Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271426 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2014, 08:29:28 am »

Well, shit.

Hey Gnorm, could you tell me if Rhaken's wife Onul outlived him or not? As you can imagine, it's important for writing down the dwarf's last thoughts.

...Did anyone get around to "rebuilding" his tomb?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:31:23 am by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2014, 09:35:10 am »

He does it intentionally

"Ah, but there is a slight problem,"
The remaining followers of the true gods were huddled around the meeting chamber, terrified looks on their faces.
"Even I cannot control that many spawn at once.  So, my followers, I must bid you farewell, at least for now."
The floor around the masked dwarf erupted into flames, and the ground surged up, encompassing the masked dwarf.  When the fire died away, the masked dwarf was gone.

"Do you realize how little you have accomplished?"
Corley whirled around, trying to locate the source of the words, but there was nothing to be seen.
"I am everywhere, Corley.  You cannot see me, no matter how hard you try.  But perhaps I will reveal myself"
The room was suddenly lit by a bright flare of luminescence, emanating from just above Corley.  Corley could now clearly see a ghostly shadow whirling around the room.
"All that you have done, Corley, is further my schemes.  All that you have done is for me.  And for that, I must thank you."
"Pray tell, masked one, how have I furthered them?  Your little cult is going to be destroyed."
"It is not to me to explain to a lowly dwarf like you.  If you will excuse me, I am going to the adamantine stores.  I wish you luck"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2014, 09:42:12 am »

The masked dwarf flitted down the halls of the fortress: past the frightened civilians, past the guards, past the demons, all of whom took no notice.  Suddenly, the masked dwarf paused.
"You lingered, hmm?"
Were any dwarves around, none of them would have heard a thing, but the masked dwarf cocked his head to one side as if listening to something.
"Yes, I can sense your presence."
A pause, then: "Why would I do that?"
Another pause: "Really, Rhaken?  Who do you hate more: Corley, or me?"
"Fair point.  But I never released the spawn of my gods on the fortress, because they were cast out long ago for a reason.  They are no longer associated with my gods."
"As you say.  I wish you luck, I suppose.  Corley is in Lenehan's old office.  And see if you can't scrounge up Asmoth, she may be remarkably helpful."

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2014, 11:33:10 am »

Well, shit.

Hey Gnorm, could you tell me if Rhaken's wife Onul outlived him or not? As you can imagine, it's important for writing down the dwarf's last thoughts.

...Did anyone get around to "rebuilding" his tomb?
I can't find her in the units screen, so I fear she is already dead.  As for the tomb, I'll rebuild it, but we won't be able to properly inter him until after the demons in the fortress are dealt with and the rupture resealed.

The masked dwarf flitted down the halls of the fortress: past the frightened civilians, past the guards, past the demons, all of whom took no notice.  Suddenly, the masked dwarf paused.
"You lingered, hmm?"
Were any dwarves around, none of them would have heard a thing, but the masked dwarf cocked his head to one side as if listening to something.
"Yes, I can sense your presence."
A pause, then: "Why would I do that?"
Another pause: "Really, Rhaken?  Who do you hate more: Corley, or me?"
"Fair point.  But I never released the spawn of my gods on the fortress, because they were cast out long ago for a reason.  They are no longer associated with my gods."
"As you say.  I wish you luck, I suppose.  Corley is in Lenehan's old office.  And see if you can't scrounge up Asmoth, she may be remarkably helpful."

To whom is he speaking?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2014, 03:12:19 pm »

He's talking to Rhaken's spirit.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:48 pm »

I'll...just scrap the previous post.

I facepalmed as I awoke.  "Intruders! unautorized entrance" yelled the demons-or was it "die, dwarven scum!"...demonic languages tended to vary from world to world.  Something about "pro-seed-ura...ted"...
No matter.
SOMEONE had broken into the circus tent without both me AND maskdwarf there to send the demons on to a new home. No doubt demons were now scattered throughout the fort in the few seconds it took me to blink away the lethargy. Still, if worst came to worst, some of the dwarves could seal themselves up into their bedrooms for a few years. 

In theory, I could take out all the demons in one shot...but the energy required would also also wipe out the fortress in the process, and possibly the entire world.  I call it "dell-eat-ting" don't ask why. 

I had to talk with the masked one before I did anything else...his response to the question of "ok, how come you didn't do the sensible thing and invite me to the breach" would determine whether we worked together to split the fort into demon-zone and dwarf-zone...or if we find out what happens when our spells meet at the halfway point with opposing intent.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »

Chapter VII: Armageddon Part II (The Fury)

The citizens got to work immediately.  The best of the Dwarven smiths created several spears to pierce the bodies of the demons, whilst the mechanics -- under counsel of the ghostly Emdief -- worked on connecting the spears to traps.  All seemed to be going well, until the the mistake was made.  One lever being pulled over another caused the iron bridge to be lowered for just long enough for one demon to escape.

The monster quickly scared off all who had been working on the defensive spears; the project was deemed a failure.  Citizens evacuated to the upper levels, and soldiers attempted to face the demon.  None of them, however, could match Rhaken's skill or Lorius' zeal, and all who faced the monster were doomed to die.  As the military dwindled, the abomination made its home in the forges, destroying the workshops and melting certain bars of metal.  Someone will have to destroy this demon, but his time is not yet.

