Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1177751 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 206.-1 TBF
« Reply #6675 on: November 28, 2016, 01:28:48 am »

"You seem to think he would be the only one to try to stop them, Khozek. This wouldn't be part of the discussion if like-minded mages were a fringe group, or lacked the power to enforce such laws. As it stands, let me make it clear to all of you listening that those who seek shelter in the Tower because they do not wish to partake in the murder and violence outside its walls are under my protection. I do not care what violence and murder you perpetuate outside of it, but your life is forfeit the moment you bring it into my domain or try to abuse that protection. Like trying to hide from a fight you started. If you do not have the power to see it through, you should suffer the consequences. As far as lawfulness, those laws we agree to place upon ourselves as mages are the most lawful because they have been decided upon by those they would affect. "
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: November 28, 2016, 01:50:29 am »

"You seem to think he would be the only one to try to stop them, Khozek. This wouldn't be part of the discussion if like-minded mages were a fringe group, or lacked the power to enforce such laws. As it stands, let me make it clear to all of you listening that those who seek shelter in the Tower because they do not wish to partake in the murder and violence outside its walls are under my protection. I do not care what violence and murder you perpetuate outside of it, but your life is forfeit the moment you bring it into my domain or try to abuse that protection. Like trying to hide from a fight you started. If you do not have the power to see it through, you should suffer the consequences. As far as lawfulness, those laws we agree to place upon ourselves as mages are the most lawful because they have been decided upon by those they would affect. "

"Would you have a problem if I were to extract revenge long time coming to certain mage living in your Tower?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: November 28, 2016, 02:13:32 am »

What we have here that is being proposed is an organized war between the most powerful mortal beings in existence, a full-scale war between mages on this tiny rock at the edge of reality, a war complete with tiny nations where pursuers of science and creation seek refuge until they eventually choose to enter the fray and take part in a battle to become a god, sharing power with whatsoever faction they choose. A system of perpetuated chaos and all the beautiful wonders and horrors alike that it creates in the hands of those as powerful as ourselves. An eternal harmonic entropy which creates and destroys in the most glorious fashion, perpetually for as long as whatever creature supports this island draws breath, and ever longer if even just one of us so wills it.

There's nothing about this that I don't absolutely love. These laws you are about to put into place, these laws that perpetuate order and chaos alike, I support them with all my being.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:15:33 am by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: November 28, 2016, 05:15:14 am »

"Is there any need for actual laws barring common sense? This island was created for murder, and for murder it should stand. Whenever mages gather into groups and agree upon defending 'their' pocket domain from hostiles, it is their right to do so. But when they leave their domain to seek fortune outside, they should be valid targets. Each mage may take others life, each mage may defend himself. If one group were to endanger all others - it is simple logic that mages would gather and eliminate the offenders."

Ao took a sip from random bottle before continuing:

"In essence, I see situation as it stands, quite fitting. Behave thyself around domains of others - or be murdered. Adhere to the island creed - or suffer from your ignorance. Do not pretend to seek peace while making war - and live to see another day."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:16:53 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: November 28, 2016, 10:25:20 am »

"Greetings, wizard of curses, we meet again. I see you are in good health."
"I'm never in good health, though I suppose things could always be worse. Will be worse soon, I'm sure."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:46 am »

"Greetings, wizard of curses, we meet again. I see you are in good health."
"I'm never in good health, though I suppose things could always be worse. Will be worse soon, I'm sure."

"It will, I promise you that much."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: November 28, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »

"Is there any need for actual laws barring common sense? This island was created for murder, and for murder it should stand. Whenever mages gather into groups and agree upon defending 'their' pocket domain from hostiles, it is their right to do so. But when they leave their domain to seek fortune outside, they should be valid targets. Each mage may take others life, each mage may defend himself. If one group were to endanger all others - it is simple logic that mages would gather and eliminate the offenders."

"In essence, I see situation as it stands, quite fitting. Behave thyself around domains of others - or be murdered. Adhere to the island creed - or suffer from your ignorance. Do not pretend to seek peace while making war - and live to see another day."

I see no difference between what you have said and what is being proposed.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: November 28, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »

I see no difference between what you have said and what is being proposed.
"Laws. Mages of order, such as your lot, can't seem to live without them, while adept of chaos vehemently oppose the very notion of abiding to some sort of rules. So, why do we need laws, again? They would serve no purpose but to seed warfare and reap despair."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: November 28, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »

"Laws. Mages of order, such as your lot, can't seem to live without them, while adept of chaos vehemently oppose the very notion of abiding to some sort of rules. So, why do we need laws, again? They would serve no purpose but to seed warfare and reap despair."
Exactly. These are laws designed to seed warfare and reap despair, to ensure that chaos will endure and that those who follow chaos will be sated as well as those who, in my opinion somewhat foolishly, choose to use this land for creation alone. With these laws in place, those who are predisposed for law and those for chaos can exist in the most beautiful and mix of equal parts harmony and entropy. A perfect world, in which there is no ruling power, where chaos cannot oppress law and law cannot oppress chaos, where there is only war and all it entails in both destruction and creation; nothing more, nothing less.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: November 28, 2016, 03:48:31 pm »

"And what makes you think you've got the skill and authority to stop a particularly clever mass-killer, Viznor? Why would it be you that stops them? The druid was a fool or he'd have tossed his stupid 'balance of nature' in the bin and joined me when he had the chance. If you ask me, your proposed laws are unlawful."

