Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421676 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:16 pm »

Im already running Murderflood currently. I dont see how I can realistically jump into this at the moment. Youd better dump me at the bottom of the list for the time being. Very sorry about this...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2015, 08:08:07 pm »

And... hoo boy... LordBrassroast is currently overseering FPS Hell Bonepillar.

Best to offer, though. LordBrassroast? Do you want to give it a shot, or should I move you down the turn list?

(Assuming we move you, SQMan would be next in line)

I wonder how all this hot-potatoing of the overseer position is playing out in-universe in Breadbowl? Nobody wants to be the dwarf responsible for meeting quota?

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »

Add me to the list! I will have internet tomorrow!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2015, 02:08:31 am »

I wonder how all this hot-potatoing of the overseer position is playing out in-universe in Breadbowl? Nobody wants to be the dwarf responsible for meeting quota?

Gwolfski's still on his baroning honeymoon period, Taupe probably doesnt give ten fucks about becoming overseer, Lord Brassroast is too busy taking care of her baby. So, next up on Breadbowl - the embittered marksdwarf captain SQman takes over the fort! Things to expect: lots of hunting, dead squirrels and a whoooole lotta DAKKA.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:14:23 am by Bearskie »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:49 pm »

Hokay, Just got a message from LordBrassroast.

SQMan, you're up.

So, next up on Breadbowl - the embittered marksdwarf captain SQman takes over the fort! Things to expect: lots of hunting, dead squirrels and a whoooole lotta DAKKA.
You forgot the masterwork engravings. :)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2015, 07:38:16 am »

Looks like my turn came early. That's actually really convenient, because I have nothing important to do this week, and I'm not so sure I'd have time later.
Anyway, I'm glad you like my "masterwork" ms paint scribbles, guys.

-What do you mean you can't? - asked overseer Bearskie - Is it because you just became a baron?
-That would be correct - answered baron Gwolfski - Apparently there are certain... formalities that have to be taken care of. When I say formalities I mean a lot of redundant papers to be signed and sent to the king, all the dukes, counts, and even barons, and there's a lot of barons! Knowing how things usually go, I'll have to send them at least three times before at least one of them reaches its destination.

-So what now? A commoner? A soldier? Don't tell me we'll have to organize an election, cause that never does anyone any good.
-You must know someone who'd be good enough for this job.
-Well, there is this one guy...
Suddenly the hatch to the room opened, or rather was slammed open by a short bald dwarf, captain SQman.
-And that would be me, right? -asked the unexpected guest.
-No - answered Bearskie bluntly - and why were you eavesdropping?
-And why couldn't you just open the hatch like a civilized member of society? - asked Gwolfski without looking away from his letters.
-Well, I'm already here, so could I just... - the captain began without answering any questions, but was immediately stopped by the overseer.
-You've been talking rangers into a rebellion (fortunatelly they're smarter than certain someone), you've been hoarding crossbow bolts, and what's more, you drew a winky on my room's door! - it was apparent that Bearskie could go forever -  Why would I...
-Just make him the new overseer and get out of my office! - shouted Gwolfski visibly frustrated - I don't have time to listen to you two arguing! There will be no election, we won't be waiting for volounteers, the militia captain is now in charge of this place! Now let me work!

The journal of SQman, the overseer of Breadbowl.

Entry 1: spring

I can't believe they finally understood! Thanks to my charm and charisma baron Gwolfski made me an overseer! The bad news is that I won't be getting any paper any time soon. Baron Gwolfski stashed it all in his office.

My first mandate will be to allow hunting again. Some of the less busy rangers and I will take up crossbows and go get those exotic meats His Majesty is expecting us to get. The second mandate is to sort out the animal situation in the fortress

Especially the birds need to be taken care of. I believe we shouldn't keep different species together I remember when back in the Mountainhome my good friend Tekkud put a beak dog "liberated" from a passing goblin caravan in a rabbit pen. I won't let those terrifying geese eat our chickens. And I also won't try to train them for hunting, but that's a story for another time.

But first, the most pressing issue. Baron Gwolfski gave me a letter he got from His Majesty himself. According to this letter, the cooks weren't doing their best. While this isn't really surprising, His Majesty expects us to make something else than "biscuits". The last thing I want is to get anyone hammered. Well, at least literally, with a hammer. Let's step up our game then!

