Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiplayer Arms Race game, interest check and discussion  (Read 2231 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiplayer Arms Race game, interest check and discussion
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:10:26 am »

Hey, UR, you have one weapon design game already, made only the first turn and now you are considering to start another one?

Blame Sensei. His format is great. GMing while not spending your effort to playing other side is, in fact, easier. I want more or less combine what he did and my own ideas. What will be different

1) All countries from "Papers, Please" universe.... Or 4 of them to make it more manageable.
2) Not a suggestion game. Each nation gets its player
3) PMs for turns, because we all know that not all players can avoid metagaming
4) No damned spies. Instead players get reverse-engineering phase.
5) No permanent war, some countries will be at peace, some will wage wars, some will form alliances
6) List of available research. If you don't have jet engine plane in the list, you can't even try.
7) Players will have a chance to buy starting weapons using point system similar to my game but with some effort to balance it for multilayer
8  ) Resources will be energy\metal\rares
9) Likely different cost system, one more tier and max number of weapons allowed per tier.
10) No daily updates because I am not a text writing machine like Sensei and more nations mean more work.

Is anyone interested?

I am open to  suggestions because I have a rough outline of game system and it may change. I am not sure that I will start it, but discussing can't hurt
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:12:29 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Arms Race game, interest check and discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:13:27 am »

I'm interested, but I'm concerned towards the sustainability. Loads of design games out there.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:15:04 am »

I've actually been coming up with half-baked ideas of this for the past few days, so if you want help running it I'd be happy (or just a spot is cool too :P)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:17:00 am »

I'm thinking about some kind of multi-forum arms race. Maybe we actually team up and collaborate to host one? It'll be great.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:17:42 am »

I'm thinking about some kind of multi-forum arms race. Maybe we actually team up and collaborate to host one? It'll be great.
That sounds like something that would fail before turn 1.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:19:05 am »

I'm interested, but I'm concerned towards the sustainability. Loads of design games out there.
Yeah, it is one of reasons why I am not that sure that starting now is a good idea but discussing the game system can't hurt anyone.

MultiGM games... I had no positive experience here.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:01 am »

I can be Republica! I would like to play please!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »

Okay, serious reply, UR.

1) All countries from "Papers, Please" universe.... Or 4 of them to make it more manageable.
2) Not a suggestion game. Each nation gets its player

-The main charm for his game is the suggestion game format, and multiple players supporting each nations makes a ton of banter.

3) PMs for turns, because we all know that not all players can avoid metagaming

-No need for that. Metagaming was non-existent, and it won't matter anyway. I do suggest informal leaders tallying votes should give an advantage to rolls.

4) No damned spies. Instead players get reverse-engineering phase.

-Just combine it. Spies do add tons of flavor to the game.

5) No permanent war, some countries will be at peace, some will wage wars, some will form alliances

-I think this might be introducing too much complexity into the game.

6) List of available research. If you don't have jet engine plane in the list, you can't even try.
7) Players will have a chance to buy starting weapons using point system similar to my game but with some effort to balance it for multilayer

I'm neutral on this, but hell the horsekiller is one of the reason that the game is interesting. You just can't make it as complicated as HOI and assume that it would pan out like Risk.

8  ) Resources will be energy\metal\rares
9) Likely different cost system, one more tier and max number of weapons allowed per tier.
10) No daily updates because I am not a text writing machine like Sensei and more nations mean more work.

Is anyone interested?

I am open to  suggestions because I have a rough outline of game system and it may change. I am not sure that I will start it, but discussing can't hurt

In short:
Player-bashing
Irrational kneejerking
You intentionally left both of them out.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:44:35 pm »

-The main charm for his game is the suggestion game format, and multiple players supporting each nations makes a ton of banter.
Subjective. suggestion games have their positives, single player games have their positives

No need for that. Metagaming was non-existent, and it won't matter anyway. I do suggest informal leaders tallying votes should give an advantage to rolls.
I fail to believe it. At least unintentional metagaming exist. our brain can't get information and don't use it

Just combine it. Spies do add tons of flavor to the game.
Subjective. I dislike it. In fact it is the only thing I dislike in Sensei's game. I play this game to create weapons and don't see a defeat that is a direct result of spying rolls.

-I think this might be introducing too much complexity into the game.
I think permanent wars aren't that fun.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:57:54 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 01:46:34 pm »

The problem with allowing players to organize is that they'll probably end up ganging up one someone, which isn't fun for those who are politically outmaneuvered.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 01:51:31 pm »

The problem with allowing players to organize is that they'll probably end up ganging up one someone, which isn't fun for those who are politically outmaneuvered.
Hm, what do you mean?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »

Player 1 and 2 decide to cooperate. They attack player 3 together. It is impossible for player 3 to survive this attack, and thus he is obliterated, whatever he wants to do.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:56:03 pm »

Well, that is if players control diplomatic side of the game. Not my plan.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 02:34:11 pm »

You could make the weapon designs be made by one person and have diplomatic actions determined by a SG group, hear me out.

Rather then tally up votes, you could randomly select from the votes for what happens, within reason.  So if the votes are peace with A, war with B, war with B, war with C, develop oil fields then any of those could happen.  It gives it a measure of randomness while still giving players control over the country.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 02:41:29 pm »

Separating country management and design is an option but complexity will increase

There are some funny ways to run suggestion game that doesn't use  majority decides but I don't think it is a great idea
Pages: [1] 2