Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139738 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: A Puzzling Dream
« Reply #1290 on: November 30, 2018, 08:30:11 am »

There's plenty of good desert music on OGA, just do a search for "desert".

I've made a few improvements to drop tiles.  Still fairly buggy in certain circumstances but the issue with entering sidescrolling areas from the side on the top tile (instead of just the bottom) has been fixed.  Sidescrolling areas covered above and below in solid tiles seem to work fine.  Still needs work.

I've also added the ability to scale background images which is nice for skyboxes.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:37 am »

Okay. Thanks. I’ll find some today.

Okay. Good to know. Hope the rest of the fixes go pretty easily.

Should come in handy.

Edit: Wow, I was just checking something in Lusuria, and I just realized that Will's dialogue is HORRIBLY lacking. He introduces himself to you every single time you talk to him. It's awful. Anyways, today I'll be making Lusuria fixes.

Oh, and I realized that I need to go back in make sure I didn't use they for every pronoun. It's a bad habit. Plus, the characters wouldn't like it. Some characters should be using it, but not every single one.

I made some questionable design choices for Lusuria, didn't I...

Edit: Wow, I messed up a lot of stuff, didn't I? It looks like I had some dialogue backwards on Azeron, causing them to use the wrong phrases.

Edit: I let Remy ask you if you wanted a drink in the past-first dialogue, and then didn't let you get one. I should do that.

Edit: Wait, and Remy has modified post dungeon dialogue that, for some reason, doesn't actually ever appear?
Edit: Clarification: This was just a mistake I made, not a glitch or something I need help with. I just, for some arcane reason, did not actually write the bit that made it work at all. It was an obvious and easy mistake to noticed and fix, just one that I somehow totally missed before.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:37:33 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 02, 2018, 06:43:36 am »

It's pretty easy to miss mistakes when you're retaining saved data across testing sessions. I've gotten into the habit of using the in-game object editor to test multiple conditions (you can edit a memento's data by clicking the item in the inventory through the object editor). It's also a good idea to do at least one "clean" test from start to finish when you're done.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 02, 2018, 11:43:54 am »

I believe I did do a test run from start to finish, but I must have only talked to Will once (if you do, the dialogue makes sense). The object editor use I’ll have to try out (it should make testing the final path room statue much easier). Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I published Lusuria with the changes. Forgot to test it first, and I won't have time today, but I'm reasonably confident that nothing should be broken. Or at least nothing worse than some text being odd. I'll take another run through tomorrow and check it all.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:39:39 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 03, 2018, 03:14:36 pm »

I've been making some improvements to the rendering engine, which should improve framerate when drawing large amounts of sprites.  It has also been optimized so that it won't need to do any extra processing while applying color to a sprite when the color is preset in the class, (sprites that change colors in-game through functions or flash effects do not receive this additional optimization).

I went through Lusuria again.  Everything seems to work well, though Arc and Thaum don't seem to have dialogue?  There are also a few text boxes without a speaker defined...hm.  Maybe an indicator on the flowchart screen specifying the speaker would be worthwhile.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »

Cool. That should help out.

... whoops. Wonder what I did wrong. Probably renamed the chat starting point or something. I’ll check as soon as I have time.
I’ll look for text boxes without a defined speaker. Must have missed some more or unfixed some that had been working.
Thanks for taking a look at it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 03, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »

I just made a new thing that lets you link to a particular public gate in the URL!  This should make publicizing specific worlds more convenient.  I didn't make a thing to copy the URL yet but it works by basically appending ?g=owner:world:room:gate to the URL.  For example, https://indigofenix.com/boundworlds/?g=Kamani:spidsdungeon:Town_Entry:Entry

Unfortunately this bypasses the main menu, so people who enter this way will not be able to save unless they return to the menu (unless they have logged in previously and have active cookies).  I'll see if I can come up with a solution to this...maybe in-world login stations.  But it might help gain more interest at least.

Oh, by the way...to help music load in time you can preload rooms before entering them.  This starts the music loading process and once loaded the music will be stored for the rest of the session.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 03, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

Cool!

... starts considering url based secret rooms...

But more reasonably, yeah that should be neat. Hope it helps get some interest. I’d try to put it out there some more, but I barely know anyone and have a relatively small online presence, so I doubt there’s much I can do.

Edit: I was testing Lusuria inn dialogue, and I got the same kind of lag that I get in Droom2New in the desert. Only happened one, but it's quite strange that I'd get it there, since there's not much there.

Edit: Okay, it keeps happening.

Edit: And the credit scene is also failing. I start it in the inn, the screen goes black from the black flash, nothing happens, I wait five or so seconds, and then the credit scene ends and everything returns to standard continuing.

Edit: And that time, when I walked into the inn, testing a fix to Azeron's name issue, I had a full crash (one of the Oh Snap ones, like the other crashing issue). Don't know if this is an isolated incident or not, I just figured I'd note it.

Edit: Fixed the Rel unlabeled dialogue and Azeron's name. The credit scene is still broken, but for now, this is everything I know of.

