Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: [Pathfinder] After the Rifting (ACTIVE)(3/5, Accepting players)  (Read 22167 times)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
[Pathfinder] After the Rifting (ACTIVE)(3/5, Accepting players)
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:07:03 pm »

"... And the heroes sealed the Endless Destruction, Dahak, in the depths of the world, bound with chains forged by Torag and enchantments woven by Nethys, never to seek the light of day or night again."
-From Annals of the Heroes of the Dawn, Year 4 of the Sealed Era (1973 years ago)

"The ground convulsed as though it were flimsiest silk in the claws of an angry dragon. A sound greater than the greatest thunder or loudest banshee erupted from the ground beneath mine feet.
Houses fell. A fire broke out in the Ale's Wrath. Our walls seemed to shake in fear, but looked like they would weather the quake.
And then the unspeakable happened.

The Keep buckled.

The Keep collapsed.

Our most impenetrable keep that stood in the face of a countless draconic onslaught- that held fast against seventeen years of constant bombardment from Hell's Denizens.
Crumpled like a house of sticks in a tornado.
My liege... My friends... I could care less...
But...

I signed that damned contract.

They vowed...
My family...
Hell broke our agreement.

Well... At least my soul is mine again...

I'll be damned."

-Last comments on life from Baen Dirae, late herald of the late Lord Belenus of the destroyed Sagiv Keep, and one of the Seven Traitors. Dawn of the Cataclysmic Era (Present)

"... and from the rift that was the earth shall arise the Dragon Below, Sealed by the Four Heroes of the Dawn. And thence shall also creep forth armies from the Three Planes of Damnation to overtake the mortal realm...
-Prophecy of Seer Faath, Dawn of the Prophesied Era (7 years Ago)

Hey, this is a campaign taking place in a world that went through the above events.

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Houserules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

After several months of fighting the army of demons in your homeland, you are poised to eliminate the viceroy ruling over your lands.

"...And from the ashes of their homeland, five New Heroes will rise, and take back their homeland. The Flame of Hope will blaze once more." -Seer Faath
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:19:36 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Pathfinder] After the Rifting (0/4, Accepting registrations)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »

Why, yes. This sounds quite fun. I'm in.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »

CR 15?

There's...so many possibilities...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »

It is truly beautiful. I didn't even really try with the dragon.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:10 pm »

I might join.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »

I'm fine with you playing a Gold Dragon. Pathfinder does include rules for leveling up monsters as PC's. It'd probably be better for you to start at like... young or something and advance with class levels; I'd accept a young dragon with 4 class levels as a CR 15.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:28 pm »

Alright, this has put me into Make-a-cool-character-by-bending-the-rules-because-I'm-the-GM Mode. It's difficult not to use one of my cool villain ideas, to avoid spoilers.

With that in mind, would you gauge the CR cost approximate of the following abilities, Delioth?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:43 am »

With that in mind, would you gauge the CR cost approximate of the following abilities, Delioth?

First off, Five minutes in your mind sounds like a terrifying prospect, even for me.

And make great creations, my friends. Oh, and you can sneak attack with a ballista
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:03:36 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:12 am »

