Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)  (Read 15057 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »

So, I'm playing 0.40.03, and I was 3 months in. 18 dwarves, neutral biome, just saw off the first trade caravan. There were no problems aside from the usual exploding eagles when, all of a sudden, I get the corpse discovery message. I pause, and after a brief inspection, it seems that something interesting has occurred. Namely, 14 of my dwarves were instantly killed.

As you might expect, this attracted my interest.

On closer inspection, it seemed that each of the dead dwarves were covered in "Unholy Murk." Unfortunately, with only 4 dwarves left there wasn't science I could do, but I did note that a completely uninfected individual instantly died upon touching a corpse.

Odd thing is, there was no evil weather, no forgotten beasts. I have no idea how this Unholy Murk could have gotten here, and it seems so ludicrously virulent that I have no idea how it could have spread from the caravan.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:57:23 pm by moseythepirate »
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »

That's unholy alright.
I'm very curious, haven't seen anything like that yet myself.

That's even worse than the dwarven Ebola I tried to make in 0.34.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:33 am »

So, I'm playing 0.40.03, and I was 3 months in. 18 dwarves, neutral biome, just saw off the first trade caravan. There were no problems aside from the usual exploding eagles when, all of a sudden, I get the corpse discovery message. I pause, and after a brief inspection, it seems that something interesting has occurred. Namely, 14 of my dwarves were instantly killed.

As you might expect, this attracted my interest.

On closer inspection, it seemed that each of the dead dwarves were covered in "Unholy Murk." Unfortunately, with only 4 dwarves left there wasn't science I could do, but I did note that a completely uninfected individual instantly died upon touching a corpse.

Odd thing is, there was no evil weather, no forgotten beasts. I have no idea how this Unholy Murk could have gotten here, and it seems so ludicrously virulent that I have no idea how it could have spread from the caravan.

Any thoughts?
What does legends mode say about the dead dwarves?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:14:38 am by Sorg »
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:20:20 am »

Very interesting. Perhaps the contaminant came in on the caravan? Was their any sign of this contaminant spatters anywhere?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:02:07 am by Melting Sky »

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:42:22 am »

The only contaminants I see on the map are copious amounts of dwarf blood. And legends lists them all as bleeding to death, with nothing else really happening at the fortress aside from a number of dwarves settling there, and then promptly bleeding out.

I was able to observe the Unholy Murk in action, by the way. After backing up this horrorshow, I followed the last survivor. As soon as he stepped on the corpse of someone how got taken by the lurgy, he started bleeding heavily all over his body. A few ticks later, he was dead. No mysterious contaminant pool (aside from the blood of the other dwarves), just Unholy Murk=>Dead.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:48:25 am »

*novel thought

This might be weaponizable--

Imagine, a pit filled with zombies, that died from this disorder. Being undead, they should be immune to this kind of syndrome, and thus be able to have the contaminant all over them. ANY CONTACT with them would result in prompt death. A suitably isolated necromancer captive oubliette to revive the new recruits, and you have a very deadly thing in your moat indeed.

Mohl

• Bay Watcher
  • L O D S OF E M O N E!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:50:51 am »

*novel thought

This might be weaponizable--

Imagine, a pit filled with zombies, that died from this disorder. Being undead, they should be immune to this kind of syndrome, and thus be able to have the contaminant all over them. ANY CONTACT with them would result in prompt death. A suitably isolated necromancer captive oubliette to revive the new recruits, and you have a very deadly thing in your moat indeed.
Might want some containment area for them when there gets to be too many recruits in the moat. Sounds like something a good drawbridge should work on.
Demanded a farmer give me his gold, he refused, I stabbed him in the throat and asked again. He was much more cooperative.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:05:11 am »

Oh. Sweet. Armok.

Horrified. Definitely horrified.

I just noticed something. The edge of my map is littered with dead animals, covered in blood and Unholy Murk. Just the edge.

So in other words, they enter the map, and are instantly exsanguinated. My only surviving dwarves are the ones who happened to be underground at the time, and as soon as they walk topside, they die. The Unholy Murk is in the surface air itself.

This is getting demonic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I kind of want to see how long I can keep this one guy going with no access to surface without instant blood explosions.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 01:45:40 am »

Wow, i'm going with the theory that this was done by Armok himself, no other explanation for something that discharges such high amounts of blood from every living being so quickly.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:03:47 am »

It sounds like some kind of truly evil weather but you are in the wrong biome for that. Crazy stuff.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:33 am »

Wow. Really wow. That sounds horrifying.
You say you're not in an evil biome?

Are the dead animals restricted to a single map tile area of your playing map, or ar they all around the whole edge?

If the former, you should try digging under that tile, see if you find an evil underground artefact radiating demonic death from below. Now that would be awesome!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:10:24 am »

Did you check all of the biomes when you embarked?  The one that is displayed is the one that has the majority of tiles, but if you embark in a 4x4 and 2 tiles are in a Horrifying biome, you will still get the effects, etc in those 2 tiles and syndromes will carry across the border.

If you didn't, savescum and retire and check the site you built on with F1, F2 etc. from the embark screen.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 05:28:26 am »

This is awesome. Please upload the save.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:18 am »

I had a similar experience in .34. Embarked in a terrifying embark, no signs of evil for a while, then suddenly everything on the surface instantly turns into husks covered in husking contaminants. No warnings, just *boop* husked. They swarmed my hole in the ground and husked all the dwarves in minutes.

I've since lost the save, and didn't think it had anything to do with the vanilla game since it was in Masterwork, heavily modded, and had DFHack. This could be a weird bug.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:05:48 am »

The weirdest thing though is it not even being an evil biome.... Are you sure you weren't in someway touching one without realizing? I know you probably checked, but it's a possibility.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5