Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665395 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:09 pm »

I suppose I can add this.  I can't say that MDF and I didn't take some... liberties with the modding.
Anybody else really want to add anything?

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure the founders are full up, but once an opening has been made I'd like to get my dwarf in this hole of a fortress:

The Barkov Clan has been in existence in one form or another since the dawn of time (Or at least so close to it that it doesn't really matter), having branch families spread out over a number of fortresses. Unlike other major families and clans, the Barkov's never felt the need to chain the whole family to a single career, instead preferring to find a niche and becoming as good as possible at their chosen roll as possible on an individual level. As such, the clan has had members ranging from warriors and nobles to farmers and hunters. One way or another, statistically you're likely to find at least one member of the clan in any given fortress.

Taking on the family tradition of finding his place in life in a brand new fortress, Artyom Barkov has joined a number of other dwarfs to help make Fortress 'Demongate' a success.

I don't want to have a turn running the fortress, but I will happily have a dwarf in it, as well as posting stories and what not. I'm happy to have Artyom take whatever role he needs to, just as long as he is male and relatively young (I'm tired of having my dwarf being in his twilight years).
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:23 pm »

I suppose I can add this.  I can't say that MDF and I didn't take some... liberties with the modding.
I can live with his addition, but let's try to keep this mostly vanilla.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:35:40 pm »

I can live with his addition, but let's try to keep this mostly vanilla.
oh, it is.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:56 am »

Oh, looks like my dwarf gets into embark party? Well, then I need a backstory...

This dwarf, Brother Cornelius, came from far fortress somewhere in the tundra. There were some kind of Monastery that tried to find the way of fighting bloodkin hordes better than hand-to-hand. Brothers were spending their days in meditation and searching through ancient tomes... till the Monastery was destroyed and Brothers who survived were scattered all over the land. Not many of them survived, though.
Cornelius believes there's a weakness in bloodkin's nature that can help us greatly, but what exactly it could be?
Oh, and also he's a healer.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:45 am »

Oh, looks like my dwarf gets into embark party? Well, then I need a backstory...

This dwarf, Brother Cornelius, came from far fortress somewhere in the tundra. There were some kind of Monastery that tried to find the way of fighting bloodkin hordes better than hand-to-hand. Brothers were spending their days in meditation and searching through ancient tomes... till the Monastery was destroyed and Brothers who survived were scattered all over the land. Not many of them survived, though.
Cornelius believes there's a weakness in bloodkin's nature that can help us greatly, but what exactly it could be?
Oh, and also he's a healer.

Just looked over the list of dwarfs in the embark party. If there is a full seven dwarfs going, then odds are Artyom will be on the Caravan, provided that the list of already existing dwarfs list is up to date.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 05:58:31 am »

I kinda fealt like asking to add it for story for my character ha, and wtf bay12 forums activity speeds up when im asleep haa.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 07:37:31 am »

Well, we just hit seven dwarfs now, but I'd prefer to have two miners. Assuming it's ok if Artyom is one of them, we still have another free in the starting seven, with Cornelius to come. Or we could start with one miner, which would certainly be interesting.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 07:49:59 am »

I say we do one miner for story wise.

Any dwarf can just swing a pick, but true mining is the abilitie to sense where ores are before you strike them. The only dwarf able to use this abiliety was the dwarf clan of ironblood. A clan of dwarfs who were once said was desendits of the male God of Mountins and female goddess of metals. The clan was once a huge part of all forts but when the bloodkin arrived they made sure to slaughter the clan of ironblood to cripple the dwarfs.
Hows that for story wise. This fort is really getting my creativity juices flowing really well. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:11:33 am by danmanthedog »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:05 am »

I don't insist on joining embark party. Give me any medic that comes and that's ok.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:48 am »

Posting the daily reminder that the wiki is your needy, needy friend.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 10:06:01 am »

I never made a wiki page before but I can learn alittle bit and start making a page about the characters if that's okay?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:41 pm »

Quick question. Would everyone be in favor of a little forward planning this time around?
Not that I want to stop the creativity - I'd just want to make things easier to find by constraining our activities to certain levels of the fort. The first person to breach a layer would declare what that layer was for (e.g. bedrooms or organics material processing or hospitals + barracks, etc) and the later players would respect that by not building different industries/functions in that layer. We'd maintain a list of what functions each level accomplishes.
I'm suggesting this because last time we ended up with 2 bedroom complexes, 3 workshop areas, 3 dining rooms, 2 hospitals, a barracks I never found, tombs and offices everywhere, and stockpiles in the corridors. Some of those were intentional, but it might save us time and improve efficiency if we kept those bunched together instead of spread all over the fort? We'd still be able to use our own designs, but we wouldn't create such a pathfinding nightmare and it'd be a lot easier for the next player to find things.
Just a thought.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:43 pm »

Okay sounds good to me but really 2 hospitals really was one of them better then the other?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 05:12:36 pm »

Quick question. Would everyone be in favor of a little forward planning this time around?
Not that I want to stop the creativity - I'd just want to make things easier to find by constraining our activities to certain levels of the fort. The first person to breach a layer would declare what that layer was for (e.g. bedrooms or organics material processing or hospitals + barracks, etc) and the later players would respect that by not building different industries/functions in that layer. We'd maintain a list of what functions each level accomplishes.
I'm suggesting this because last time we ended up with 2 bedroom complexes, 3 workshop areas, 3 dining rooms, 2 hospitals, a barracks I never found, tombs and offices everywhere, and stockpiles in the corridors. Some of those were intentional, but it might save us time and improve efficiency if we kept those bunched together instead of spread all over the fort? We'd still be able to use our own designs, but we wouldn't create such a pathfinding nightmare and it'd be a lot easier for the next player to find things.
Just a thought.
My dwarf is a soldier, but the order requires that sacrifices will be made for the common good, so he is willing to take up a pick in order to mine out the fortress.  I'll try to mine out or designate most important areas, but I think that part of the fun is designing your own things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 172