Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217534 times)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2015, 08:28:18 pm »

PTW
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2015, 03:48:51 am »

Woah, this is really cool.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:41 am »

Woah, this is really cool.
Yes, yes it is.  8)

I am dying to see our triplane in action.
And your pilots are too.

Hey Sensei, is it ok if Arstotzka gets a free Revision token from the Germans too? It's not like they'd only stick around for half the year and skip town the other half, plus it balances out the fact that Moskurg's spy advantage is ongoing.
The German engineers have taken their payment for teaching your engineers how wings and propellers work, and absconded to retirement in cozy winter cottages on the south shore with the money. Evidently they didn't stick around through the designing of the AS-A19. Oh yeah, I'm not going to call it the AS-A18 because it was designed in 1919 and we have a gun called the AS-AC18 which is way too confusing.

So, whats the deal behind selling stuff? Can we only do it when theres an event?
For now, yeah. I don't want to take a bunch of arms market actions each turn.

well. espionage and design is done already, I suppose that they can't do anything to counter now.
What I've been doing recently, contrary to the first few turns where espionage could directly affect the design phase, turns, is rolling for Espionage when I write the battle report.

Sensei will ceasefires occur at all, or are we handwaving the endless amount of dead soldiers on both side, and the need to recover from that? :P
I considered the idea, but decided it wouldn't be fun to design weapons without seeing them perform. The alternative would be just skipping forward a few years and I feel pretty ehhh about that. The one other idea I considered is "We have signed a treaty which bans us from researching military technology. Design a parade float, a water gun, and a tourist blimp while trying to get as much military potential out of them as possible." But yeah basically I decided it was more fun to keep fighting all the time and not worry about the insignificant stuff like so-called "population decline" or "extinction". In the grim darkness of the 20th century, there is only war.

Sensei, at what in game time, will the game end?
I'm not setting a hard end. Ideally, some side will win before I just don't have time to update any more.

Eh, I think sensei deserves a rest! It's been less than 24 hours, and it seems pretty hectic to manage/write.
Hehe, I ended up being really busy today. It'll happen now and again. I need a good couple of hours alone on the computer to do a good update, ideally. I read a lot of wikipedia articles on firearms, tanks and planes now. Despite this, I still let a lot of typos and mistakes through. :P

Alright, here's my design plan: The Mary Sue armored battle tank has 30mm of hardened steel armor, 90 horsepower from a reliable engine, and a cannon with coaxial MG and electrical turret and air conditioning. It weights 8 tons and goes 32MPH/51KPH. It costs 3 ore and 2 oil.
No plan survives contact with the dice. Also, so far I've avoiding naming numbers for tonnage and horsepower and I'm going to keep doing so if I can help it.

1919 Battle Report

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1919 marks the belated beginning of the war in the air for both nations. Two wood-and-cloth airplanes have taken to the skies in similar quantities, which will result in one-on-one dogfights for air superiority, and the right of way to mess with whoever's on the ground. The Model 1 Biplane is a sturdy, simple, decent plane with a machine gun, but burdened with a heavy and expensive radio. The AS-A19B triplane was much less successful, with very poor structure and flight characteristics, but it at least packs the terrifying firepower of two autocannons, making it a threat to ground armor. The Arstotzkans also built the AS-HV19, a sturdy and sensible truck that transports ore, oil and troops. Moskurg engineers designed three new artillery shells: A smoke, anti-infantry fragmentation, and incendiary shell.

The war in the air has begun. Moskurg biplanes fly over Arstotzkan formations, attempting to radio accurate information to their artillery (SPATs). Arsotzka rushes to build an air strip on the planes, and then fields planes to attack Moskurg trains, especially those shipping ore from the mountains. The Model 1 Biplane lacks firepower and needs to get close to be accurate, but is far more maneuverable than AS-19B's. A decisive advantage goes to the Model 1, but AS-19B's get some kills in head-on attacks due to their much greater range and firepower. All planes suffer somewhat from a small ammunition supply, being able to kill only a few targets before returning, if that. Andrei Zuyev is named the first Arstotzkan ace with four kills, survives three runway disasters involving collapsed landing gear. The collapsed landing gear is peculiarly persistent, despite not appearing in previous testing, and kills a number of pilots. (Moskurg has air advantage)

In the jungle, the effect of air support is not great, AS-19B's cannot get good runs on targets and Arstotzkan positions are either hidden from Model 1 radio operators, or already known. Moskurg pushes are frequently accompanied by a SPAT with smoke rounds, which can change a medium range conflict to a short range one, where Moskurg troops have an advantage. The fire and shrapnel ammunitions are dangerous, but basically require hits with the same accuracy that a regular explosive shell requires in order to kill (though the fire is effective on wooden palisades). Moskurg gains ground. (Moskurg 3/4)

