Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Naxza's Cataclysm Server- Resurrected!  (Read 17218 times)

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: Naxza's Cataclysm Server- share your apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »

News, everyone. As I'm moving housing in a week and will soon be living directly on campus, which itself is pretty meanly firewalled and out of my capacity to open ports, the Naxzaclysm will be drawing to a close. You've from now until Friday to make your final lab excursions and rack up your zombie kill totals. I'll bundle up the world and character files so you can travel the world that was when it meets it living end.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naxza's Cataclysm Server- ending your apocalypse
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 11:03:35 am »

Server's going down now. Thanks to everyone who decided to share a game of Cataclysm, it was a fun project to host. I'll pack up the world and save files and upload them tonight, followed soon thereafter with a write-up on how you can host your own server using Linux.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naxza's Cataclysm Server- closing your apocalypse
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »

Might be time for me to invest in a Pi board.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »

I am going to attempt to make a server using an Rpi, but I doubt it will run well.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »

Is there a good guide somewhere for hosting a MP server for cataclysm?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2015, 08:30:18 pm »

I was going to write one up, so sorry about that. Got Linux? I'm doing a write-up for Linux. Here we go.

Important links:
General SSH Server guidelines
Compiling

Start by installing sshd, so give your computer a sudo apt-get install openssh-server, or maybe a yum install openssh-server if you're a yum kind of person. This'll let you (and other players) connect to your computer through ssh.

If you want to compile the latest experimentals and keep those up to date, you're gonna want to apt-get install github too. Sudo apt-get install git, and while you're at it, libncurses5-dev, libncursesw5-dev, and g++.

Spoiler: Router stuff (click to show/hide)

All done playing with your router? Back to Linux. Sudo or become root for the next bits.

You're gonna want to do adduser xxxx, with xxxx being the new name of your choice. I'd suggest cataclysm for the username. Give it a password (you're gonna be sharing this one, so make sure it's not the same as any of your other logins, or root). This'll make a new user, we'll call it cataclysm for the sake of consistency. Move into the new account's home page. Sudo git clone git://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA.git to make the folder. cd into your new Cataclysm-DDA folder and give it a make command. It should do the rest of compiling from there.

Great, now your cataclysm account has a Cataclysm-DDA folder containing cataclysm. To ensure that your cataclysm login can write around inside its folder and so the program can write saves, do sudo chmod -R a+rw /home/cataclysm and sudo chmod u+x /home/cataclysm/Cataclysm-DDA/cataclysm so your cataclysm user can launch it.

At this point, I'd suggest a shell script to control how the user logs in. Here's mine for example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your script should ask for a username, put that in a variable, and then launch cataclysm as:
/home/cataclysm/Cataclysm-DDA/cataclysm --shared --username $name (assuming $name is the variable you assigned the previously requested username to) --competitive

The shared command makes your users use one unified world, the username command lets you use only the character with the matching username (deters people from using other peoples' people), and competitive keeps people from using the debug menu. You probably won't need to play with administrator logins since you can just launch cataclysm as your computer's primary login to configure worlds or characters or whatever.

Following that, the exit command. This is the end of your shell script. I'll barf up my startup script as soon as I get back to my room for comparison.

Finally, you want users to only use this script when they log in as cataclysm, so do sudo chsh -s /home/cataclysm/script.sh cataclysm with whatever you named your script as. You might need to do a sudo chmod u+x script.sh to make sure that cataclysm can run this script.

Following that, you're done! ssh cataclysm@url to start playing. With luck. Hopefully. You might have to restart the computer once. As before, there are render problems when using putty unless putty is launched with certain options (if there's a way to configure this server side, I'd love to hear it).

If there's anything I missed, let me know. I'm sure there is. :X
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:55:00 pm by Naxza »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2015, 11:02:25 pm »

Very nice.
Sig'd, for reference and awareness.

e: I don't know of a way to force the settings, but running a banner on login with recommended putty-specific settings would probably work for solving the majority of user render problems without further effort from the host. (openssh has this option built-in)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:42:25 pm by n9103 »

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2015, 08:14:43 am »

Cataclysm has a MOTD feature, too, that's another one of the launch parameters- that's the --motdfile <filename> one that could be tacked on with --shared and such. It's a very good idea to add that as a message somewhere, actually.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naxza's Cataclysm Server- it shudders and begins to move!
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2015, 11:05:37 pm »

With new housing comes a new chance to host Cataclysm, and I thiiiink I've just finished setting it up. It might be a bit early for jubilations, but we're coming back up and I want YOU to be a part of our Cataclysm madness.

As before, you can connect as cataclysm @ nax.ydns.eu. The password is the same, too, if your memory stretches that far back- just ask me for it if you don't remember or you'd like to try it out for the first time.

That is, if I've got port forwarding right and ydns.eu still works.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:18:05 pm by Naxza »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »

Hooray! I'll try it out later. I think I still know the password, so no need to send it.
Raise the white flag and don't give up.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:08 am »

I'd be interested in joining in, I would need the password though. One thing I'm wondering is how the multiplayer world syncing/interaction works. Do you only see what others have done after you load a save? every turn? every time x seconds have passed?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2015, 07:37:56 am »

I luckily still have the password :3

Might need to redownload a client though. Will probably try to play this afternoon :3

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:16 am »

Well then. Looks like I should be popping back in. I need to make another solar powered buggy!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:39 am »

Odd. Just doing a test login to be sure I got everything right and I keep getting access denied despite putting in the password correctly.

Is this something to worry about? :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10