Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1469416 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Megathread- 2016 Edition
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »

Not quite the same thing, but wasn't Huey Long at one point both Senator and Governor of Louisiana?
Wikipedia says no. But even if he had, Huey Long broke pretty much every convention of American politics anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2015, 04:08:18 pm »

Isn't Mitt Romney another potential GOP candidate?

Anyway, Redking, can you elaborate on why having Volga German heritage is a plus for Schweitzer?  It seems about as relevant as his favorite color.
Because I'm also of Volga German heritage. Not saying it enhances his electability, but it enhances my chance to vote for him.

Interestingly enough, former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle is also of Volga German extraction. As is Lawrence Welk (who is a cousin of Schweitzer's, IIRC).

Also interestingly, the Volga German community in general tends to be conservative (because of religious background) and staunchly anti-Communist (in large part because Stalin done fucked our people up good) but most of the politicians they've produced have been Democrats.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »

Look who's back. But not, I fear, better than ever...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

Didn't his wife say at some point (not all that long ago, a few months) that she didn't want to go through all the campaign stuff again?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »

It's too bad that he's a veritable statesman, at least when compared to his competition.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:46 pm »

ROMNEY/ROMNEY/ROMNEY/ROMNEY/ROMNEY 2016

GLORY TO THE SOVIET ONION

It's too bad that he's a veritable statesman, at least when compared to his competition.
Not all that much. "I'll be whatever you want me to be" is not that great for anybody.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »

Well, his wife could have changed her mind since, I dunno.

I suppose he might have a somewhat better chance since last time around, he ran against an incumbent democrat, now it's a free-for-all.

Then again, he tried in 2008 (which was also a free-for-all) and I don't remember how well he did. Probably the only reason he got the nomination in 2012 was because he was kind of the least bad of the republican choices then.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:23 pm »

And while I don't think that situation has ever literally come up, I'm 99% certain you'd get legally smacked down if you did manage to win two elections at once. Characters of the American culture group have a hard demesne limit of 1.

Now I really want a Supreme Judge to run for president. Supremes are for life (/dementia/they themselves leave), aren't they? President Scalia. WHERE'S YOUR PUNY TRIBRANCH GOVERNMENT SYSTEM NOW.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:13 pm »

And while I don't think that situation has ever literally come up, I'm 99% certain you'd get legally smacked down if you did manage to win two elections at once. Characters of the American culture group have a hard demesne limit of 1.

Now I really want a Supreme Judge to run for president. Supremes are for life (/dementia/they themselves leave), aren't they? President Scalia. WHERE'S YOUR PUNY TRIBRANCH GOVERNMENT SYSTEM NOW.
Their title is "Justice", though I am now realizing that it sounds kind of silly to name an office after a concept. Less draconian than Supreme Judge, though. The Justices are appointed for life (technically they can be impeached if they're not fit for office and won't resign, but this has only been even attempted once and it failed). I don't think any of the Justices would ever wish that fate on themselves, they spend innumerable hours running the Supreme Court. There was, however, a reverse of this situation with Taft, whom said that his days as President were like a distant memory compared to how much he liked being on the Supreme Court.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »

There was, however, a reverse of this situation with Taft, whom said that his days as President were like a distant memory compared to how much he liked being on the Supreme Court.
Probably had something to do with the all-you-can-eat buffet at the Supreme Court dining hall.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:47 am »

There was, however, a reverse of this situation with Taft, whom said that his days as President were like a distant memory compared to how much he liked being on the Supreme Court.
Probably had something to do with the all-you-can-eat buffet at the Supreme Court dining hall.

I was reading through the Wikipedia article yesterday, and it's just the opposite. He apparently lost 80 pounds and several health problems after he no longer had access to the White House chefs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 05:53:01 pm »

He could still pop up in a VP ticket. Then again, he already had that chance when Romney picked him for VP.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 06:13:14 pm »

It's probably serious when he grows a beard to maximize his unelectability- nobody's sported facial hair since Taft, and nobody's had a beard since Benjamin Harrison.

Also, IIRC, Ryan wasn't really Romney's choice of running mate- the Republican establishment sort of forced him to take Ryan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:55:17 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1342