Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Beyond Sol OOC Thread (Thinking of Reviving. See latest post)  (Read 20048 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Beyond Sol OOC Thread (Thinking of Reviving. See latest post)
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:23:12 am »

Revival Discussion begins at Linked Post.  Stuff beforehand is roughly a year old and for the time should not be quoted.

IC Thread

The loss of Earth provided a great deal of strain upon its colonies upon the Moon, Mars, and the orbit of Venus.  However, while it was difficult, each of these colonies managed to provide for themselves and eventually grow into three great powers in the Solar System.

Those within the orbit of Venus had a difficult time at first.  They had the lowest amount of population, a measly twelve hundred colonists, the population maintaining the various mining and terraforming vessels that were being utilized upon the planet.  After some measured scavenging and the scuttling of a large portion of one of the smaller, earlier colonies to improve their factory system, they managed to do fairly well for themselves.  After a few generations, the Venutian air had been terraformed to the point where it was rendered safe for humans to live upon the planet, the strain to support the space required for the slowly growing population was lessened by a fair amount.  Lingering chemicals within the atmosphere resulted within the appearance of the colonists shifting to one with a slightly blue tint working its way into the melatonin-rich skin tone of the population.

Those upon the surface of Mars had a moderately less difficult time than Venus, as several of their colonies already had access to all the production facilities that Venus would have a measure of difficulty in gaining, but without the terraforming drones that Venus had been granted by the United Nations upon Earth before the planet had been destroyed and not having a high density atmosphere to work with, the terraforming of Mars was delayed by two further generations.  In the long term, this gap only really meant that the population upon Venus managed to catch up to the same number as the count of the number of humans existing upon Mars.  Over the generations, the population has slowly gained a slight dark orange tint to their skin tone.

The colonists upon the Moon had an inverse to Venus.  As the nearest to Earth, the population there was the greatest of the three areas with a population that could be sustained for several generations.  However, this proved to its detriment, as they had been unable to secure a method to continually expand their living spaces.    The population upon the body turned towards population control and careful genetic engineering to increase the efficiency of resource use within the human body.  The multiple generations of genetic modification led to the appearance held by the populace of the Moon to hold an appearance a fair degree different to those in the rest of the colonies.  The people are covered in a slightly gray exoskeleton, added to counter problems that had developed due to the low gravity, low atmosphere environment.

While in the beginning there was contact between the three installations, over time communications between the three dwindled and slowly died out.  Belief in each of the colonies was that the two others had slowly dwindled and died out, so when a Venutian Ship came by the Moon several generations later after Venus had constructed outposts upon Mercury, the fact that some were still alive upon the moon was surprising, much less the ones upon the Moon having such a strange appearance to the Venutians.  Things became more confusing when a Martian ship came by soon after.  In the ensuing confusion, it is unsure who exactly fired the first shot, just that the Moon Colonists ended both ships through use of their asteroid defense system.

The resulting war undid multiple decades of progress that had been made by the various colonists, on top of the backslide in progress caused as a result of Earth's destruction.  A peace was established between the worlds, but after only two generations it was already beginning to become strained between Venus and Mars.  Both of their planets managed to recover while the Moon was in the process of attempting to utilize the Venutian and Martian terraforming techniques to restore Earth, though failing, and had started to expand outwards once more.  Venus expanded upon its colony above Mercury, and had begun to add more, while Mars was starting to colonize the asteroid belt and look outwards to the Gas Giants.  The great deal of freedom in its colonization prospects caused tension to begin to build between Venus and Mars, which likely would have resulted in the two planets going to blows again, if not for a discovery made by scientists on the Moon.

This discovery was a device which could generate a wormhole to a region they had termed 'subspace' in order to allow for faster than light travel.  Initial testing resulted in a successful jump to the rings of Neptune, to the elation of the scientists.  Sadly, this proved to be a lucky fluke, as most later jumps proved to have a maximum range equal to around a single astronomical unit before things became too dangerous and the ship would need to return to normal space.  Despite this, the technology began to be frequently utilized for fast travel around the Solar System.  With the rapid transport provided by this technology allowing easier access to the outer planets, tensions between Venus and Mars began to wane.

Within a few years, a scientist by the name of Dr. Edward Forge came up with a idea.  It was a speculation that, if the Wormhole drive was utilized at a certain Langrine points within the Solar System, it is possible that the wormhole opened by the drive would be able to remain stable for a period of time to permit travel on an intergalactic scale.  As evidence, the Doctor claimed that the reason behind the initial launch from the Moon to Pluto, which for a yet to be determined reason had used the exact amount of energy as the common 1 AU jump, was due to the drive having interacted with a miniature Langrine point created between the Earth and Moon.  Very few decided to believe this theory, but rather than going onward in trying to convince people through additional papers, Dr. Forge, with a few followers, took a recently finished prototype ship that was in the process of being constructed as a joint project between the Moon, Venus, and Mars, went to the nearest Langrine, and made a wormhole jump at the Langrine point.  Detection satellites that monitored Wormhole travel did not detect an exit signature from the vessel, despite last transmissions indicating the subspace destabilization protocols as still being online.

