Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Weapon Idea: Poisoned Water Gun  (Read 10668 times)

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
New Weapon Idea: Poisoned Water Gun
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:48 pm »

So you know how some generated beasts have vomit/blood that's nice and syndrome-y? How could we weaponize the sprays to be used in a poisoned water gun?

Ideas people! We're weaponizeing something here.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Weapon Idea: Poisoned Water Gun
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »

Leave out bolts to be covered in blood/gas/dust/extract? I remember reading about someone doing that with evil biome dust that makes it's victims instantly bleed out.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:56:24 pm »

No I want a reusable poisoned watergin system using minecarts.

I can't figure out how to get minecarts filled with contaminated water or how to contaminate the water.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:02:30 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:23:36 am »

I've not done much science with syndromes or forgotten beasts, but I think that theoretically a forgotten beast trapped behind fortifications could allow it to shoot off deadly dust at a suitable target, if you allowed water to pass inebetween the beast and its target, said water would probably become contaminated with the syndrome, and sending a minecart through it will allow it to pick up the water to be propelled at high speed...
This space for rent

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 04:20:34 am »

It's gonna be a terrible weapon, because water doesn't spray, it just launches a single unit of water which doesn't actually become water until it lands. I also strongly suspect that the water when it lands is generated new and won't be contaminated.

Just launch the FB instead. By using another FB to shoot dust to knock it off a cliff onto a featherwood platform near the invaders.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:54:39 am »

I'd be more worried about the water in the minecart getting contaminated, contaminants behave weirdly and don't like to follow water past grates, and pumps, and it wouldn't surprise me if that extended to minecarts.

Also Gavj is right. Even if you somehow got the contaminants to spread using a watergun, the boulders made of water will be much more deadly. Its like shooting a dwarf with a slade ballista bolt with some snake venom on it.

You're best bet here would likely be a complicated drowning chamber that has some contaminants when filled, and a rinse cycle to collect them somewhere innocuous until the next death cycle. I've tried playing with contaminants and my experience was disappointment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

Poisoned watercannon's already been done I think it was in the succession game Battlefailed.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:10 pm »

No the water would be fired through the contaminants and left to spread.

Oort

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN'T_LEARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 02:47:57 pm »

Well hey, you test it and tell us how it goes. This is how !!SCIENCE!! happens.

Do you need help with rigging up the minecarts? That's not really my area of expertise, but the wiki is a good place to start.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »

Well hey, you test it and tell us how it goes. This is how !!SCIENCE!! happens.

Do you need help with rigging up the minecarts? That's not really my area of expertise, but the wiki is a good place to start.

Test conducted. Created 1x1 pond in the arena. Filled pond with 20 independant great white sharks. Unpaused. Massive blood/tooth spray ensues.

Created human with minecart and sword (grand master of sword and swimming). Dispatched the last, badly wounded shark. Climbed into pond and dropped minecart. Waited. Picked up minecart and left pond. Examined cart - it contains "water laced with great white shark blood [833]".

Previous experience is that water laced with contaminants will transmit syndromes. I suggest taking an established, working "water gun" design and contaminating the feed water pool. Anything's blood will do - we just want a proof of concept of the rapid-fire with contaminants.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »

Tested with bleeding crystal FB, causes unconsciousness.

Results:
Somewhat inconclusive, the goblins this was tested on actually killed them with the water. The few remaining subjects might be unconscious from their injuries. Sent death squad whippers to finish them.

Things to note: Water guns are deadly, might need a stronger opponent.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 03:01:34 pm »

Tested with bleeding crystal FB, causes unconsciousness.

Results:
Somewhat inconclusive, the goblins this was tested on actually killed them with the water. The few remaining subjects might be unconscious from their injuries. Sent death squad whippers to finish them.

Things to note: Water guns are deadly, might need a stronger opponent.

I'd start with a modded material with a specific syndrome. Something deadly and easy to recognize. Maybe instant necrosis.
Then perhaps you could run a few tests with two identical water cannons, one with contaminants and one without. Then we could see if the added contaminant actually makes a noticable difference.

I approve of the idea though. I always like to kill things with contaminants, but they are difficult to weaponize. My gas chamber took so much modification and effort to build that its hardly worth it, I appreciate other designs.

Could we create a contaminated water source, then use automated minecarts to collect and dump contaminated water into a room, like a drowning chamber? With less velocity we would see less damage from the water, and plenty of damage from the contaminant.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »

A grate between the projectile and the target might make the gob of water intoa spray. Other then that, would it be possible to set up a workshop that milks poison from a creature (or takes a barrel of poison) and creates a bucket of contaminated water?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 06:24:20 am »

I have done syndrome science before and it's probably one of the most confusing and vague areas of DF, simply because it's so hard to test.
(My science mainly concerned poisoning weapons and the exact conditions for the spread of syndromes)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2 3