Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFlangOpt - Dwarf Fortress language file optimizer  (Read 13100 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFlangOpt - Dwarf Fortress language file optimizer
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:41:13 am »

Release announcement:

A tool for optimizing language_words.txt, and for checking whether your existing languages have gaps (as compared to your language_words.txt). Download it here. It's mainly meant for modders or for players who want to optimize their language file (very easy with the tool) and/or import older language files to your game. It can add zillions of new naming options but still end up with a smaller language file / less memory requirements than before.

Spoiler: utility description: (click to show/hide)

20 Real World Language Pack for DF31.25 (In process of updating)

Spoiler: Rambling notes (click to show/hide)

Project Roadmap:

- Updating language pack in .sig to DF40.0x. 3 languages down, 17 to go. Japanese has been completely reworked (there was too much "fake" Japanese in there. now, no words are English loan-words.)

- Create expanded language system, break apart plurals from singular, generate better real-world language support in 3 test languages - English, German and Japanese.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:52:41 pm by Reelya »

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You liked the idea then? :)

I'm still happy to help in any way. Not having any real programming experience probably means I won't be able to do too much though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:18:52 am by Uristsonsonson »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Uristsonsonson, progress report: I have imported the symbols file into my prototype program. as a side-effect, this alphabetized all symbols and the s_words (within each symbol), so i outputted that back to a file for you. Here is the Alphabetized version of the language_SYM.txt file :

http://jgame.net.au/language_SYM.txt

Here's my sorted language_words.txt file. The advantage of this is using it alphabetizes all the choices when manually naming groups etc:

http://jgame.net.au/language_words.txt

Note, this does not work if you already created a world, needs a regen / new world.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:01:26 am by Reelya »

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Language Mod - sorts words in-game alphabetically, more to come
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »

Cool! I'll replace mine with it on DFFD if you don't mind. I think mine is why it didn't work for me for whatever reason. :)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Language Mod - sorts words in-game alphabetically, more to come
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »

Cool! I'll replace mine with it on DFFD if you don't mind. I think mine is why it didn't work for me for whatever reason. :)

ok cool, chuck them both up together.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Language Mods. Alphabetic sorting, removed duplicate, more variety.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:06 am »

BUMP - enhanced language file is up, this gives many more options for syntax in fort names etc, whilst keeping the duplicate removal. Still works with vanilla language / word tokens.

Next up, updating the real-world language pack for DF40.0.x
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:38:43 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:07 am »

Working through the Japanese language files from DF31.25. A full check of the entire file, re-translating as necessary, which is almost all the time. Screw whoever translated this the first time, it was clearly a machine-job with no double checking, from way back when online translation was much more primitive.

About 1/3 of the words were merely English words rendered in their Romaji form, then transliterated back to the Roman alphabet, e.g. "Baby" in Japanese was "Bebii" in the language file. "Pull" would be something like "Puuru". All have been fixed into actual Japanese words.

The most eye-rolling one I've just come across is the translation of "Web" as "hoomupeeji". It took me a second to parse that and realize what it was. Translation software has improved a lot in the last few years, but you still need to manually check things for errors.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »

How would you handle the noun cases and suchlike in German? The way languages work in DF is pretty limited (you can't conjugate verbs at all, for instance) but I'd assume, that would require separating a lot of the base words into at least four different parts, maybe eight if definite articles are doable. At least, since there are tokens such as [OF_NOUN_SING] and [THE_NOUN_PLUR], maybe separating for example, "das Land" from "die Länder", "des Landes", and so on?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »

For German verbs, since you can only specify one form, I'll just go with the formal (plural) version since that works for "we" "they" or "you" forms for regular German verbs. It won't always be correct, buts better than the alternatives versions for I, he, she, it, which are too specific.

The plural verb form also works for using German verbs as a prefix: "we dance" is "wir tanzen", "they dance" or "you (formal) dance" is Sie Tanzen, whereas "dancing man" is tanzenmann". Tanzen works for "dance/dancing" in the most combinations.

And yeah you're right on with the thinking for how to make nouns more correct German.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFlangOpt - Dwarf Fortress language file optimizer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:52:34 am »

Bump: exe release of dflangopt.exe language tweaking tool v0.1. Some real handy stuff.