I hope His Majesty likes milk, because Quasar sure does.

The fowl tower. That disgusting place filled to the brim with bird crap and feathers needs to be cleaned up. I ordered to let the birds go. Well, not really go, but at least they'll get some fresh air before the new fowl tower is finished.
Unfortunately, some kid came to me with a letter disturbing my overseeing. A letter from Gwolfski, no less.

The elven diplomat has finished her tour around Breadbowl. She's not happy with the rate at witch trees are disapearing. If I wasn't an overseer, I'd trample a sapling right in front of her, but now that I'm in charge, I feel weirdly... responsible. We just can't risk losing a trade partner, especially when said trade partner delivers our food to the Mountainhome. No more cutting down trees! At least for now.

Do elves really talk with animals? If so, our chickens will be able to tell them how well we trat them. There will be four rooms on every floor. A little uneven ones, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Argh! Why won't they let me just work on my chicken coop! A weaponsmith went all funny and stormed to the forge. He's sitting there drawing something, but he won't let anyone look at his project.

The armorsmith left his forge, probably to get some resources, and suddenly... elves! I'm not sure how much elf-friendly containers of food we have, but I'm sure we'll be okay.
I told the dwarves to stop making meals and drinks so it's easier to count later.

Meanwhile, the first floor of the fowl tower is completed. Still a little bit cramped, but at least we'll know what we're looking at. I can't believe I'm the first one who realized just how bad it was before.

Elves are suddenly "enchanted by our ethical work". If it wasn't for the food that we're supposed to give them, and the sweet, sweet giant hyena they have, I'd tell them to stick their enchantment up their bums. I know that by "enchanted" they meant "disappointed". I have a feeling they're looking for a reason to break the contract. Well, I'm not giving them any.
In the end we've bought all of their animals, some clothes and grown barrels and buckets. Three new residents for the fowl tower: a giant hornbill, a loon and a... monitor lizard?. Unfortunately not breeding pairs.

Some statistics, cause I'm kinda obliged to do this:
Prepared meals given: 580
Drinks given: 745

Would be great if we completely switched from wooden barrels to rock and porcelain pots.

Great news! the weird smith finally has everything he needs and started working! But I swear, if he makes something he shouldn't be making out of silver, I'll... I don't know actually, he's rather valuable as a weaponsmith.

Talking about masterful work, the fowl tower is nearly finished for now. Eight rooms, nine egg-laying animals, egg production more efficient than ever (hopefully). Since our loon is male, we won't be getting eggs from it, so it can wait.

A mace? A mace! And I was afraid it would be a sword. Almost beats my oversized chicken coop! I need to take a look at it personally.

The Ace Actions, worth at least 62400☼. I like the motiff of Splatterstroke being depicted twice. That symbolizes... I don't know what. I like this while "art", but damn, I'm bad at those things.
You know what's really funny? There isn't even a single dwarf who can swing a mace in this fortress. I've assigned a guy I've met at the fishery to the Shafts of Fortifying and gave him this mace. I wish there was someone more worthy than that, but gotta take what I can.

One thing I've never understood: why are people afraid of those caverns so much. There's so much meat in there. Much more than on the surface where thrips people scare everything away. I've heard the rumors about the crystal monster, but who actually believes those things. Not me.

But even I have to admit: there's something eerie in that place. Skeletons of various beasts lie scattered around. It wouldn't be so strange if they weren't mangled, crushed, sometimes smashed to dust. I don't suppose militia was running around these caves grinding bones into powder.

Either way, we're sending elk birds with the next caravan.

It wouldn't be a good season if someone hadn't done anything stupid. I've ordered to dig out some jet for a minor project, and, well... there might have been a minor case of digging into the aqiufier.

Fortunately we can waterproof the fortress, but Gwolfski, Quasar and Hiddenleafguy... Well, we'll have to make alternative entrances to their houses.
There was also a migrant wave. 22 dwarves and a pig. Two rangers to join the neighbourhood watch, and a guy who can use a mace.

Have I mentioned a langur problem? They're easy to kill if you're not a newly arrived unarmed brewer with no combat experience. There are two wounded but no one died. Except of langurs. Every cloud has a silver lining, though. We've caught two of these filthy monkeys, which means that we probably have a stable breeding pair.

