Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217505 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 31, 2015, 02:06:37 am »

How can Arstotzka win when you're being thrashed rather badly?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 31, 2015, 02:08:27 am »

*Look at the wall of destroyed SPAT and Spruuk that is now the main defense of the plains*

Are you mad?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2015, 03:05:21 am »

I would like to clarify that there is no East Bay. There has never been an East Bay. We have always been at war with East Bay. This does not make the plains inaccessible to maritime shipping but it means that it can't be used as a staging point, for example if Arstotzka controls the plains that does not let them attack Moskurg's capitol by sea.

New Armor Rules
In real life, armor is almost always steel until after world war II. It ranges from 6-25mm on early tanks to around 100mm max, with a greater effective thickness thanks to angling. The stuff normal tanks use is rolled homogenous armor, a type of forged, hardened steel, while you're probably using mild steel so far (something only training versions of tanks are normally made from). Aluminum is lighter, titanium weighs as much as aluminum but is strong like steel, and rubber or cement armor exist as well but are best used as part of a composite. There are a number of alloys to be discovered but I will probably not get into them.

I will establish armor values, which stack from different factors in a way similar to expense. A round striking armor has a penetration value at medium range, with a +1 bonus for close range and a -1 penalty for long range. Armor penetration values will be hidden from you for now. Armor values are as follows:
1) Thin, <10 mm (all measures approximate and used for historical reference)
2) Light, 10-24 mm
3) Medium, 25-50 mm
4) Heavy, 51-100 mm
5) Extra Heavy, 101-150 mm
6) Extreme, more than 150mm. Only historical example I can find is the Maus tank and ironclad ships.

Materials give a bonus to that value. Mild Steel (your current shitty tanks) is -1, RHA is 0. Aluminum is 0 but lighter, Titanium is +1, and composites or more exotic armors may be +1 or higher with various effects on the weight and cost. Good spacing and angling can give a further bonus (which might be wholly or partially negated by APBC rounds or an opponent's good marksmanship).

When building armor, you can specify the thickness and material of the armor in different areas, as well as attempt to research new materials and techniques (you're not getting titanium any time soon though). Right now, extreme armor would be too expensive to build and sink in the mud if you did. Thicker armor also presents an engineering challenge in general; making thick armor is a technology on its own.

I'm of course open to suggestions and will likely revise this rule set. In particular, I don't yet have a hard cost modifier tied to different thickness (I want to consider it with the size of the vehicle to be armored). Keep in mind that 0 armor is still armor and can stop stuff like 9mm pistol rounds.

British Diplomats are Visiting
The British Empire has sent emissaries to both Arstotzka and Moskurg. It seems that their purpose here is to ascertain whether either nation might be of value or a threat to the League of Nations. This includes an assessment of each nation's military. You can send a spy to steal their notes for a revision credit.

1920 Battle Report

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:

I think I updated armored vehicles with the new rules, tell me if I missed anything.

This year Arstotzka made significant refinements to their AS-A19 (the model C now) finally more or less getting it right this time. It's now sturdy, well-armed and kinda maneuverable. Just as importantly, it's not crashing of its own accord like an over-ambitious amateur Unity game. It's also inexpensive. Moskurg launched their first bomber, the Model 2 Hornet, which carries half a ton of bombs and has an M1 Stallion gunner. Arstotzka also designed their first landmine, effective against personnel. Moskurg made some valuable revisions to their T1 smasher, which include better treads and making it out of parts that are less valuable. In fact, it's the first tank to be only Expensive.

Agent Feather Hammer, on a dark night, steps into an Arstotzkan foundry. He is disguised, which means he shaved his mustache. Wearing a jumpsuit, he walks the catwalk above the foundry, watching enormous crucibles of metal pour into casts for tank armor, engine blocks, and generic sheets and rods. Agent Hairy Pickle, also disguised as a worker, pads quietly along the catwalk behind him. Hairy Pickle has killed a Moskurg spy before, and even got a good look at Feather Hammer's face once. Tragically, or triumphantly (it's a matter of perspective) Hairy Pickle recognizes his foe even without his mustache. More than that, he can recognize Feather Hammer for an impostor because all workers were briefed this morning that the observatory catwalk was unsafe and should be avoided until it could be repaired (things like warning signs are not a feature of Arstotzkan industry buildings). A section of catwalk collapses with a crash. Workers shout, panic and point. Agent Hairy Pickle slips out the back door, unseen. Acrid smoke rises from an enormous crucible of molten steel. The Game of Espionage has seen its second casualty.