-Kobold Terminator (MNII: This is the Half-Golem idea.)
For half-golems, see page 43-44 of this: http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf
Anything printed in that guide will be accepted as written.
Consider this when it comes to Half-Golems.
-The CubeYou see nothing!
No. I'm not sure what you're referencing, but no. And I do see that.
It's a reference to something he refuses to reveal in one of his other games.
-Bunch of Size bonuses, and people to use the character as a moving siege tower, complete with murder holes, cannons, ballistae, etc.
Just use a siege tower. You can recruit slaves workers for silver pieces a day. Even less, since every nearby source of employment is collapsed, burning, overrun, demonic, or some combination of those four. (wages for unskilled labor -1/2. Mercenaries are still taking full wage.)
I have no problem with the party wheeling around siege equipment. If you want to overtake a castle, you can (spoilers)
YES, BUT, for only +4 CR using the Giant Creature template, I can become Colossal. And then be large enough to carry a siege tower on my back. Speaking of, how much would a huge or gargantuan siege tower weigh?
-Throwing things
What do you mean?
Hulking Hurler. He's just writing down random character ideas at this point. Remuthra, consider the Belt of Mighty Hurling if you do choose to use this idea.
And make great creations, my friends. Oh, and you can sneak attack with a ballista
This got me thinking... I could play a sniping rogue, but definitely not the sniper archetype. Sniping goggles, the Far Shot tree and stupidly high Stealth bonus... would you allow this?
Can I ask what sort of combat environments and challenges can we expect? Open field combat? Dungeoneering? Point defence? Us being ambushed? Us ambushing? I don't want to roll up an inappropriate character.

Edit: Current ideas, just so they're written down:
Giant grapple/tripper/living siege engine.
Dragon.
Awakened T-Rex.
Necromancer, with massive army.
Sniping Rogue or Marksman.
[Generic Messiah]/Anti-Demon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:29:49 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: [Pathfinder] After the Rifting (0/4, Accepting registrations.)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:06:07 am »

-Kobold Terminator (MNII: This is the Half-Golem idea.)
For half-golems, see page 43-44 of this: http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf
Anything printed in that guide will be accepted as written.
Consider this when it comes to Half-Golems.
Those would be fine too

-Bunch of Size bonuses, and people to use the character as a moving siege tower, complete with murder holes, cannons, ballistae, etc.
Just use a siege tower. You can recruit slaves workers for silver pieces a day. Even less, since every nearby source of employment is collapsed, burning, overrun, demonic, or some combination of those four. (wages for unskilled labor -1/2. Mercenaries are still taking full wage.)
I have no problem with the party wheeling around siege equipment. If you want to overtake a castle, you can (spoilers)
YES, BUT, for only +4 CR using the Giant Creature template, I can become Colossal. And then be large enough to carry a siege tower on my back. Speaking of, how much would a huge or gargantuan siege tower weigh?

You're lucky I'm taking computer science courses and got bored and wrote a program that will ask for your height, width, and length of a siege tower, how thick your walls are, and how many decks you want on it. It does it for oak, maple, and cedar. It'll even spit out extra weight for metal plating.
Give me your parameters and I can spit back numbers.

-Throwing things
What do you mean?
Hulking Hurler. He's just writing down random character ideas at this point. Remuthra, consider the Belt of Mighty Hurling if you do choose to use this idea.
I'd probably just accept Hulking Hurler as-is. If you guys are too strong, then encounters will just get a tidge stronger. Weaker members may get loot directed towards them.

This got me thinking... I could play a sniping rogue, but definitely not the sniper archetype. Sniping goggles, the Far Shot tree and stupidly high Stealth bonus... would you allow this?
I'd accept that, but it modifies original penalty- none of this kobold sniper+sneaky sniper for a -0 modifier that doubles to -0. it would still be -20. but I will let you stack those two sniping feats (and it gets really fun when you get a distance hidden crossbow with the underhanded talent/quickdraw and a gnomish crossbow sight. what's that? I can hit you at no penalty at 200ft. with -0 to stealth. and maximum sneak attack damage. And did I mention that this attack can be a called shot with greater called shot?)

Can I ask what sort of combat environments and challenges can we expect? Open field combat? Dungeoneering? Point defence? Us being ambushed? Us ambushing? I don't want to roll up an inappropriate character.

Mostly outdoor areas, but significant participation in indoor (think castle-y) areas. There may be some opportunities for ambush, and some ambushes may take you. I don't expect point defense to be a big issue, and traps are probably a lower priority than normal. Remember from the opening narration that enchantments binding the Dragon Below were woven by Nethys himself (the god of magic). There are probably significant magical storms spreading. Like warriors-just-got-fireball-as-a-SLA-1/day storms. Arcane magic might not be the way to go. Divine magic should be safe. -ish.