Next problem: no actual mine. Wel'll have to dig deeper. I don't want to hear about flooding a section of the fortress again.

What was that elk bird doing on the surface? Why wasn't I informed? Maybe, just maybe, they can become invisible? Invisible and very, very quiet.

*A vile force of darkness has arrived!*

Oh crap! This is much worse than any elk bird! Hey, at least they don't have bats and toads!

I'd finish spring, but Imgur refused to cooperate and I can't upload any more images. This is a good place to end it, though.
Mostly been working on the fowl tower and fixing my own mistakes. Flooded houses will be definitely reclaimed in summer. Allowed hunting and opened up the caverns, so we're geting a lot of elk bird meat.
Things to do next time: break the siege, recreate the stone industry (no large pots at the moment, only copper barrels), access to flooded houses, segregation of non-egg layers (and elk birds), ???, profit.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2015, 09:28:58 am »

...I must say, those noble quarters are getting more impressive by the second. Fully underwater, 3-z high towers? Even my own fort never had it so good.

+ ARTIFACT SILVER MACE HYPE!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2015, 10:20:28 am »

Heck for an artifact silver mace id certainly switch weapon types. But I got so much mileage out of spears, that'd be uncool. I hope the chosen wielder makes us proud and becomes a great hero...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2015, 03:52:50 pm »

Heck for an artifact silver mace id certainly switch weapon types. But I got so much mileage out of spears, that'd be uncool. I hope the chosen wielder makes us proud and becomes a great hero...
Cue him or her failing to kill a single goblin and drowning in the moat on the way back.

I'm excited for the underwater towers. I say we trap an amphibious forgotten beast and put it in there, that the nobles may be soothed by it's lovely songs. "ROOAOAARR CRASH THUMP RRARARORAORRRR!". It's just a shame you didn't get a chance to install some glass windows and a few emergency floodgates in the sides of their towers though. Strictly for emergencies, of course.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2015, 04:10:22 pm »

Cue him or her failing to kill a single goblin and drowning in the moat on the way back.

I'm excited for the underwater towers. I say we trap an amphibious forgotten beast and put it in there, that the nobles may be soothed by it's lovely songs. "ROOAOAARR CRASH THUMP RRARARORAORRRR!". It's just a shame you didn't get a chance to install some glass windows and a few emergency floodgates in the sides of their towers though. Strictly for emergencies, of course.
Maybe replace doors by walls first...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2015, 12:52:33 am »

Journal of Quasar, Head Cook

We have a new overseer. I had originally planned for it to be Gwolfski, but to the surprise of no dwarf our noble baron shied away from doing any actual work in favor of stealing all of May's bookkeeping supplies and locking himself in his room. And here I got him that position on the basis that it might make him *more* productive! More fool me.

The new overseer seems a sensible dwarf: a hunter, who shares my fondness for the sleek lethality of a crossbow bolt through the head. And he's taking care of the issues I raised with the avery 3 years ago. That's almost enough for me to forgive him badmouthing my taro icecream.

All in all, there are worse choices of overseer. I can't complain.

I'D LIKE TO MAKE A COMPLAINT.

SQMan opened the caverns! As in, the caverns directly below my quarters! THE CAVERNS WITH GIANT GREEN MURDEROUS 4-LEGGED GEMSTONES ROAMING THEM.

And just to scare the beard hair out of everyone, the refuse haulers have been carrying the crushed and mutilated corpses of Thol Anan's victims, most of them dangerous cave creatures in their own right, up the main staircase ever since.

And I swear I saw an Elk Bird sneaking up the stairs. I don't blame it.

I saw a lovely waterfall today. I am relaxed.

I would be even more relaxed if said waterfall wasn't in the process of FLOODING ME OUT OF MY HOME.

I'm not sure whether to blame the miners or the the overseer at the moment, but one things for sure: *somebody's* getting a well-minced dwarf saliva roast for dinner.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:33:09 pm by QuQuasar »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2015, 12:06:41 am »

Oh my, Much progression here. c: I like this.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2015, 12:23:28 am »

Oh yes yes yes this is going to be good.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:31 am »

No updates today, just a few scribbles:
Spoiler: dem scribbles (click to show/hide)

Expect some dwarf on goblin action tomorrow.

Edit:
Let's go!