The war in the air escalates dramatically. The Moskurg airforce is a mix of Model 2 Hornets, with a payload of bombs and a heavy gunner, and Model 1 Biplanes with light machine guns and and radios. The Arstotzkan's have replaced all of their dangerous AS-A19B's with the more maneuverable and reliable AS-A19C- or rather significantly more AS-A19C's. More soldiers in the Arstotzkan army can fly a plane than drive a car. All planes in the air move and turn relatively slowly, which gives the Model 2 Hornet's rotating M1 Stallion a significant advantage. The Model 1 is the most maneuverable plane but by a narrow margin, it often loses fights to an AS-A19C which engages from greater range. A Hornet has a good chance of killing an A19C with its gunner before the A19C, which aims with its entire body and is not much more maneuverable, lines up a deadly shot. However, the AS19C is extremely numerous. Many fights are two or three on one, in favor of Arstotzka. In general, air superiority goes to Arstotzka. Arstotzkan pilot Andrei Zhuyev records five kills.

In the plains, Moskurg makes another push with Hornets and Smashers. The new Smasher can reliably cross a trench, if it gets there, and has better odds simply because there are now far more of them. On more than one occasion, a group of hornets will make it to Arstotzkan trenches. Their effect is devastating and will cause Moskurg to gain ground, but this is not very often. Both Moskurg armor and their air support are killed by a plague of A19C's which fill the skies and strafe their targets, stopping further pushes and regaining ground. Husayn the Lion is killed by strafing. Arstotzka can produce as many AS-T15's as Moskurg can produce T1 Smashers, but Smashers, and Hornets, and Struunks, and sometimes Horsekillers, will defeat them. In fact, the T15 is kind of a death trap. Arstotzkan land mines claim a number of Moskurg legs, the favored Moskurg tactic for disposing of land mines is simply to drive over them with a tank- unsupported infantry has difficulty gaining ground. Land mines also have a tendency to turn short range engagements into long ones, which works in Arstotzka's favor. Thanks mainly to air support, Arstotzka begins to push into the desert. Arstotzkan motorcycles and T15's are extremely vulnerble to Moskurg armor and rely on air support to survive- they mainly end up fighting Moskurg cavalry, who inflict many casualties but are pushed back. (EAST DESERT: Arstotzka 1/4, Moskurg 3/4)

In the mountains, landmines can't be buried, and are easily avoided or disarmed. This does not mean that there are not Moskurg casualties due to landmines- Moskurg soldiers have a bad habit of running without looking down or overestimating their ability to disarm landmines. On average, the Moskurg companies stationed in the mountains become just slightly smarter. Arstotzka generally has air superiority, but their autocannons are relatively ineffective against infantry (who can spread out and take cover) and emplacements- certainly not the game changer that a successful bombing run can be. Infantry remains in a 2/2 stalemate. Moskurg trains are very frequently stopped by Arstotzkan AS-A19C's strafing them. Moskurg will lose that ore if the trains do not receive better protection next turn.

In the jungle, Moskurg momentum cannot be stopped. This is the place furthest from each nation's bases of air operations, so air fights are less common, and the difficulty of seeing the ground makes strafing difficult. Hornet bombing is relatively effective, but this is mostly mitigated by the fact that Hornets have a bad habit of being attacked by three A19C's at once. On occasion, a T1 Smasher will successfully trundle through the jungle roads as well, now that there are more of them with better treads. Arstotzkan forts in the south part of the jungle fall, despite inflicting many Moskurg casualties in the process with their machine guns and autocannons. Moskurg holds the jungle (4/4). They stand at the border of thin evergreen forests with mostly infantry carried by horse, a reduced quantity of armor due to the general difficulty in crossing the jungle, and no air support. If they hold their ground, they will gain the jungle's resources next turn.

