Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Colonial Defense (OOC) (More players always welcome)  (Read 5259 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Colonial Defense (OOC) (More players always welcome)
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:53 pm »

IC thread

Welcome to the Terminus Galaxy, galactic year 14720.  Several thousand years ago, the Alliance of the Six Races came into contact with a race known as Humanity.  Five viewed the race with contempt, viewing the race as a threat to the stability that had been hard won.  They refused the askings of the Sixth, the Ilfrax, to attempt to get the Humans to join the alliance, and attempted to exterminate the race, believing their many millennium of existence compared to the humans would allow them to crush this new race easily.  They were wrong.  Unknown to the other five, two events had shaped the opinion of the Ilfrax towards the humans, one unknown even to the Ilfrax.

The first, which was unknown to the Ilfrax, occurred long before the alliance had been made.  A small team of the Ilfrax had come into contact with Humanity once before, when the humans had been at simple hunter-gatherer levels of technology.  In that time, they decided to experiment upon them, believing the race was unintelligent.  When some of their kind had discovered some primitive technologies among the race, the team had decided to halt their experiments and deployed an observation satellite.  At the time, communications between vessels was only viable in the short range, so in order to gather data, they would have to return to get the data.  They never would, as the navigation array for their slipspace drives malfunctioned, causing them to exit within the event horizon of a black hole.  It should be noted that the experiments performed during that time were not completed.  These incomplete experiments were taken over by nature, which wound up refining them ever further than any other influence could have done.

As a result of nature having taken over, the creativity, aggression, and determination aspects of the human mind grew, while parts that could have given psionic potential shrunk.  However, aspects of that potential lived on, within a subconscious link that grows among humans that were all striving towards the same goal, but also caused an easier ability to anger against groups with different ideas.  This, with the increases of creativity, aggression, and determination, caused humans to have fifteen wars that could be classed as 'World Wars', while other races only had one or two.  This level of experience caused them to become masters of all types of war, and their technology to skyrocket, making it to a multisystem nation within one hundredth of the time that other races had.

Interesting to note, while the other race's final or only world war caused them to have their nations decide to unify into a full one government over all, the Human's wars did not end this way.  Instead, each world wound up being populated by dozens or even hundreds of nations.  Each planet had one assembly that determined some basic laws that all nations upon the planet would have to follow, besides which, all nations ruled themselves with their own laws and regulations.  There is also a interplanetary assembly, but besides times of extreme need, it only determined a universal currency and what constituted as war crimes.

Enter the second and only remembered conflict of the Ilfrax and humanity prior to the Alliance war.  The Alliance was much closer to its establishment, but still had not been made.  A scout ship for the Ilfrax was exploring at the edge of their know space.  It wound up encountering a human settlement, and its commander, after contacting the nearest of three worlds dedicated to military, attacked the settlement.  Wars were still permitted within the human's governmental structure, but as soon as news of the attack got out.  Every last one stopped.  Emergency powers were given to the interworld aspect of the government, and they called up the entirety of the militaries of every world.  The small fleet that had been set out by the Ilfrax had met fierce resistance and was near obliterated by the sheer total of firepower.  However, the humans had taken a great amount of damage from the battle, but from it, they took as much of the technology of the Ilfrax as they could.  It was some time before they had been able to unlock the technology's secrets, but when they did, they found the ancient satellite.  Upon the discovery, the humans ripped out every scrap of information from it they could, which wound up giving them a complete history of Earth, then, after getting all information of how it was made they could in a short period of time, sent in a squad to just start breaking stuff.  This led to it making a jump towards its point of origin, one of the Ilfrax's most populous worlds, and detonating, killing off everything on the planet due to the huge quantity of its spent waste byproducts being scattered by it having hit a major power storage unit.

Upon this event, the Ilfrax managed, after a great deal of difficulty and the humans capturing seven of their planets, to make peace with the humans.  As the war that would result in the formation of the alliance had erupted soon after, any trade negotiations fell to the wayside and were forgotten by either side.  In the time between this and the next conflict, much of the information about the conflict was lost among the Ilfrax race, besides knowledge of who the humans were, and not to fight them.  On the other side, the Humans had used technology scavenged form the war to make leaps and bounds in technological progress, some of which fueled by a world-wide war that had erupted between the two on the thirtieth colonized world.

At any rate, when the Alliance declared war upon the Humans, the force that they had sent, which did not include the Ilfrax race, met with a high level of success.  Then the Humans got the interworld government to have its emergency powers, and the entire invading force was wiped out by the combined might of the Humans.  Blaming the failure upon the Ilfrax race when it was discovered that the humans were using technology apparently based upon theirs, they excommunicated them from the alliance, and brought down a fleet to destroy them.  Half the planets had been broken by a small force compared to what was being used by the Humans, which is when the Humans had managed to discover this information.  Desiring an ally, they sent a force that, using tactics perfected from the many wars they had been through, destroyed the force sent by the Five after Ilfrax.  Allying together, the Humans and Ilfrax fought against the Five, and, using continually shifting varieties of Human tactics, managed pull over the Second race, the Cerlek.  The combined force wound up forced the Alliance into peace, with Humans getting access to all the technology that had been produced.  The galaxy fell into the position of having two opposing alliances, the one of the Humans, Ilfrax, and Cerlek, and the one composed of the First, Third, Fourth, and Fifth.

