Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OSX Native Version  (Read 2533 times)

lsmoura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Codiac
OSX Native Version
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

Hello, Bay12 (and everyone at the forums)!

I'm new around here. I just found out about your game a few days ago, but I instantly fell in love with it.

It's awesome!

How are you guys coming along into creating a stand-alone, X11-free OS X version?
I believe Dwarf Fortress is rendered 100% in OpenGL and you're using SDL for initializing the graphics. I'm not understanding the need for X11 here.

Is there any way I can help bay12 into creating a native OSX version?

Regards,
- Sergio Moura

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: OSX Native Version
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:11:00 am »

I think the only solution that fits within Toady's working method is 'donate a mac'. They're pretty protective of the source code. :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lsmoura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Codiac
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:36 am »

They should be protective about their source code. But it is not needed to make it work.

I'd just need the "wrapping" of the game initialization and make things work from there. They could even throw at my hand a ".a" file with the "everything-but-graphics-initialization" code and from there I could make the whole "porting" procedure (I'd need where to "tap" calls like "keyboard input received", "mouse input received", "process game events" and "draw stuff").

That being said, I would not mind to see the inner workings of DF. This is truly an work of art!

- Sergio Moura

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »

I was under the impression that SDL requires X11, but it could be a missing libfreetype that requires it instead (see this bug).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

lsmoura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Codiac
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »

I was under the impression that SDL requires X11, but it could be a missing libfreetype that requires it instead (see this bug).

Nice!! Thanks for that.

Time to do some more investigating...

If I can remove the X11 requirements, I'll release a new package.

- Sergio Moura

lsmoura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Codiac
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:45 pm »

libfreetype does remove the requirements for X11. And SDL 1.2.15 also removes the "fullscreen" crash.

But it's still very much of a hack, and It would be very nice to have the OSX "fullscreen" experience working properly instead of using up all my screen and Don't letting me swipe workspaces to read on my cheats... er... references.

I'm packaging everything up to update the release.
Thanks again for the heads up!

EDIT: New link is up!

- Sergio Moura
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:00:52 pm by lsmoura »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »

But it's still very much of a hack, and It would be very nice to have the OSX "fullscreen" experience working properly instead of using up all my screen and Don't letting me swipe workspaces to read on my cheats... er... references.
This is actually an SDL problem - I think SDL 2 might work with OS X spaces, but SDL 1.2 certainly doesn't.

Edit: I can't seem to reach your website ( http://moura.us/posts/dwarf-fortress-04010-osx ) at all.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.