Is there a problem with the music somewhere? I usually play muted, so I haven't noticed anything. I didn't notice that edit until now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:17:44 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 04, 2018, 05:07:33 am »

Music (all sounds, really) start loading when they are called, and then play when they are done loading.  The sounds are stored in memory for the rest of the session, but when they first run they can take a fair amount of time (sometimes close to a minute for longer songs). This is required for sound manipulation, though I should probably make a streaming option for music that doesn't need to be manipulated... In any case, you can avoid this by preloading the room ahead of time, which starts loading all files that will be required by that room.  (This will also make rooms load faster, the loading time for a room is mostly getting to the required graphic files).  I don't really have a solution for the first room of a given world, though one idea is to make the first room a simple "atrium" using basic graphics and sounds to stall the player while the next rooms preload.

I'll check out the bugs you mentioned. Strange, but I did make some internal data structure changes in order to accelerate the framerate.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 04, 2018, 07:39:41 am »

Okay. I’ll try using preloading to fix the song delays. Although several tracks (notably boss tracks) only play when enabled... if I started and then immediately switched a song, would that make just the song preload so I could load those songs ahead of time?

Thank you. Hopefully any required solutions are easy to reach.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 04, 2018, 04:17:44 pm »

Well, I couldn't replicate the bugs you were talking about...might have to do with something in the world builder, I'll check that later.

I did do a complete rebuild of how the credits work - non-media contributions will now show up, and media and objects are now divided up by category.  I wasn't sure exactly how best to describe the world builder's own contribution without adding a whole bunch of objects, so the world builder's contributions to their own world are not specified in the credits.  Maybe when a large part of a given category falls under a single contributor their specific contributions don't need to be mentioned.

The way that I built the new credits system can also potentially make smart analysis of how certain objects are used, like separating "enemy design" from "character design" or things of that nature... I'll have to experiment to figure out what works.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 04, 2018, 04:20:29 pm »

Weird. It did seem to mostly happen when I loaded the room from the world builder, so that would make sense. Thanks for taking a look.

Neat! I'll take a look at it when I go through Lusuria again to make sure everything is fixed.

Sounds cool.

Edit: I had a flash of inspiration on how to make a boss I had some ideas for, so I am doing that instead tonight. I've been thinking about this for quite some time, so I'm hoping it works.

Edit: It works on the first test projectile. The boss saves the player's position and activates a variable that makes each projectile create a marker that stores the projectile's position, speed, and face, and then triggers another variable that destroys all current projectiles, moves the player, and makes the markers recreate the old ones. It works like the Omega Flowey's Save and Load ability in Undertale, if you've played it.
The boss is themed around time, so I figured jumping around time was fitting. They'll also slow and speed up everything, and stop all projectiles totally for a few seconds before making them move MUCH faster for a few. All in all, it should be interesting.
But this isn't for anything soon, I just wanted to make the concept while I still had the idea.

Edit: The tutorial page seems to be down down for some reason. Probably worth a check.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:32:01 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 05, 2018, 11:55:03 am »

Nice idea!  Looks like you figured out a way after all.  Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Omega Flowey used the same method or something similar, since Undertale was made in Game Maker and as far as I know it is not normally possible to save states in the way that he did in Game Maker.

Tutorial page is fixed.

I forgot to mention that I added the ability to perform basic operations on variables using the Set Variable event, which should make some things a bit more convenient.  Now you don't have to do {Set variable to variable + 1} anymore, you can just select Add and then put in 1.  I guess that's more convenient, anyway.  I might also put in some common variables as a dropdown list to make things more convenient for new players who are just starting to use functions.  Got to think of ways of making the interface more user friendly.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 05, 2018, 04:20:10 pm »

Thanks! In the end, I just realized that I needed to change my perspective and look at saving everything in the room rather than the room itself. I’d feel kind of silly for not thinking of it earlier, but I wasn’t actively working on it, so I guess I don’t really need to.
Would make sense if that was how it worked for Omega Flowey. It seems like a pretty good way of handling it without access to save states.

Good. I was going to check the exact time that _update_before triggered, and I noticed that. Now I’ve checked, so I’ll know for the future.

Yeah, I noticed the changes to that. But by now I’m just used to doing it this way, so I didn’t bother. Doesn’t take much extra time to do it this way, so...
Some basic variables on a list would probably come in handy for new folks, so that’s probably a good idea.

Edit: Is there a good way to change an object's current speed with variables separately from changing its max speed? I tried _spd, but that does nothing, and _vel couldn't be changed in the in-world object editor menu.
I can think of a workaround, but it would be kind of goofy and potentially could lead to long-term trouble, so I'd prefer to avoid that for now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:39:23 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:48 pm »

There seems to be an issue with editing array-based variables by clicking on them in the object editor, but they do work if you use the "Set Variable" button or scripted events.  So you can set X and Y velocities using _vel.  (You can also specify either the x or y velocity by using _vel.0 and _vel.1 respectively.)  However speed will still be capped by the max _speed of the sprite unless their _speed is -1.  Not sure exactly what you're doing with it but this might be enough.

There's some weird code that overrides max speed during knockback but you can't call knockback directly yet, except by creating an actual hitbox.

I do need to come up with better solutions for this kind of thing, right now the whole speed scripting is rather overcomplicated.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 90