"I am powerful, but that is irrelevant. The strength of a Council lies in its numbers, and in what they might create. The collective created a great Tower for the first council, which stands proud and strong despite the machinations of those who would have it destroyed or used for ill. A second creation has the potential to uphold our society, or to halt threats before they become deadly.

These agreements would be lawful not because I created them, but rather, a collective decision to obey and preserve them, and because they seek to grant each mage their desires, peace and violence existing in a loose sort of harmony."

What we have here that is being proposed is an organized war between the most powerful mortal beings in existence, a full-scale war between mages on this tiny rock at the edge of reality, a war complete with tiny nations where pursuers of science and creation seek refuge until they eventually choose to enter the fray and take part in a battle to become a god, sharing power with whatsoever faction they choose. A system of perpetuated chaos and all the beautiful wonders and horrors alike that it creates in the hands of those as powerful as ourselves. An eternal harmonic entropy which creates and destroys in the most glorious fashion, perpetually for as long as whatever creature supports this island draws breath, and ever longer if even just one of us so wills it.

There's nothing about this that I don't absolutely love. These laws you are about to put into place, these laws that perpetuate order and chaos alike, I support them with all my being.

Exactly. These are laws designed to seed warfare and reap despair, to ensure that chaos will endure and that those who follow chaos will be sated as well as those who, in my opinion somewhat foolishly, choose to use this land for creation alone. With these laws in place, those who are predisposed for law and those for chaos can exist in the most beautiful and mix of equal parts harmony and entropy. A perfect world, in which there is no ruling power, where chaos cannot oppress law and law cannot oppress chaos, where there is only war and all it entails in both destruction and creation; nothing more, nothing less.

"In short, I wish to bind each side as loosely as is possible, so that they may coexist as part of a greater whole. You seem to understand my purpose, and if that is the case, I am glad to have your support."

"The laws I propose are to prevent order from overstepping its bounds, and to restrain chaos only as much as is necessary. They are to prevent extremes- peacekeepers who become tyrannical, or chaos which devours itself and all else. They allow the system to accommodate the desires of both the peaceful and the violent, and steer it away from stagnation or death."

"Rule of might has kept the system stable, thus far, but it leaves much to be desired. Boundaries remain unclear, factions rub against each other almost constantly, and we have come to the very tipping point on both sides of the scale. This Council is an effort to stabilize it, while enabling those who wish to live out their lives in one manner or another to do so."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:53:17 pm by Whisperling »

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: November 28, 2016, 04:15:56 pm »

I'm glad we agree, Viznor.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: November 28, 2016, 06:34:38 pm »

Turn 207

Summon a cube of glowstone and continue to attempt murder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blake placed a fourth rune on Cuberac's remaining leg and other three flared with pain. The pain rose and the fourth rune glowed, brighter than others. Then the pain peaked and the rune burned up. Maybe it was the burning rune, maybe it was the pinch of glowstone dust that Cuberac summoned, but Blake got distracted and took the bladecube to the side of the head again. He dropped to the ground moaning. There it was, Cuberac's second chance at execution.

fire breath on the wasps then fly away from them, to the tower unless they are in that direction, in the direction with the least mages if they are

Easter focused, his last few spells were whiffs, but this one would strike true. He focused on form and function, and unleashed perfectly formed and utterly loyal, but also few in number, wasps. There were five of them and they flew off towards Seva, who had about had it with this. With remarkable agility, he bent every which way and spat fire at wasps that had beset him. Insects were burned, larva were boiled and eggs were incinerated. Seva stopped only because he had ran out of firebreath, but he had also ran out of enemies. Deciding he had wasted enough here, Seva flew off back to the Tower. Below, Easter checked his finally regrown wings and wondered if there was any merit to following.

((well, for one, I'm pretty sure I used up those two +1 pot's, and I think I noticed having a few others which I had stated a desire to use up entirely. It's been a bit though, I can't remember super clearly.))

MOAR POWAAAAARRRR!!! (4 +1/+1 essences)
Continue the ritual. +2/+2 essences

{I have checked, and apparently, I forgot to remove essences at least once. I fixed that time, but this is more clusterfuck than I really have time to deal with right now, so I'm going to say that your essences are as they are now and will try not to miss them again.}

The sword had almost entirely vanished by now. Sharp edges scattered out of sight one by one and only faint remains of strings retained the promise of something at the end of the ritual. And still they could go for more safely, as even if they both failed the sacrifices would still protect them. This was gone far past the original idea, but not to the edge of what could be done.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Well, this is inconvenient."

Doktor Diabolical tries again, building on what's already been done. 1 +1/+1 essence, 1 +1/+2 essence. Afterwards, if he isn't attacked, he makes 3 robots essences. If he is attacked, he sics his cubebots and attack drone on the attacker.

