knows this, though. He was out for blood. Well good for him - I'd be stressed as hell if I'd lost a year of my life. Of course, I am stressed as hell, but that's because I had a non-consensual sex change.

11th Slate

Agricultural reform. The stable of revolutionary regimes. I didn't think it was necessary, but I guess I thought wrong.
While we have enough supplies currently, we don't have enough to maintain a proper clothing industry indefinately. Most of our farm plots are unproductive for the majority of the year. Anyway, if we end up overstocked, prepared foods are an excellent trade good. I'll have to reorganize the farms immediately.
Speaking of our clothing industry, a lot of worn clothing is just discarded in the halls. This is unsanitary and besmirchs the pride of our fortress. I'll have to build some means of disposal - perhaps a shaft to drop them into the magma sea? Now that I think about it, that would be a good way to dispose of the fort's internal enemies. External enemies I'll leave to Rhaken's training regimens.

15th Slate

The new hospital has been excavated, as has what will become the council chambers and Overseer's (not mayor's) office. The later will truly be fit for a king; the former, sterile, efficient and well-equipped. A cistern underneath the new hospital is being dug - now I just need to find some means to fill it with clear, fresh water.

I notice many standing production orders have been left, ordering dwarves to produce doors, tables, chairs and whatnot. While I've appreciated our vast stocks of these, we already have tons. The masons can take a break to help haul or engrave for a bit. I'd like to give the food producers a break from hauling at least.

18th Slate

The miners keep striking anomalous damp stone. We're not digging above or beneath any known bodies of water, so this is puzzeling to me. Is there an aquifer on this site? In any case, I won't disturb it for now in case it pollutes what is to be our cistern.
(OOC: Is there?)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:53:33 pm by MDFification »

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2014, 05:01:38 pm »

Random thoughts: Should I try to get live training up? Morale in the army could be improved by taking some joy in slaughter, and I need to start training again soon, regardless of morale. We have a lot of prisoners that aren't being put to any good use.

That's what the gulag is for. Though I don't think I ever got around to disarming the chained goblins. The larger room with the pit was made for marksdwarf executions.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:17 pm »

That's what the gulag is for. Though I don't think I ever got around to disarming the chained goblins. The larger room with the pit was made for marksdwarf executions.

I don't really use live training much in my typical gameplay.
I wonder if we could find an alternate use for prisoners - like, for example, not disarming them and causing the clown car to path into them. Hilarity (and weakening of the clowns) ensues. We have enough of them for it to be feasible.
EDIT: Not that we're sending in the clowns yet. I'd like a large, well trained military before that point. Also a lot of defenses; trapped corridors and marksdwarf positions. If I could get a giant cave spider they'd be really good - if not, well, it's basically just a mass grinder. Remember: It's not turtling if they're clowns!

Also this is as good a time to mention as any that one of our best soldiers is in the hospital. Bad luck, Fractal. If only a mook could have gotten in the way.  :-\

Also this is basically sums up Steelhold:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:08:56 am by MDFification »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2014, 06:42:16 pm »

:wakes up:
*cackles*
-dunno if there's an aquifer.  I didn't run into one while carving out steelhold2.0, but I :thought: I ran into one while trying to make an emergency set of kitchens near the food stockpile-turned out to just be the ocean. There's also a stagnant pool on the surface, it's easy to miss.
...I think I forgot to mention a few things during my turn.  This post is all OOC. 

Everything beneath the windmill farm was created during my turn. :P
Animal zoning: Early warning system, and a way to get animals-especially grazers-OUT of the depot before they starve.  Works best if zone is near depot, and the corner the dwarves take the animals to is at least somewhat protected by cage traps. plus it frees up those cages for more cage traps.

Just south of the addy stockpile: That's where I had hoped to put new forges in place.  But doing so would also have required rearranging the bar stockpiles, and I didn't have dwarfpower to spare thanks to the spring amushes.  But...I guess it'd be a great place to process adamantine...

How I do the bedrooms:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The cage traps were NOT random, simply incomplete:

Ok, so I didn't quite get it set up that way.  But I've learned my lesson: though shalt attempt no more than two or three big projects per year in an inefficient community fort.

I would have expected a lot of dwarves to become freed up after about a week once the handfull of bins I alloted for finished goods got filled up.  I recommend you take any military dwarves off of mining/woodcutting, that'll stop them from wasting time switching uniforms...oh...and you can probably halt the in-fort cloth production.  I bought plenty of leather and cloth from all three caravans. 