Keeping the situation quiet, the three governments determined that a joint mission should be attempted to recapture the prototype and test whether the theory of Dr. Forge was true, as well as bringing the doctor to justice.  They took an aging Lunar vessel, the LSS Judgement, and equipped it with the latest technologies of all three interplanetary powers.  A crew was selected from the military ranks of all three powers, with the Captain being determined to be from the Moon.  This is where you come in.  As a member of the crew of the retrofitted cruiser, your mission is to capture the prototype and Dr. Forge, determine if intergalactic travel is possible, and, if possible, find further planets for colonization and determine if we are alone in the universe.

Spoiler: Ship Specifications (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

(Did I wind up putting in too much for the intro?  And how often did I completely fuck up?  I didn't have access to the internet when I was writing a good chunk this and my knowledge can only go so far.  And as Orbital Vector was taken down, that resource was lost as well.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:19:45 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol, Crew of the LSS Judgement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

Captain

First Officer
Spoiler: John Greer (Starsheen) (click to show/hide)

Chief Medical Officer
Spoiler: Oliva Cortal (Truean) (click to show/hide)

Chief Engineering Officer

Starship Pilot

Weapons Technicians

Transport Pilots

Medical Assistant/Ground Medics

Engineers
Spoiler: Brian Zlatar (Zormod) (click to show/hide)

Ground Force Commander

General Ground Forces
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:34:24 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (0/20)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:40 am »

Reserved.
Nice intro. Was it entirely of your own design?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:41:12 am »

Reserved.
Nice intro. Was it entirely of your own design?

My interest was kicked into this by one alternate universe fanfiction I saw. The only thing from that which was carried over is 'original home of humanity is fucked over', though.  Everything else came from various ideas I had and some things I saw on Orbital Vector.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:11:54 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:43:39 am »

PTW, BECAUSE I MAY WANT TO WATCH...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:50:59 am »

Reserved.

Looks exceptionally interesting, hopefully the high player limit doesn't prove it's downfall.  Definitely want to play, will update post with sheet as work today allows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:12:39 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:59:03 am »

Reserved.

Looks exceptionally interesting, hopefully the high player limit doesn't prove it's downfall.  Definitely want to play, will update post with sheet as work today allows.

If players are missing for a long period of time, I'll start running them as NPCs or give control to someone currently not playing.  And if you are referring to if there will be enough sheets, I'll just fill them with NPCs, that may eventually have control shifted to new players, after a week or so.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:02:28 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »

Looks great. I might sign up later.

By the way, it Lagrange, not Langrine
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 04:44:23 pm »

PTW.

Maybe join.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »

By the way, it Lagrange, not Langrine

I had no internet when I made that and spell check didn't have the correct spelling.  I'm not surprised I fucked it up.

Edit: Made a slight change to the sheet.  Gave some positions a few more points while removing them from other to show a difference in skill levels.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:34:59 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

spfifle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (A Science Fiction Forum Game) (0/20)
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 05:38:30 pm »

PTW. Will probably join.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:21:54 pm by spfifle »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 07:00:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:50:13 pm by Kassire »
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 07:31:24 pm »

Chief Medical Officer - Oliva Cortal

Current Research and Medical Projects:

I.) Genetically Engineered Lunar Horvinsen's Disease

Purpose: To Speed healing of injuries and closing of wounds.

In it's natural state, Lunar Horvinsen's Disease is an infectious condition characterized by Excess sweating, thirst, and extreme allergic response from the body.
In it's genetically engineered state, the disease can be of great use in drastically speeding up the healing process of injuries and wounds by eliminating the symptoms, and altering the allergic reaction to produce more blood platelets, temporarily strengthened antibodies, and increased blood production from marrow sources.

II.) Genetically Engineered Retroviral Radiation Absorbing

Purpose: Treat and prevent radiation poisoning.

A particular strand of retrovirus can be used to create a gene therapy deliver system that essentially inoculates against radiation poisoning.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:27:20 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »

Jacob 'Visa' Salivar "Ground Force Commander"

(Though I would really go for something even if slightly above "grunt," more in skill than rank for sure in a security role). More for wilderness and urban navigation, if nothing else please. There doesn't seem to be Warf's position on Star Trek as Chief Security Officer or anything or even someone to lead the soldiers in combat while the captain is busy running the ship.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:31:34 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:59 pm »

Allison "Foxy" Brendan ---- Transport Pilot.

They told me I was gonna fly a spaceship.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12