Doktor focused on his utterly unsuitable footwear and magicked at it again. It worked out less than perfectly. The platform did split in two parts, and it did split into parts, but that was about it. The parts did some mysterious purpose and the "slides" were no better than before.

Poke around for anything like ruins or caves with 'strong presences'. Probe them.

Khozek looked around the swamp. It was hard to tell which part went "gloop" the least, so he relied on his more mythical senses. So he guessed, and shot out a probe spell into the swamp. The spell bent space, and cut out a piece of rock from somewhere below the water. Upon closer inspection, the stone was carved, and probably was part of a face, as it contained an eye. Khozek traced his spell and figured that the stone was taken from about two meters below, making it strange that swamp was not a bit more solid.

Filtiarn observes the magical screen suspiciously. "What is this now?"

Make three essences.

A screen appeared before Filtiarn. It was a strange thing, apparently a spell of communication. Who would want to talk to him here? Understanding dawning, Filtiarn activated the screen and saw the face of his hated enemy. There were others but they did not matter. He was being taunted, but he would hold for now. Time would come soon enough.

It had been a while since Redrum had last reanimated a creature of this size, and the hydra's polycephalic anatomy was proving to be a more complex obstacle than he'd initially anticipated. Perhaps pausing to perform a simpler task would allow him to recharge his reserves before another attempt.

Further enchant (chaotic +1/+1) the soul-trapping lantern, converting it into an on-demand spirit incinerator.
Following this, craft 3 essences.

Redrum decided to take some time off from resurrecting the hydra. He had been going for almost five minutes without committing a really-nobody-doubts-an-attrocity and he was getting twitchy. By his command, the lantern walls flared with pale green flame. He looked it over critically. The flame was weak, any soul placed inside would burn for hours. Redrum judged this to be an advantage.

If I haven't made three essences this turn, make three essences.

Magus N.A. casually listened to the conversation going on. There was some arguing, a few thinly veiled threats, some old salt between Filtiarn and Gloomy. Pretty average for wizards, although far calmer, possibly because fireballing people for disagreeing wasn't an option. Alliances seemed to become slightly more solid as grudges escalated. It would be fun to watch if he wasn't involved in this.

5 essences.

Duritarum mostly ignored the screen that appeared next to him. He was busy focusing power and he was far too focused to care about some other mages squabbling. There was still no response to his flare. The pools seemed strangely empty and the distant towers seemed to have no skeletons left in them.

Ao stared at the screen in slight disbelieve. Normally, an ordinary beer - especially when your organs can purge alcohol intoxication at will - could not make you see things. Especially so complex and unusual ones. So, was it a foreign intervention or drink sideffect?

"More experiments are needed..."

Observe the screen while tasting another alcoholic beverage, to see if things change. 4 more essences which I'll never use.

Ao picked up another bottle which turned out to be white wine. It went well with the arguing going on in the screen, cheesy phrases going well with bitter taste. As bottle emptied, Ao began to participate more, though that was probably not related to drunkenness. There were some rules to investigate and positions to challenge. No normal bar could offer amusement as this.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 207 The Second Council
« Reply #6687 on: November 28, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »

I got only one action PM, but if you guys PM actions to me before tomorrow I'll do them for this turn.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 207 The Second Council
« Reply #6688 on: November 28, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »

Time to dig deeper.. thought Khozek.

Back up and attempt to open a hole near the estimated area of the face-stone using spatial disruption, expending my essence(s?) on this
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:27 pm »

If I may add but a word. So far what I've gleaned from this council as a whole is that the majority wants a system in place to allow each mage to live as they choose. However, while this seems to be in wide agreement, no one has yet offered a plan on how to accomplish this. As is such, I would like to offer my own solution to this problem.

Article 1:
The general idea is that we declare the tower, the Hex it is in, and whatever hexes lie directly between it and the current entrance portal chunk on a given map as neutral. Should the tower fail to make it through a map change then the entrance portal hex would be the only hex this would apply to.

What this amounts to as that no one would be allowed to start a conflict between themselves and another mage or mages while within the neutral hexes. If anyone begins a battle within the said neutral hexes then it should be considered an attack on the tower and therefore an attack on all. That being said, if a group of battling mages enters the sanctuary of the neutral chunks then they will be requested to cease their fighting while within the boundaries of the neutral hexes.

Article 2:
Mages are free to battle anyone who steps outside of the neutral hexes.

Article 3:
If a mage orders a minion to attack another mage or another mage's minion, it counts as an attack.
If a mage attacks another mage's minion, it counts as an attack.

Article 4:
If a monster or NPC enemy appears which is not a mage's minion, it is not awarded the same protections that are given to mage's and their minions.

Article 5:
Boss Monsters are banned from entering the neutral chunks on pain of death. This includes but is not limited too Evil Dragons, Bigholders, and similar creatures.
An exemption to this rule will be made in cases in which the boss was the shop-keep all along or to certain mini-bosses and recurring villains such as rivals.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 506