In the mountains the infantry stalemate persists despite occasional bombing and strafing. Both air assault techniques are not extremely effective against the few and spread out positions. In the north part of the mountains, AS-A19B's fly in small groups to assault Moskurg trains. These trains are unarmed and depend entirely on the Moskurg air force for defense. A couple trains are destroyed, showing the airborne AS-AC18 autocannons to be terribly effective, but most of the time Arsotzkan planes are shot down before threatening the railway. (Each 2/4)

In the desert/planes boundary, the fighting is intense. Arstotzkan planes launch from a near airstrip and are closely involved in the defense of the plains. Their anti-armor effect is significant, and can stop T1 Smashers in their tracks. Ground forces in general have a difficult time aiming at airplanes, and are not a significant cause of air casualties. New ammunition employed by the Moskurg army is effective at killing entrenched troops and the smoke rounds provide cover for charging soldiers, though the sheer number of Arstotzkan rapid-fire weapons can't be adequately covered by SPATs (which Moskurg soldiers have taken to calling Self Propelled Artillery). Accurate artillery support is provided by Moskurg scout aircraft, but still T1 Smashers don't often arrive at Arstotzkan trenches. When they do, they are prone getting stuck in the trenches with tread failures- when this happens, Arstotzkan soldiers will climb the tank, wait for the top hatch to open, and blindly spray an SMG inside. Moskurg can bring the fight to the trenches, but they can't sustain an armored push and artillery marching without armor support is ultimately killed by overwhelming machine gun fire, despite the advantages of accurate artillery. Arstotzka holds the fields (A 4/4)

Russia is fighting a civil war. The Red Army will offer an Expense Credit (reduces the cost of one item for a year) in exchange for a terrifying tank design for maximum fear and oppression by the 1920 Battle Report.
An unnamed organization is offering an Expense Credit for the designs to a powerful, concealable weapon.

You may now design for 1920.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:35 am »

Oh yeah, I'm not going to call it the AS-A18 because it was designed in 1919 and we have a gun called the AS-AC18 which is way too confusing.
That's fine. I meant it to be called the AS-A19 but I misspelled it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:20 am »

Um, Sensei? Our trucks were supposed to get us Ore this turn, bringing us to 4 Ore and making our tanks Expensive.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. Brain went weird.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 30, 2015, 04:59:35 am »

Um, Sensei? Our trucks were supposed to get us Ore this turn, bringing us to 4 Ore and making our tanks Expensive.
Pretty sure that only happens the turn after they were designed.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2015, 05:02:07 am »

Pretty sure that only happens the turn after they were designed.
We've had these trucks all year, as evidenced by the fact that we've had airplanes all this year.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 30, 2015, 05:12:25 am »

As stated in the Arstotzka thread, the ore will be available for the 1920 year. Previous resource gains have been delayed similarly.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:59 am »

Can we switch it to gather Oil without issue? One of the conditions we stated for it gathering Ore was that it doesn't prevent us from getting Oil when the Antegra Oil runs out.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:20 am »

Can we switch it to gather Oil without issue? One of the conditions we stated for it gathering Ore was that it doesn't prevent us from getting Oil when the Antegra Oil runs out.
Yes, that can happen without issue.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 30, 2015, 05:34:47 am »

Sensei, what happened with Arstotzka's espionage? I definitely sent you an action and the others probably did to. We'd like to know what happened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:15 am »

My guess is that we did counter-espionnage, and failed to stop the sabotage of our planes. Dunno what their other spy did, possibly counter-espionnage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 30, 2015, 05:53:36 am »

My guess is that we did counter-espionnage, and failed to stop the sabotage of our planes. Dunno what their other spy did, possibly counter-espionnage.
They sabotaged our plane, so it was a wasted action.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:30 am »

An unnamed organization is offering an Expense Credit for the designs to a powerful, concealable weapon.
Is it a contract for a small arm?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:39 am »

Is it possible to sell our Oil and Ore for designs, similar to how Antegra did with us? Maybe since Arstotzka is the only one with a presence in the arms market, only we should have access to the market or at least give us access to more offers?

EDIT: Since Moskurg has no experience with designing semi-automatic weaponry, magazine-using weaponry, or even the Cascade itself (only adjusting the measurements), does that mean they'll have trouble revising their Cascades, assuming they choose to do so?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:26:27 am by Andres »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 159