EDIT: Just wondering, what do you guys think of maybe after this whole adventure is over, re-writing the exploits as a novel? If so, would the intro text be a good intro for such a novel?
Help us write a story!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:45 am »

You're lucky I'm taking computer science courses and got bored and wrote a program that will ask for your height, width, and length of a siege tower, how thick your walls are, and how many decks you want on it. It does it for oak, maple, and cedar. It'll even spit out extra weight for metal plating.
Give me your parameters and I can spit back numbers.
Sorry, Remuthra, but I have a new favorite DM.
Let's see... Let's have a square tower, 20 feet by 20 feet, three decks, 30 feet tall, 6 inch thick walls, metal plating and the toughest wood.

I'd accept that, but it modifies original penalty- none of this kobold sniper+sneaky sniper for a -0 modifier that doubles to -0. it would still be -20. but I will let you stack those two sniping feats (and it gets really fun when you get a distance hidden crossbow with the underhanded talent/quickdraw and a gnomish crossbow sight. what's that? I can hit you at no penalty at 200ft. with -0 to stealth. and maximum sneak attack damage. And did I mention that this attack can be a called shot with greater called shot?)
DELICIOUS. Someone just blow a hole in the middle of the castle wall, and I'll snipe through.

Mostly outdoor areas, but significant participation in indoor (think castle-y) areas. There may be some opportunities for ambush, and some ambushes may take you. I don't expect point defense to be a big issue, and traps are probably a lower priority than normal.
Okay. I'm still going back and forth between siege engine and sniper. Sniper is in the lead right now.
EDIT: Just wondering, what do you guys think of maybe after this whole adventure is over, re-writing the exploits as a novel? If so, would the intro text be a good intro for such a novel?
That would be awesome, assuming this is ever finished. Keep in mind, this is PBP. The intro text... it's a bit sparse. Maybe if you fluffed it up a bunch, then yes, it would a cool introtext.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:31:21 am »

Here are the results for that:
How long is your siege tower? 20
How wide is your siege tower? 20
How tall is your siege tower? 30
How thick are your walls? 6
How many decks does your tower have? 3
------------------------
Code: [Select]
Your siege tower weighs:
113,141.2425 lbs (oak)
80,625.5775 lbs (maple)
54,822.33 lbs (cedar)
Adding steel plating to the front would add 1,875.0 lbs
Adding steel plating to the sides would add 3,750.0 lbs
Adding mithral plating to the front would add 937.5 lbs
Adding mithral plating to the sides would add 1,875.0 lbs
Have a nice day!
(Commas added for clarity)

So it's heavy as hell.
A huge character with 46 strength can carry the cedar one as a max load.
A gargantuan character with 46 strength can carry the oak one as max load, and the cedar one as a medium load.
A colossal character with 40 strength can carry the cedar one as a medium load, or the maple one as a max load.
A colossal character with 46 strength can carry the cedar one as a light load or the oak one as a medium load.

The armor plating numbers I used for who could carry what are the mithral plating. Most of them end up about the same due to really big numbers.

Oh, and don't forget the muleback cords/ant haul(heavyload belt- add this to any belt for +3000 gp)

If you want to test numbers out, just use this.

And on the writing thing, I honestly don't expect this thing to make it to the end, I just needed a viable question on the narration- I need to get better at storytelling. Thanks for input!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:35:48 am by Delioth »
Help us write a story!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 12:32:45 pm »

Right, then I'm going for my first idea, which was my answer to the question, "What would you take if you could have superpowers?"

How much would the suggestion CR increase if it was communicable (plant a suggestion, that person can pass on suggestion with DC-2, and so on)?

How much would it take to get a light, short-range telekinesis, just so I can do things I would use hands for without moving? (And enough to float slightly, perhaps)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:58:49 pm by Remuthra »

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:39 pm »

I may go with greater invisibility
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22