Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2958 2959 [2960] 2961 2962 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832191 times)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44385 on: December 09, 2015, 10:48:08 pm »

My snailman vampire wrestler succeeded in wiping out the necromancers from their tower. He couldn't read, but he figured the dwarves of Lordknife might appreciate the multitude of texts he plundered, so he dropped them off in their library.

Fast forward to now, with Lordknife unretired, and I have a Bone Carver reading "Choose The Afterlife."  This is gonna be good.
Proceed.
So far there haven't been any negative consequences!

The infection is spreading nicely, as you can see in the screenshot below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The children and the military are oblivious.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44386 on: December 09, 2015, 11:02:33 pm »

My snailman vampire wrestler succeeded in wiping out the necromancers from their tower. He couldn't read, but he figured the dwarves of Lordknife might appreciate the multitude of texts he plundered, so he dropped them off in their library.

Fast forward to now, with Lordknife unretired, and I have a Bone Carver reading "Choose The Afterlife."  This is gonna be good.
Proceed.

I'm liking their taste in literature. For the Love of the Tower, The Possibilities of the Group and Factual Tower are the seminal works about communal necromancy.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44387 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:02 pm »

I think my favorite title so far is "Life With The Secret", concerning the learning of the secrets of life and death by a human necromancer. I imagine that it's like a mashup of a self help, coming-of-age, confessional book.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:18:16 pm by thriggle »

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44388 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:29 pm »

Aww, I was making good progress converting my entire fortress to Necromancers, but a migrant wave is en route and it's throwing off my stats.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44389 on: December 09, 2015, 11:19:49 pm »

"Uncanny Dingo Men."

Urist McCoy has transformed into a Beast!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44390 on: December 09, 2015, 11:20:49 pm »

Aww, I was making good progress converting my entire fortress to Necromancers, but a migrant wave is en route and it's throwing off my stats.

The Tower: The Truth
Update: They aren't actually necromancers. You have a merry band of undeath truther conspiracy theorists.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44391 on: December 09, 2015, 11:48:30 pm »

So I'm building a tower that houses a massive and extravagant library containing the knowledge of the last thousand years for the betterment of the world and now you go and show me how to fill it with necromancers. I was really trying to be the good guy this time.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #44392 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:21 am »

Just adjust your frame of reference so that creating a massive library full of necromancers is a good deed.  Problem solved!
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44393 on: December 10, 2015, 04:56:01 am »

I think my favorite title so far is "Life With The Secret", concerning the learning of the secrets of life and death by a human necromancer. I imagine that it's like a mashup of a self help, coming-of-age, confessional book.

You should get rid of your military, so they too can become necromancers. Then 'raise' your children. Who needs military when you can have a zombie child soldier army.

Joseph Kony would be so proud.

EDIT: I wonder, do dwarves still have kids normally after they become necromancers? Will their kids be necromancers by birth?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:58:02 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44394 on: December 10, 2015, 05:26:43 am »

Proceed.

That's hilarious. It just had to be tried with the new reading dynamics. It's probably not affecting the military because they're busy training. If they were given a break they might go and look for a good read. It seems like you'll have to decide on when you're going to let them start raising corpses. Once they do those corpses will probably be at odds with every non-necromancer in the fort. The longer you can go without letting them raise anything the more your likely to eventually get. Of course there's all kinds of questions about loyalty and such. Zombie friends of citizens attacking non-necro friends. Hmmmm...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44395 on: December 10, 2015, 05:28:46 am »

Maybe their zombies will breed, like certain scenes in Brain Dead.

Question: What is the ideal number of dwarves to have in one squad, with the same weapon?
I vaguely remember something about 2 or 3-dwarf squads being most likely to spar.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44396 on: December 10, 2015, 06:16:16 am »

Just got my first artefact. My bookkeeper got posessed and made a crappy mudstone scepter.
Looking at the artefact list, I noticed "At One With The Mountainhomes, a forgotten beast parchment scroll"

So I'm like, wheeee! New spoiler stuff!!! Need to dig deeper!!!

But nvm that..

It's just a visiting bard carrying an artefact forgotten beast parchment scroll. It's not even a good read :P

But it does seem like there's an incentive to check visitor's pockets and steal their stuff, if they can bring artefacts.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44397 on: December 10, 2015, 06:45:13 am »

My fledgling fortress' tavern just was granted the honour of royal visit. The Queen Consort arrived as a guest. It's a she, so apparently my civilization's queen is quite gay.
The Queen herself did not tag along. I wonder if she's aware of her companion's merrymaking.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44398 on: December 10, 2015, 06:53:55 am »

My fledgling fortress' tavern just was granted the honour of royal visit. The Queen Consort arrived as a guest. It's a she, so apparently my civilization's queen is quite gay.
The Queen herself did not tag along. I wonder if she's aware of her companion's merrymaking.

Gay queen?

That's a royal line that's not likely to last much longer...

Wonder if The Great Toad will ever implement adoptions?
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44399 on: December 10, 2015, 07:26:04 am »

Question: What is the ideal number of dwarves to have in one squad, with the same weapon?
I vaguely remember something about 2 or 3-dwarf squads being most likely to spar.
it was two in 0.34, but that bug was fixed in 0.40 so you can have as many sparring soldiers as you want now. (Of course, 0.42.02 seems to have some other bugs related to sparring...)
Pages: 1 ... 2958 2959 [2960] 2961 2962 ... 3836