. . .

Corley threw the documents into his fireplace; the M.A.S.K. project was a failure -- it didn't even pass stage two.  He knew that it would be unwise to continue to oversee the fortress, for everyone knew from whom the order to breach the pillar came.  In his own charter, Corley gave himself the authority to appoint the overseer; he exercised that authority earlier that morning, nailing a sheet with his successor's name to the workshop area.  In the end, none of his plans amounted to anything, and Corley simply faded away.  No one saw Corley after the end of the year 259, though there were rumors of a new visitor to the penal colony.

Save is here.
Whoever is next will have the burden of getting rid of that troublesome devil.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »

Alrighty then. New plan:

We have a god-awful amount of caged gobbos. We must make use of them. Pity I stripped them of their weapons, it really is, but I don't know how to give them back.
Utilizing our POW population to, ah, soften the clown car will do wonders, be it for practical purposes or morale. I also encourage usage of our marksdwarves - many of the clowns are if I recall quite fragile, and torso shots will neatly kill and dismember them. Unfortunately, quite a few throw fire.

So, here's the idea:
1. Open up a path to the HFS, through a area containing Goblin POWs. Geneva Conventions be damned.
2. Once the last goblin is dead, the clowns continue through a corridor of standing spears set on repeat. If used in sufficient numbers, this should mince them into bite-sized portions.
3. Maskdwarfs (in fortifications hopefully) engage any who make it past the gauntlet. Digging a trench and filling it with water would be a good idea, because if they get lit on fire they'll be able to douse themselves.
4. Kill Fractal and Maskdwarf in some hilarious fashion. FOR MODI!
5. +Clown Tallow+ roasts for all! If my plan hasn't gotten us all killed.

I also encourage the next Overseer to find some way to cave in the lower levels when attempts to root out our friend in the depths end in gruesome fiery death. Which, judging by our military record, it will. In which case, we can seal off the lower levels and relocate our magma forges to the caverns, where I believe there is a magma pool. Again, judging by our records this will no doubt be a demon cultist/cyclops-vampire-insane monarch alliance trap, if Melek doesn't doesn't decide to take the opportunity to study exactly how demon syndromes kill dwarves.

Best case scenario: We live to scheme another day. Worst case scenario: Demons now know the sheer frustration of living in Steelhold.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:23:32 pm by MDFification »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:07 am »

3. Maskdwarfs (in fortifications hopefully) engage any who make it past the gauntlet. Digging a trench and filling it with water would be a good idea, because if they get lit on fire they'll be able to douse themselves.
:cackles:
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2014, 10:55:49 am »

Proposal: Official motto of the thread becomes No Overseers Left Alive

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:49 am »

I had to see to see Rhaken's death for myself. When I did, I couldn't let those unnatural monsters into the fortress. Yet I fell to earlier. It was only when they struck me down, that my masters, Armok and the old Gods, explained that did not wish to lose their loyal and faithful servant to their would-be usurpers. Not while the servant the new gods still walked within Steelhold. So they place me to one side, slowly healing me until I was barely fit enough to make my way back to Steelhold. I made a painful grimace as I looked at the stunned faces of the first of my followers to find me. Then it went black.

OOC: Lorius survived due to the old Gods not wishing to lose their servant to their new rivals. Plus this would explain why it took so long for Lorius to return to Steelhold.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:40:55 pm by Oshha »
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »

I had to see to see Rhaken's death for myself. When I did, I couldn't let those unnatural monsters into the fortress. Yet I fell to earlier. It was only when they struck me down, that my masters, Armok and the old Gods, explained that did not wish to lose their loyal and faithful servant to their would-be usurpers. Not while the servant the new gods still walked within Steelhold. So they place me to one side, slowly healing me until I was barely fit enough to make my way back to Steelhold. I made a painful grimace as I looked at the stunned faces of the first of my followers to find me. Then it went black.

OOC: Lorius survived due to the old Gods not wishing to lose their servant to their new rivals. Plus this would explain why it took so long for Lorius to return to Steelhold.

Nope. Grandfather clauses state that if you die, you are dead. Sorry 'bout that, but you'll have to get dorf'd with a different character.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2014, 03:45:52 pm »

Nope. Grandfather clauses state that if you die, you are dead. Sorry 'bout that, but you'll have to get dorf'd with a different character.

Okay. That part wasn't there last time I looked or I just overlooked it by mistake. I like to redwarf as Karius Durtis, one of Lorius apprentices who will come with the next caravan after receiving a hefty message from Lorius. He'll be more jolly, a tad less gloomy as well as faithful, through encountering Oku will make him more loyal to the old Gods. He'll strike up a friendship with Lorius' granddaughter and final apprentice,  Alatha Zane.
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:48 pm »

Also Lorius' spirit will have go onto dwarven heaven by now.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:36 pm »

Proposal: Official motto of the thread becomes No Overseers Left Alive
It certainly seems to be a bad habit of mine.  I'll take your suggestion into consideration; any votes for this?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47