Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC) (5/5)  (Read 13811 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC) (5/5)
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »

Horizon of War

In the year 595, war was beginning.

Far north of the great Angaeron Ocean, the nations of Kurian and Saisur have long held an uneasy peace. Kurian, established from the great River of the West, north to the Northstone Badlands, and to the east the lands between the Borderland Bay and Baystone Mountains, is a peaceful land and mostly self-sufficient, with a minuscule army and the righteous king Decalit Sunum. Its neighbor, Saisur, is a militaristic nation bent on gaining as much land as possible. Stretching from the Eastpass Hills to the Highpeak Mountains in the east, with a massive swath of land claimed not fifty years ago stretching from the Northstone Badlands to the Tundra of Frigus itself, Saisur has an army eight times the size of Kurian's and has almost no non-military interests. It is led by the power-hungry emperor Virtirex kanSaisur.

Three weeks ago, Saisuran troops led by Virtirex's right-hand man, the dread Dragon Knight and wielder of the unholy blade Nalgrad, marched well beyond the border established in the year 247 between Saisur and Kurian, taking Fort Acies for their own. The Dragon Knight made an official declaration of war two days later, and the army has been slowly advancing west, annexing more territory in the name of Saisur with every step. Their forces, currently fighting through the town of Sumoenia, have almost nothing to stop them.

That is where you come in.

You five were small-time mercenaries, working on putting down bandits and brigands, until you were approached by King Sunum. The King has called for your aid and wishes for you to lead a group of conscripts to victory in Sumoenia and put the Saisur war effort on hold while he calls for aid from his cousin Lord Marex, leader of an order of paladins in the south. Out of whatever reasons you have--loyalty to your country, personal gain, staying out of trouble with the law--you have agreed. You five, once mere soldiers of fortune, are now the greatest hope for Kurian.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Players
Nerjin is playing Ritter Nymandus von Cahuzak, a human Knight.
Flying Dice is playing Norward Hawklight, a human Warblade.
tryrar is playing Kellendra Bloodthorne, a human Barbarian.
Kassire is playing Stannis Erzier, a human Battle Sorcerer.
harbingerjm is playing Voreldarsjach, a [kobold hybrid something] Dragonfire Adept/Marshal.

Waitlist
My Name is Immaterial

IC thread.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:55:12 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:28:33 pm »

I already stated my interest in this. I will likely do a Knight if Players Handbook II is allowed. If not... I don't know yet.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:28:40 pm »

PbP or live?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:30:19 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons: Horizon of War (3.5) (OOC) (1/5)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:48 pm »

Is Player's Handbook 2 acceptable for classes?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »

Yes. Forgot to add that.

But you have to cite it, because DnDtools is offline and I haven't found a duplicate yet.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:48 pm »

Other questions:
Can we stack free LA and actual LA? What about Racial Hit Dice? Do we take our levels in giant or whatever and like, them, or can we buy them off with our free LA budget, or what?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:53:50 pm »

Can we stack free LA and actual LA?
I guess, yeah.
What about Racial Hit Dice?
Uh, where are you going with this?
Do we take our levels in giant or whatever and like, them, or can we buy them off with our free LA budget, or what?
You want to play a giant? I'm sorry, but no. Just... no. That much of a STR bonus is just too good, the game would get snapped in two.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:58:01 pm »

Probably not a giant. That was just an example. But even something remotely unusual like a Satyr has a bunch of RHD loaded in with it. Unless you just want us to grab templates?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:00:11 pm »

I was thinking templates, yeah.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:36 pm »

Alright, bowing out then. No slight to you, but "No interesting classes, no interesting races, melee mercenaries all the time" just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to D&D, especially in a PbP game.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »

melee mercenaries all the time
I did say "recommend".
No interesting classes, no interesting races
Ok, I was probably skimpy on the races with the whole "Complete books + ToB + PHBII", but I gave you loads of classes. What were you thinking of?

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »

I'm looking over this and I kinda feel like playing psion, but I'm unsure if my idea would be beneficial and go hand in hand with the idea of the campaign.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:46 pm »

My first thought on reading the chargen rules was "Well, let's look at the LA list in the SRD. Hound Archon? Well, it has just enough LA and I've never played one before..." but then I scrolled down and saw that it requires 5 RHD as well. Most of the options have that problem. Either they have an unplayable amount of RHD, or they have LA for no reason, or they're a big pile of boring numbers.

There's the option of playing a tier 2 class, but all of the tier 2 and 3 classes available in the allowed books are Cleric/Wizard level if you build them intelligently, which entirely defeats the point of you banning wizards and clerics. I find swordsages and other Tome of Battle stuff boring (All they get is increasingly big fighting abilities) and can't be bothered to learn how psychic warriors work for a PbP game that will probably die before the month is over anyways.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:53:56 pm by Grek »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »

That's why I just treat Tawa's games as test runs for characters. If the game lasts I get to do something new. If not... Well I got some experience building a character.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10