At least even your character has to (privately) admit my stockpiling skills are pretty good.  :D

The vampire has been sealed up with walls rather than just a door and burrow.
Why U put up a mayor with mandates...oh. right. story.   (but the old mayor never gave mandates. keh. )

There are actually...three or so hospital zones scattered acrossthe fort. I think I built the sole traction bench as well.  Note: traction bench quality is determined by the quality of the table used, and nothing else.  Use cheap mechanisms and ropes for them. 

As for military...it was all I could do to stop the "enraged by long patroll duty" thoughts from leading to a military tantrum spiral.  Those are NASTY.  Military is not my strong-suit. I blame haunted biomes for teaching me that military=bad.

As for your status as a woman....
TROLLFACE.JPG!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:54:07 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2014, 07:40:22 pm »

Welp. Played to the 1st of Felsite. Think I'm going to call it a night.
Archery tower progesses smoothly. Other projects (hospital, tomb, council room) also progress smoothly. Fort continues to be increasingly secure. While it wasn't poorly stocked before, it is now overflowing with foodstuffs. Casualties this year: 2 (one child kidnapped, one person ate by a were-lizard) although we've been lucky, particularly with the forges and lack of any nasty forgotten beast/titan attacks. Cavern's have a single door for security; we're boned if something attacks us through there.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2014, 08:40:00 pm »

I thought I walled it off all the way with a construction...the last thing I needed was a forgotton beast versus crippled millitary.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »

I thought I walled it off all the way with a construction...the last thing I needed was a forgotton beast versus crippled millitary.

Nah, it's actually just a door. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - that's the only currently secure source of fresh water in the fort, and making a new one is going to be a pain.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:06 pm »

ah well.
IC epilogue to my turn:

I flicked a lever to off, cutting power by roughly a half.  Then another, and another.  In the end, I reduced the power by a factor of roughly 100. 

I could controll the rift from here, now that I knew how much power was needed to sustain it without making it bigger.  Perhaps Emdief and the Masked Entity could lock me out of their world forever if they worked together, but I doubted it.  well, I could probably bash through any defense they put up, but I wasn't about to tear up another dozen worlds just to get back to steelhold, even IF it had some of the most intelligent beings I'd dealt with in ages.

something became clear to me as I modified the power flow to the diamond portal to hold the rift in a steady state: if the common dwarf received +20 plotting, then vampires may also receive +20 plotting.

If the vampire had realized that I could cut the power levels of the rift so quickly...he might have kept himself hidden from my knowledge instead of manipulating both me and the fort like the most subtle chess and puppetmaster to ever exist, and seized controll of the adamantine portal at a crucial moment, rather than waiting for a subtle blip when Emdief knocked the adamantine portal down.  Even MaskedEntity could not perceive the vampire's subtle plots...the irony: all his moves and counter moves, and if he'd simply waited he could have accomplished his goal. 

Well.  The least I could do was to double check that the vampire was still sealed up nice and tight...

I slipped back into the fort with a convenient migrant wave, staying as far away from Emdief and MaskedEntity as possible. Seems like Emdief is claiming credit for the new clothing being churned out.  Would it be so hard for him to give me a little credit? y'know, the classic "Previous_overseer, for all his/her insanity/cruelty, gave us something stable upon which to build. And build we shall!"

Really.  The bedrooms took forever to design.  the least he could do...
Funny.  I suddenly have a sneaking suspicion that Emdief did and does appreciate the infrastructure I'd set up, but felt afraid to let the rest of the fort know he appreciated it.  well...I can live with that. 

I check the vampire: still sealed away.  I slip away from the fort before the dwarves are done recording the numbers and names of immigrants.  But perhaps, just perhaps, I shall slip back in with the next wave.  I don't know if I'll do anything like try to take over the fort again, but it could be nice to actually talk with someone without worrying so much about the fate of the universe.  or, who knows, maybe take over and improve the fort...
Or even just take up gemcrafting.  maybe now that my powers were stable, I could imbue gems with power and set them up as automatic turrets to defend the fort against all manner of mobs...and maybe stick some of them into the soil for short-range but faster attacks...
I slip back through the rift. I have an appointment with a nice bed made of three wool and three planks.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

Could I join?

