Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Way to tell how someone died?  (Read 17067 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Way to tell how someone died?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »

And I've modded my dwarves to live until about four hundred, so there's no way any of mine will die of old age before I abandon/retire the fort. Can't believe we got to see one of these deaths.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:18 pm »

:o Natural death from old age!?  No wonder nobody figured it out!
I thought there was a special message for old age...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:13 pm »

If somebody witnesses the death "died of old age" will be notified. But if the dwarf dies out of sight of others and the corpse is found later, it'll just be "found dead" like with so many other causes of death.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

The thing is though that the body is supposedly bisected (half of it being found by the player, the other half already buried).
How does old age bisect you?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:51 pm »

The "Upper body is gone" just means they died, because the upper body is what everything builds off of. It means everything is gone, but it only shows stuff closest to the center of the body. It's why when someone loses an arm they don't show a missing hand as well.
Answer to why they thought bisection.
The half already buried was just the tomb being claimed before burial.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:04 pm »

The thing is though that the body is supposedly bisected (half of it being found by the player, the other half already buried).

The only coffins available were child sized, so they had to cut him in half and use two of them. Happens all the time.

(not really)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:28 pm »

It really says something about the community when the first thought upon seeing a mysterious corpse is that he was killed by either a ghost or a vampire, instead of thinking he died peacefully of old age.
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:39 am »

The same way atom smashing can bisect you (in thoughts of an atom smashed dwarf it states that the upper body is missing
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:22 am »

:o Natural death from old age!?  No wonder nobody figured it out!

Definitely a first for me  8)

It really says something about the community when the first thought upon seeing a mysterious corpse is that he was killed by either a ghost or a vampire, instead of thinking he died peacefully of old age.

Vampires, ghosts, toxic blood from forgotten beasts, getting drowsy and accidentally falling into a goblin-slicer, dangerous creatures entering the fort through the water supply -- all these are obvious answers. But a natural death of old age? What's that?  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:00:12 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 10:18:55 am »

Vampires, ghosts, toxic blood from forgotten beasts, getting drowsy and accidentally falling into a goblin-slicer, dangerous creatures entering the fort through the water supply

I would count these as "natural deaths", along with "incinerated, being dumped into magma for demanding slate beds"...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:32 pm »

Urist McGuy: "Oh no! Urist McOldguy has died"

Urist McSecondguy: "What's the cause of death? HFS? Forgotten beast? GCS? Goblins? Tell me man!"

Urist McGuy: "I... think he died of old age."

Urst McSecondguy: "WHAT! We have an upper age limit?!"
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »

AHA! Thanks for the tip to engrave a memorial to see what it says. It only tells me "died peacefully", but it also reminds me he was 155 years old -- which I believe is at the young end of the range where a dwarf can die of old age, but within the range. Memento mori, indeed.

Only a DF dwarf would die "peacefully of old age" in a way in which their torso explodes...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 01:14:15 am »

Wait... Dwarves can die of old age?  I call shinnanigans.   There has been much science done that proves for a fact that dwarves have almost no chance of surviving to an age where death by old age is even a possibility.  Clearly something fishy about this.

admitedly the science experiments probably had much to do with the short lifespans but ignore that.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 03:13:24 am »

Ask my Dad's original knees.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:26 am »

What output did deathcause give you? If something's broke we should try to fix it :P
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3