-Taupe, I've got an idea - said SQman, the overseer and the captain of the Neighbourhood watch.
-I'm all ears, but I can't promise I will like your idea.
-I'll go and talk with them. Don't worry, I know goblin speech.
-Are you insane? They will... - Taupe stopped. He knew SQman well enough to know that arguing with the arrogant dwarf won't have any effect - Oh, screw this, I haven't even had my morning beer yet.

-Oi! Oi! Someone's comin'! - shouted the goblin on guard duty - A dwarf! Wit' a crossbo' an' errythin'!
-Shoot 'im, mate! No, 'e'll make a good slave! Le's eat 'im!
Just before the grunts started to fight each other, a particularly large goblin stepped out of his tent.
-Silence! - he roared - I'm d' one in charge, an' I'm sayin': let 'im in!

-Wha'd ye wan' from us, dwarf? Beg for mercy? Sell y'self int' slavery b'fore we slaughter erry single one of ye?
-I camm ahr ta ask yah ta sahm - overseer SQman exclaimed, horribly butchering the common language.
-Wat? I can't unnerstan' a word. 'S this yer dwarv'n idea of banter? Are ye tryin' t' get us mad? If so, Ye'v dohn it.
-Ans'r m' questn', g'b'l'n! R' y' ahr fehr arr 'ood?
-No sense in talkin' to dis daft fool - the goblin leader said to his second-in-command.
-Wahn' me ta kill 'im now, boss? 'Cause ye su'ly don' wan' a slave like dis.
-No. Let 'im go. 'E can sen' a message to 'is mates. Oi, dwarf! Tell yer people Mato Āsmato is comin' wid' 'is army.

-You're back! - Taupe shouted in surprise seeing SQman crossing the bridge - Learned anything?
-That scoundrel refused to answer any of my questions. Well, actually if you think about it, there's a couple of things that seem rather important.
-For example...?
-It's not a serious raiding party, more like a scouting group. No more than 10 goblins including their leader, Mato Āsmato. No trolls, ogres, or any beasts for that matter.

The journal of SQman, the overseer of Breadbowl

Entry 2: siege!

The goblins came from west. 10 of them without any beasts or siege engines.
They camped just by the western bridge, so I've ordered all melee weapon weilding soldiers to stand on the bridge and wait, while my marksdwarves were stationed on the other side of the moat.
One of the goblins charged at us recklessly, but was quickly dispatched by one of my boys. He shot the goblin's leg, which was enough to cripple him. If that was my bolt, it would hit the heart, but I'm still proud.
Mato Āsmato, the raiders' leader was the first to charge into battle after that. Before his whip managed to touch anyone, one of the swordsdwarves cut off his foot and his shield arm.

Then heads started flying.

And babies. I'd say this was a victim of goblin raiders, but I'd rather blame the mother who left their child on the bridge when I told everyone to get inside.

The last goblin was lying on the bottom of the moat bleeding. My marksdwarves had a good training session trying to shoot him, when suddenly...

Some idiot fell into water! He got out, but come on! How?

Anyway, the siege was broken. I've ordered to take all of the goblins' clothes, weapons and whatnot.

And now something completely different:
Bad news is that building the waterproof pathway to Hiddenleafguy's house will be a little bit more tedious. Good news is that humans came with supplies. Maybe they have the spinach seeds everyone seems to need.

Wait, what are they doing?! They just left without saying a word! I don't understand! Welp, no trading with humans this year.

Oh, now I understand everything! These fools wanted to cross the moat when a section was dry. Then a wave came and smashed their wagon into pieces! Great job, humans, you're really industrious, creative and all these stuff, but THE BRIDGE WAS LITERALLY TWO STEPS AWAY!

The what now? Wait... are we the bad guys now?

Now I'm completely sure he's with the humans.

In case anyone's wondering, the diplomat and his guards are fine. So is the corridor to Hiddenleafguy's house. Now we just need to do the same with two remaining houses, and operation reclaimation is done.

A lot of shenanigans. No trading with humans, goblins were pansies, Hiddenleafguy is no longer homeless. And it's still early summer.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2015, 07:14:38 am »

Argh, sneak edit!

The river giveth, the river taketh. Anyway, if you want to refill it to full 7/7 all year round, just connect the SW pump to any power source and it shouldn't take too long; the only question is whether you want to run the risk of dwarves drowning in it. Noble quarters look excellent, btw.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 105