Name: Lorius Zane
Profession: A Cleric of the Old Dwarven Gods.
Backstory: Lorius Zane was an important figure amongst the old Dwarven Royal Family. When Obok Wealthsbanners  became Queen, Lorius new loyalties were not to her, but to his gods. As result of his minor following and lack loyalty to her, Obok attempted to have him killed. Unbeknown to all, but a few, Lorius was a devoted member of the old Royal spy network. As of such, Lorius when underground when the new Queen tried to have the old spymaster killed. Through a mixture of his own skills, his followers and friends and the favour of the old gods, Lorius escaped and remained connected with what was left of the old spy network. Having recently discovered the old spymaster is still live at Steelhold under the name Rhaken, Lorius has made a journey there as a war-cleric to aid his old boss and to purge the unatural magic there in the name of the old Dwarven Gods.
Personality: Lorius Zane is a calm person with a cool smooth voice. He never broke under stress or pressure, especially in the last several years. His calmness and muscular and broad shouldered figure allows him to win over the fearful and scared with his unwavering faith. He hates magics like the gods he serves, but enjoys science, seeing as a sign of dwarven progression.

OOC: Could he arrived in the next migrant wave or caravan? 

I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:25 am »

The Wills of the People

2nd Felsite

Work progresses smoothly on the archery tower. I plan to secure the fort above and below before the year is out; after the fort has been secured, there will be other matters to address. For example, building a secure source of purified water indoors for usage in the hospital. If one exists, I haven't found it; Steelhold is a sprawling mess, with "ventilation" shafters everywhere, following no consistent plan. Probably a tribute to its volatile poltics.

Speaking of volatile politics, oh boy, don't get fooled into thinking we've succeeded in making a stable fort. Already there's dwarves muttering that I don't go far enough, and that I should exterminate Maskdwarf's cultists. Really! Murder a large, productive segment of the fort! I've tried to pacify them by encouraging shunning of Maskdwarf's congregation in pretty much all social matters, which wins us a few more converts every so often. Maskdwarf's congregation, in turn, gives me hateful stares whenever we meet. They better not openly defy me; I wouldn't like what I'd have to do to maintain power, and the revolution hasn't provided a capable successor yet.

12th Felsite

Increased numbers in the military has led to an armor shortage. I'm having more produced.
I've also begun restoring Lenehan's tomb. Who knows when we'll next have the chance? While nobody genuinely supports Lenehan, many express relief that we're treating the office of Overseer with the respect it deserves. Mainly Corley's supporters, that is. Jovus' supporters still claim I'm not going far enough to ensure the future of the revolution. Bloody Jovus.

14th Felsite

An elfish caravan has arrived and begun unloading their goods! I don't know why nobody warned me they were coming. Most watch the caravan greedily. This is a fort of ex-cons, after all.
I'll see if they have anything valuable they're willing to trade for our garbage. They're a good source of wood, although I'd also be happy if we got us some good war animals or sunberries.

15th Felsite

They didn't bring us any wood! Bloody arrogant elves told me that "we couldn't be trusted even with ethically gathered cellulose". Oh, I'll buy their dyes and raw cloth, but they're only getting worn clothes in return. Don't know why everyone thinks robbing the caravan is a good idea - there's nothing worth stealing on it.

18th Felsite

Another kobold thief. We don't reach him in time to stop him escaping. We'll look weak in front of the kobolds, not killing them like this. Could encourage them enough to send a few squads our way, even. Very bad.

19th Felsite

Someone offers the elves wood, and they leave in a huff. Whoops. I can't bring myself to be too upset though - bring use something useful next time you self-righteous pointy-ears. Honestly, how Lenehan was able to deal with them, let alone idolize such haughty, unreasonable creatures I have no idea.

1st Hetmatite

Spring is finally over. So much was done. So much remains to be done.
Our archery tower is almost completed; however, roofing it and other upgrades to the fortifications could take some time. I planned to rebuild our forces - unfortunately, they've been in near-constant use.
Some musings - we could use more wheelbarrows and bins. We really, really could. I've designated a lot of new stockpiles to handle our chronic over-stocking (better than chronic under-stocking) but hauling is slow and we're taking up more space than needs to be taken up.
My tomb has been built. It's incredibly fancy - I really don't deserve it. We've also built us a nifty hall for the council to meet in and a new hospital, although that's still being furnished and the cistern isn't finished.

