Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 215540 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2015, 11:36:16 pm »

BTW, Zuglarkun, that throne room image is kinda neat and you should definitely put it on the front page inside the queen's description!

Done.

The Dangerous Onslaught of Boring, what a name. So that one human killed all our six brethren and the two goblins just watched and hanged around? Geez..

Nice storytelling, btw!
I concur, that was really well-written. The fortress is still young, but we already have a ton of backstory and lore about the world, moreso than many, many other successions. Hopefully this will keep people inspired...
I like when people find ways to work a worlds backstory into the fort and give the whole thing some life, so to speak. I don't want to offend any undead who may be wandering the shores of the haunted lake.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its really encouraging :)

Really surprised at how the mountainhomes were able to hold up thus far with only 20 defenders against some 2000+ invaders, they must have some pretty solid defenses or a pretty elite crew. They've gotten sieged just about every single season in 201.

Also, I just noticed, but its actually not a haunted lake but-

Spoiler: A terrifying lake (click to show/hide)

Erm so... You might want to change the description on the front page Taupe :P

EDIT: Logs for McKiwi's turn rearranged along with all the other journals for the year. Jumps around between posts quite a bit, but should follow chronological ordering.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:11:26 am by Zuglarkun »

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2015, 12:24:19 am »

So, how's my arm doing? And why was I in the caverns in the first place? Could I take a look at my skills?
Microline for everyone!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2015, 12:53:08 am »

Erm so... You might want to change the description on the front page Taupe :P
Done. It's now glowing too.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2015, 05:57:05 am »

BTW, Zuglarkun, that throne room image is kinda neat and you should definitely put it on the front page inside the queen's description!

Done.

The Dangerous Onslaught of Boring, what a name. So that one human killed all our six brethren and the two goblins just watched and hanged around? Geez..

Nice storytelling, btw!
I concur, that was really well-written. The fortress is still young, but we already have a ton of backstory and lore about the world, moreso than many, many other successions. Hopefully this will keep people inspired...
I like when people find ways to work a worlds backstory into the fort and give the whole thing some life, so to speak. I don't want to offend any undead who may be wandering the shores of the haunted lake.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its really encouraging :)

Really surprised at how the mountainhomes were able to hold up thus far with only 20 defenders against some 2000+ invaders, they must have some pretty solid defenses or a pretty elite crew. They've gotten sieged just about every single season in 201.

Eh.....combat in legends/offscreen modes is still a bit.....interesting....in terms of who wins a one-sided engagement.

Once, in a world I had in a slightly earlier version.......there was an elf who had a very interesting time while I was having my fort run. He'd escaped from slavery (goblin civ) and decided to settle down by himself. His former masters sent about 1700 peeps at him. He killed and ate 1500 of them before they ran away.

....sadly, they came back with ~30 dudes the next year and killed him. I assume he was an immobile blob of flesh by this point from all the people he'd eaten.

But yeah, it's pretty much par for the course to have 2000 dudes get slaughtered in improbable fashion by a small group of defenders. It certainly makes for better stories.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2015, 06:16:00 pm »

My favorite in my current fortress is a wombat demon who settled in her slade tower, The Adorable Tower (of course), to reign over a goblin civilization and basically enjoy a peaceful life. Her only companion was a female goblin, the Lady of the Smooth Sins. This weird human civ, called the Intense Kingdom, spent years attacking this tower with dozens of men and being driven off by the goblin. Then one of them got the better of her and the wombat demon went nuts and slaughtered them all. She then wandered off and has been roaming the land killing humans ever since. I see it as a tragic romance.

Who's next up on the turn list for this fort?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »

My favorite in my current fortress is a wombat demon who settled in her slade tower, The Adorable Tower (of course), to reign over a goblin civilization and basically enjoy a peaceful life. Her only companion was a female goblin, the Lady of the Smooth Sins. This weird human civ, called the Intense Kingdom, spent years attacking this tower with dozens of men and being driven off by the goblin. Then one of them got the better of her and the wombat demon went nuts and slaughtered them all. She then wandered off and has been roaming the land killing humans ever since. I see it as a tragic romance.

