Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (1.0.1) - Kept around for historical purposes!  (Read 46194 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

fan·tas·tic  [fan-tas-tik]
adjective
conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque: fantastic rock formations; fantastic designs.

Fantastic Dwarf Fortress is a slightly irreverent fantasy mod that focuses on preventing micromanagement first, adding stuff later. The goal is to simultaneously never have the player feel overwhelmed but still at the same time feel like there's more added to the game. As of now, the mod fails at adding more stuff; in fact, the feature list is dry enough that I can tell them right here:

1. Anti-micro reactions: make steel from ore, make potash/lye directly from wood, automatic functions that make soap through multiple steps (to allow for increase in separate skills).

2. Anti-micro DFHack artifact code: when an artifact weapon or piece of armor is made, the material used to make it is summarily ignored and replaced with a much, much better material tailored specifically for the armor/weapon. Any other artifact keeps its material, of course.

3. Beekeeping made better! No longer does one have to wait an entire season for bee results; get them in a third the time! Plus, all reactions are queued automatically (or at the very least should be).

4. Weekly notifications! Learn what your dwarves are complaining about most of all.

5. Settings! Press "s" on the title screen to get mods you can turn off and on--for now, just the DFHack artifact code, notifications, Fortress Defense and Dark Wizard Tower.

6. New playable race/game mode! Dark Wizard Tower, where there is only one of you against the world--but you don't need sustenance and there's no need to gather resources! Make wealth all you want.

This is going to change, and quickly. I invite everyone to add whatever they feel like to the mod through its github. Make an account, fork the repository, test your additions, send a pull request. Maybe just add an issue. Either way, this isn't just my mod.

Though for now I guess it is. I'd better get cracking.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:22:46 am by Putnam »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.1) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:23 pm »

PTW

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.1) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:31 am »

ooooh, I shall definitely have to give this a go and a look.

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.2) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

some way of getting rid of xwornx and XthreadbareX clothes without having to go throught the stockpile menu and assign a dump for each one.

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.2) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:23 am »

some way of getting rid of xwornx and XthreadbareX clothes without having to go throught the stockpile menu and assign a dump for each one.

That's already easily done through dfhack's clean owned command.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.3.0) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:45:36 am »

Just added some settings using warmist's mod manager. Fortress defense is the only one for now.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.3.0) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:01:33 am »

That's already easily done through dfhack's clean owned command.
I think the whole cleanowned and DFHack counts as micromanaging. In how many other games do you have to tab out and type in a console to clean the floor? :P

Anyway, PTW. This looks promising!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Dwarf Fortress (0.3.1) - Less micro, more stuff!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »

0.3.1 released. Added my own advpotions to the settings. They're entirely cheaty right now, unfortunately.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

0.4.0 release. Added the Artifact stuff to the settings and added a weekly most-common-bad-thought notifier.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why irreverent?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Because I'm going to add crusty old wizards who tell you to get off their lawn as they decimate your fortress.

Seriously, though, because I can't make a mod that takes itself seriously that well and I wanna make sure up front that everyone knows that :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1.0.0. Added not-crusty not-old wizards who tell other wizards to get off their lawn as they absorb their souls. Playable race.

That's darker than I expected :P

Also, if people come up with more spells for the wizards, just post them here and I'll add them (seriously, the sky's the limit here) or make a pull request on the github.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be able to help with support for other platforms. Does this mod use any plugins, or is it just raw files and Lua scripts?
I'm assuming this uses DFHack r4, since 3dveins is included. Does it require r4, or does r3 work too? (Not that it makes a difference, since there are working versions of both for OS X and Linux.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It requires r4; the artifact addition script uses an eventful event added in r4.

It uses falconne's plugins, but those are unessential.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Looks interesting, gonna try it out.

Edit: Noticed some weirdness with the conjuration location. It doesn't seem to want to queue jobs with conjured reagents. only constructions are exempt. The wizard will take the job, but only if he was idling when it was issued.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:53:11 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: [1] 2 3