Overall, a successful season. Now, I just need to build on this success and keep cultist-revolutionary tensions from exploding. The masked dwarf isn't helping in that respect. I hope he doesn't do anything stupid.

7th Hetmatite

At last, the main floor of the new fortifications is complete!
Atop the archery tower another barracks will be constructed, in the sunlight. The melee squads can train there - this means they can respond rapidly to a siege and won't get so accustomed to the dark that vomit whenever they exit the fortress proper.

OOC: I'll get to dorfing in the next migrant wave, or if one doesn't come just rename a suitable new member of Rhaken's Gang.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:07:34 am by MDFification »

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2014, 10:13:44 am »

Thanks. I would  prefer it if Lorius could be part of the military, but not a marksdwarf if possible.
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2014, 10:34:33 am »

Thanks. I would  prefer it if Lorius could be part of the military, but not a marksdwarf if possible.

Don't worry about that. 50% of our military is marksdwarves already. It should be around 25% ideally, but I haven't found competent melee fighters in a while and I've been resisting drafting random mooks.
Still, we don't seem to be getting attacked this summer, so hopefully that will last.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:29 am »

Want to see my one-eyed monster?

2nd Malachite

The scouts have reported another cyclops, Asas, has come to attack the fort. With the news, Rhaken's eyes flash with anger. I've heard now much he hates these things, but I've never seen it with my own eyes before.
Rhaken's gang rushes out to fell the beast. I try to bring my marksdwarves up to provide support.
The cyclops is quickly felled by Rhaken's gang, which systematically takes it to pieces. and Rhaken once again lands the killing blow. My troops arrive just in time to hear it's death-rattle.
The cyclops apparently was a mere child by their standards. Still, it's huge. I'm glad I haven't got a chance to meet a live one. I realize we still have a cyclops prisoner, but I've never bothered to purposefully put myself in a room with something that could break me in half.

14th Malachite

I've been wondering if one could construct a secure pier to allow us to fish from the ocean. Probably won't get around to it, but future overseers could make use of nature's bounty, eh? Alternatively one could channel out a canal and bring the ocean to the interior of the fort, although that strikes me as much more difficult to secure.
On to more relevant matters. This fort's labour needs to be reorganized into a more efficient form. Many of our most skilled workers are hauling rather than doing the tasks they would most benefit the fortress with. I'm not sure why we have 14 miners - other than the most efficient, they'll double as haulers when not otherwise required. I also don't know why Asmoth was mining - she's our bloody head medical dwarf! She's sent back to the hospital, much to Melek's chagrin.

Cleanup of the fort's exterior is also under way. A huge amount of munitions, mechanisms and cages have been just left outside. That will change.

18th Malachite

'Migrants' have arrived yet again! Must be some serious unrest in the mountainhomes if we're receiving this many new prisoners. One was immediately drafted to the Marksdwaves; another sought out Rhaken's gang and enlisted on his own initiative. Funny dwarf, that one. Sensible opinion about demon-worshipping though.
Our population is up to 217. Steelhold is widely considered a metropolis in its own right. Were we any other fort, the monarch herself would be visiting. Of course, we're a cobbled-together mass of criminals in an inhospitable desert, so I applaud her good sense in staying as far away as possible. I would have too, had I the choice.

21st Malachite

The finishing touches are being put on the new melee-dwarf barracks. Equipping the military is also comming along nicely. Although I have yet to replace all iron armor with steel (and likely won't by the year's end), I'm confident that all of our forces will be armored and ready for battle by the time the next siege rolls around.
I'm starting to think of who can be my successor. The cultists are increasingly hostile towards me - they've been banned from holding their little gatherings - and I fear they could make an attempt on my life soon. The Masked Dwarf seems to be avoiding me, for whatever reason. It cannot be allowed to choose the next leader of this fortress.
Rhaken could regain power - I fear however him eliminating me as a political rival. Jovus clearly has no idea how to run a city, so he's out. The various military commanders can't be trusted to relinquish power once they take it up. I'll think more on this.

Post will continue to be updated as I play more, as per usual.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:46:38 pm by MDFification »

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2014, 01:45:01 pm »

MDFification, I think you misread my previous post as I was asking for Lorius to be a melee dwarf, not a marksdwarf ( It was me misreading your post.  :-[) as Lorius prefers to fight his foes up close and personal like a proper dwarven warrior.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:47:13 pm by Oshha »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47