Deus Asmoth, once I finish up the year.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2015, 08:25:56 pm »

Heh heh heh
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:37 pm »

Deus Asmoth, once I finish up the year.
Except for that whole part where half the fortress was locked outside with a deadly mammoth and a vampire, he's done a good job of keeping us alive in the past.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2015, 05:44:17 am »

Upshot, we seem to be entirely free of both Mammoth's and Vampires. Undead we have a plenty though.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2015, 08:30:40 am »

I did a lot of good during my turn as well though. Like that bedroom I had built for my daughter. And... plenty of the unhappy dwarves were killed so they couldn't upset other dwarves.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2015, 08:49:20 am »

Upshot, we seem to be entirely free of both Mammoth's and Vampires. Undead we have a plenty though.
...Wait this totally isnt icehold NEVERMIND.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »

Damn it Taupe, you almost confused me too. I was gonna say "actually I think the population boom makes for a good story point" but this isn't the right thread. This is the desert, werebears, terrifying lakes, right... right...

Edit: I just got home from work and I'm so tired but now all I want is a Murderflood Icehold crossover somehow.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:36:08 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2015, 07:32:39 pm »

That would be Roomcarnage...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2015, 05:38:55 am »

Right, I'm not dead....but I've had a few issues with my studies and updates may be a bit delayed. I'm hopeful I'll be able to work in some more gametime tomorrow and do an update though...it just depends on how much work I can get done. Lots of major projects to get done, and not that much time to do them in. If things do go pear-shaped I'll just upload the save as of Autumn and let the next person have an extra bit of turn.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:26 am »

Ok, didn't have time to big IC write-ups, so I just wrote down what happened as I played. I'm now up to winter!

-Armorer (not a dorfed one) got a strange mood. Required cloth. Took me all three goes getting peeps and materials to the depot to get the sort he wanted. Dunno what he's making, but it's made of copper, alpaca wool, and kitten bone. If I'd had a bit more warning I'd have sent the steel ingot I bought from the traders down there ahead of time. Oh well.
-Speaking of which, I am killing every unclaimed cat and kitten in the fort. There were a lot of them. Now there's about 15 less. We'll still be breeding them, but I'm fine with that. Gotta have those bone bolts!
-Dike construction continues. I've built the service ramps that will let us continue working on it when the outer wall is complete.
-Also set up a little island in the dike. We can make a tower there, or we can build the trade depot there for giggles later.
-Some bits are getting ignored though....we have a massive farming backlog, and some construction jobs are getting ignored. Still, it's going well. These traders are lovely people and have really been useful this year.

-----------
Continued from a bit later in the same session:

-You know, playing "I don't want to set the world on fire" in the background works really well for DF. No lava to play with, alas.
-It's.....a copper low-boot! Worth 6960, no special images. No images at all, actually. It's just a really, really good low-boot.  Since our soldiers are set to only have one boot each, I've given Sir Humphrey the honor of having this one.

-MIGRANTS! We're now back over 60 dwarves. And one of them is a rather competant bone doctor and other general medical person. And a macedwarf to boot. That's going to be very useful.

-It occurs to me that I've only made about 10 new bedrooms this year, and they're all rather crap. Oh well. Someone else's problem.

-AAAAAH. Zuglarkun II's corpse has risen and is killing people.
-And a fire imp has made it into our stairwell, somehow, and is attacking the mayor. Oh well. Nobles.
-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh

Ok we've beaten Zuggles II back to death  (That's, what, four deaths now? And you've only had three dwarfs named after you.), the mayor is not on fire, and we've only lost four or so people. This fortress seems to like having things appear right at the door.I think the lake did something funky to the corpse because there's no massive undead army outside killing us.....a death in the evil biome would mean eventual rising as a zombie, so that's probably what happened...I also think walling off the lakeside would be a good idea, if it weren't such a risk to attempt it.

---------

-Nice to see that dwarves recognise that "on fire" is not a good condition for a bed.
-We need to work out how that imp got in....I closed the bridge to the caverns. There should be no way in.

-Oh and our hammerdwarf is on fire. BTW. He thinks this is a great time to go do some sparring. While on fire.

-Yeah, that didn't end well.

-Death toll is now at seven or so. Maybe a few more. We really need better gear for the military....they're good soldiers, but they don't have what they need to do their job.
-I've built a temporary hospital where the trade depot used to be. This needs to get replaced at some point as it's too small and can't be cleaned up if we get an extract problem.

However.....winter has just arrived.....and the dike is completed and ready to be filled.....eventually. If people get around to it.

The end-caps that will stop it draining into the lake mean it needs to extra walls to block climbers. Ideally, the dike would be an extra z-level higher...but that would mean ripping out the bridges and starting again. So that looks a bit odd and may need some revisions...but it's working!

So apart from that, it's.....

'Zuglarkun II', Inethugosh, Ghostly Mason can be heard howling throughout the fortress!

Dammit Zuggles! GO AWAY and STAY DEAD ALREADY.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:15:40 am by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 83