The Red Army considers the two tank designs sent to them, based on their ability to intimidate and oppress. The T1 Smasher is more combat-effective, and has a rotating turret to deliver 3.6 inches of oppression in 360 degrees. The AS-T15 is bigger, belches smoke that can be seen for miles, and the inside doubles as a hellish torture chamber. Arstotzka earns one Expense Credit, and T15's are deployed to intimidate Russia's rebelling colonies.

The Unknown Organization considers the five-shooter and the AS-LM20 landmine, putting aside the boxes of shitty or nearly identical weapons that were sent to them, including two identical sawed-off shotguns, a pistol that jams all the time, and two sub-machine guns that are compelling but not quite concealable without a big trench coat. In fact, the five-shooter and land mines are also sort of trench coat weapons (the five shooter being a revolver which fires full-powered rifle rounds, at the risk of breaking a non-Moskurg wrist). In the end, the five-shooter is chosen, because landmines are profoundly unsafe to sneak in one's coat. Moskurg gains an Expense Credit.

In the allied nations, Moskurg files a patent on the Cascade SMG ("Original Gun, Do Not Steal"). It is filed away, its performance overshadowed by that of the new Thomspon M1920 which is gaining military attention.

In other news, some 1000 AS-1910's manufactured in Antegria find their way into the hands of pirates in the Arabian sea, and become associated with high-firepower robbery in the public eye after a series of photo news articles.

You may now design for 1921.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:55:10 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:59 am »

Goodbye Husayn the Lion. You were only Moskurg with no tiger fetish.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:41 am »

Also, am I reading the turn right, and Arstotzka's only spy has died?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:21 am »

no, your spy died. that mindless Moskurg walked on an unsafe catwalk which then collapsed, making him fall in molten iron.
By the way, you likely ruined a whole batch of metal. So, mission accomplished? :D

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:38 am »

The Arstotzkan's have replaced all of their dangerous AS-A19B's with the more maneuverable and reliable AS-A19C- or rather significantly more AS-A19C's. More soldiers in the Moskurg army can fly a plane than drive a car.
I think here it's supposed to say that more soldiers in the Arstotzkan army can fly planes than drive cars.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:57 am »

Also, am I reading the turn right, and Arstotzka's only spy has died?
I changed "Hairy Pickle slips away" to "Hairy Pickle slips out the back door" to be more clear.

The Arstotzkan's have replaced all of their dangerous AS-A19B's with the more maneuverable and reliable AS-A19C- or rather significantly more AS-A19C's. More soldiers in the Moskurg army can fly a plane than drive a car.
I think here it's supposed to say that more soldiers in the Arstotzkan army can fly planes than drive cars.
Yep, I'll change that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 31, 2015, 04:02:28 am »

Ah, okay. That wording makes it clearer.

Also, are we allowed to brown-nose to the observers?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:56 am »

Certainly, although I haven't got a specific reward set aside. On the same note, you could publish something about how the other nation is terrible and would make a poor addition to the League of Nations.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 31, 2015, 04:11:30 am »

Certainly, although I haven't got a specific reward set aside. On the same note, you could publish something about how the other nation is terrible and would make a poor addition to the League of Nations.
This is unnecessary. Moskurg already doomed themselves in this regard.

Present the following transcript, actually said by a Moskurgian official, to the British diplomat:
Explain that the Moskurgian is just insulting our women and that Arstotzkans don't actually have sex with sheep or any other non-human animal.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:14:22 am by Andres »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 31, 2015, 05:33:46 am »

Question: As the Jungle is not described as having a railroad, does that mean one has to be build before the Moksburgians can exploit it's resources, or is that just wishful thinking.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 31, 2015, 08:50:17 am »

I think it means they cant harvest with a railroad until they use an action to build one (similar to how Sensei talked of building a road in the moutains). I guess they could design some kind of other technology to harvest ressources there.

Also, I have a few questions re: desert. When do they start loosing ressources from our control of part of their home region? Do we need to fully occupy it to win (4/4), or can we strike at their capital and do so once were at 2/4? I take it their capital is about in the middle?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 31, 2015, 08:58:51 am »

Unless I'm mistaken,  there's an East, West and Central Desert/Taiga

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:11 am »

Oh, ok, so we do not own one fourth of the Desert, but one fourth of East Desert. I guess each of the desert/taiga region control one of the three base ressources?

Also, do the expense credits work for one turn, or forever?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:34:50 am by Sheb »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 159