Utilizing it, it was discovered that, around the twelfth colonized world, was a section of space with the potential for a wormhole.  Upon exploiting it, the alliance of Humans, Ilfrax, and Cerlek managed to get access to the Terminus Star System within a far distant galaxy.  Colonization efforts went underway, but after the world that was to serve as the hinge to colonize the rest of the space had been populated, the abnormality failed, stranding them in the Terminus Star System, cut off from the rest of the alliance.  After a time, pieces of history began to be forgotten, as well as a great deal of technology.  Eventually, seven civilizations had the world divided between them, and efforts to reach out to the stars began, so they could find their past, as the peoples of the planet able to remember they were not native to the world and fragments of the Alliance War, but nothing else of the time before.  They soon managed to land upon one of the neighboring planets and set up a colony there.  You are part of the force sent to guard Colony 009, though with no nations upon the planet, it should be easy killing of wildlife, right?

Now that you have gotten past that wall of text that is the backstory, I need to tell you about the game itself.  It is going to be a turn-based strategy game, where each player controls their unit.  Here is the sheet:
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Name is for the name of the character you are using.

Race is a cosmetic thing where you select whether you are Human, Cerlek, or Ilfrax.
Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Credits are gained after each mission and are used for augmentations for yourself, upgrades for your vehicle, and new weapons.

Appearance is entirely cosmetic.  Just base it off of the description of the race.

Background is mostly cosmetic.  I might pull in stuff from it.  Make sure to remember that the wars listed in the background above occurred several generations ago.

The cyborg is your character itself.  It carries statistics and the such, as, if your vehicle is destroyed, a saving throw is made to see if the character survives, who you take control of until your vehicle can be replaced.  They are significantly weaker than the regular vehicle in ranged combat, but you can lay charges that deal massive damage.  In addition, you can choose to jump into an ally's vehicle to boost its capabilities, with +1 movement and a boost to accuracy.  Also, while they start out weaker, they have an ability to carry twice as many augment slots, so they do have the potential to rise to high level.

The vehicle is what your character starts off driving.  Your options are to use a Tank, a Mech, an Armored Personnel Carrier (APC), or a Helicopter.  Each one changes stats in different ways.
Spoiler: Vehicle Modifiers (click to show/hide)

To fill out what remains on your sheet after you select the above, select a loadout type.  No, you cannot select separate loadouts for your cyborg and your tank.
Spoiler: Light (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medium (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heavy (click to show/hide)

Well, that took several hours to get prepared.  If anyone needs any help, just ask.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:08:17 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Defense (Character Driven Turn-Based Strategy set in the Future)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:15:29 pm »

Let me guess: you've been reading a lot of 'Humanity Fuck Yeah' stories?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »

I was feeling particularly uninspired today, so sorry for the short appearance/background. :v

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »

Let me guess: you've been reading a lot of 'Humanity Fuck Yeah' stories?

More like I took the concept, worked backwords from the end result, and added in a bit of XCOM,  Humans are Warriors, and Combat Pragmatist.  Probably wouldn't be as much so that if I could get into more depth of how exactly stuff went down, but I had spent several hours working on the OP already, so...
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »

PTW

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »

Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »

Mission 1 is going to start when 5 people have posted a filled out sheet.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Defense (Character Driven Turn Based Strategy)(3/min. 5)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:54 pm »

Ptw
 Will get a sheet made later
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:16:00 pm »

So we have a heavy mech and two light helicopters.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:46 pm »

So we have a heavy mech and two light helicopters.

Looking back, I think I might mix up the defense modifiers.  +2 movement is much more effective than +2 defense.  Think changing defense over to -4,-2,+2,+4 from -2,-1,+1,+2 would be better balanced against the movement speed (which would stay at -2,-1,+1,+2)?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:39:06 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:02 pm »

Is that acceptable? Also, I am probably going to try ditching the plasma rifle for something kinetic simply on principle, are we going to be able to switch weaponry at any time?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:48:11 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:18 pm »

Also, I am probably going to try ditching the plasma rifle for something kinetic simply on principle, are we going to be able to switch weaponry at any time?

Vehicles can only upgrade their weapons between missions, but Cyborgs can scavenge off the battlefield as well as purchase in the shops.  Flip side is that Cyborgs have a limited amount of munitions, while Vehicles have unlimited ammo.  Going to post the basic shop in the OP, but I'll need some input for more advanced weaponry that is something besides adding Mk. II, Mk. III, or something similar to the end.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Defense (Character Driven Turn Based Strategy)(4/min. 5)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »

Are we a human or are we a cyborg? I'm not sure what's going on...an that block of text is too scary big.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:50 pm »

Are we a human or are we a cyborg? I'm not sure what's going on...an that block of text is too scary big.

The first line and the last paragraph of the italics carry the most important information of the backstory.  After the italics is character creation, and holds all the information you need on that front.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 09:35:16 pm »

Think this'll be fun. Grabbing the last spot while I make a sheet.
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
Pages: [1] 2 3