Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 147395 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:03 am »

Arstotzka, Arstotzka, of shining snow
Arstotzka, Arstotzka, of biting cold
Arstotzka, the wonderful
Arstotzka, the powerful
Arstotzka, Arstotzka, with soul of gold!

Welcome, comrade, to the Arms Race! We, the People's Democratic Government of Arstotzka and our Firing Squad, are glad you have chosen to design weapons for our glorious nation. We are at war with our long-standing enemy, Moskurg, and our armory is a mixture of outdated weapons, and new ones which our factories are having trouble producing.

The OOC thread for this game is here, and you should probably read it. However, the basic rules are that each year you get to design a weapon (or piece of equipment), revise that design (or revise a different existing one) and then everything goes into production, and you get to find out if our weapons are doing better than the Moskurg ones.

Here is the current state of our army, in 1910:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember: We only have enough staff to draft one new design this year. Then, we get one chance to revise that design (or a different one) before going into production.

What shall we design, People's Engineers?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:49:50 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1910 Design Phase
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:32 am »

A machine gun. The cold of Arstotzka will cool it for us!

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:08:28 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:26:36 am »

I have 2 proposals.

In Europe, the machine gun seems to be all the rage. Perhaps we should see what the fuzz is about.

Spoiler: AS-1910 Machine gun (click to show/hide)

The railway leads straight into the heart of Mosburg. It's a perfect opportunity to attack their positions.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:32:16 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:37 am »

(I think we can do only one project at a time.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:02 am »

Which is why there are two proposals, with others being able to support whichever they like.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:42 pm »

I support Citizen 10ebbor10 machine gun proposal. The Mosburger are known for charging in close combat, a machinegun would let us create effective fields of fire to prevent just that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »

+1 to the AS-1910 MG proposal

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »

I also support the creation of a machine gun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:05:23 pm »

It looks like the most popular plan by far is the creation of a machinegun, with three supporting votes.

You set to work on the drawing board right away. This will be a large undertaking, requiring the entirely new design of a belt-fed, gas-operated loading system. After a several weeks, the first prototype is manufactured and ready for testing.

AS-1910 Machine Gun: Arstotzka's first belt-fed machinegun, firing the same 7.62mm rifle rounds already produced for the Nosin-Magant. The belt-feed mechanism is robust, making it heavy but very reliable. Each round has good stopping power. The machinegun is operated with two handles due to its recoil, making it incapable of aim as precise as a rifle, but when the barrel is cool, bullets generally fly straight. It is air-cooled, and the barrel tends to overheat somewhat quickly. Your engineers have compensated for this by giving each crew two detachable barrels- when one overheats, it can be removed and thrown in the snow. It is heavy- it must be in place on a tripod or other mount to fire, and requires three men to move. It also requires three men to operate continuously. Due to the complexity of the feed mechanism, it is Expensive.

I made a couple d6 die rolls: You got a 6 for the mechanism, and a 4 for cooling and ease of use of the gun.

You have gained the following technologies: Belt-fed loading [Expensive], Changeable Barrels

Overall this is a great achievement for your engineers, and stands to change the face of battle as we know it. Because it is expensive, each officer must choose between a Nosin-Magant rifle and an AS-1910 MG crew in his squad. The majority of your troops are still using the lousy AS-1891.

It is now the Revision Phase. You may choose one improvement to make to an existing design.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1910 Revision Phase
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:22:16 pm »

Great achievement!

For the revision phase, I think we should take a look at our infantry rifle. The AS-1891 is a piece of crap, little better than a musket. It's muzzle-loaded for christ's sake! I don't think it could be salvaged.

The Mosin-Nagant however is a perfectly good rifle. If we could simplify its design a bit to make it less expensive to produce, it would make for a great standard infantry rifle.

As such, I propose that we try to make the Mosin-Nagant cheaper.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »

I also support this. Honestly, I dont know how our military survived this long, unless we have pikemen everywhere.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:44:11 pm »

The problem is, the thing making the Nagant expensive is the clip and Magazine system. Let's try improving that.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:51:27 pm »

The only problem I foresee making the Nagant less expensive is I believe we are importing them from Russia and just changing the letters, thus not producing them ourselves. Are we allowed to revise this design?

EDIT: But if I've read that wrong, I definitely agree that we should try to revise the clip and magazine system to be less expensive.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:53:24 pm by Knave »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »

Improving the Nosin in that way would automatically update the technology in your list, for the Nosing and for future use.

Also, you are manufacturing them yourselves, using "borrowed" machines.

For now, you can't research technologies on their own.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 04:07:17 pm »

Tactical vests.

Worn underneat to stop bullets that our glorious uniforms cannot. Light weight and able to stop small arms fire and small pieces of shrapnel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 217