Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 192692 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1245 on: December 25, 2016, 06:22:11 pm »

well its not exactly a new thing. the Turks have been doing that of a thousand years to the Greeks. that's why turkey is a thing in the first place.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 25, 2016, 06:57:17 pm »

So you have no idea if Turkey is going to stay or not, and just guessed based on how you don't like Turkey?

It's also interesting that you would speak negatively of Turkey's actions in Cyprus. From the article you linked:
As a result of the Turkish invasion, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe stated that the demographic structure of the island has been continuously modified as a result of the deliberate policies of the Turks. Following the occupation of Northern Cyprus, civilian settlers from Turkey began arriving on the island. Despite the lack of consensus on the exact figures, all parties concerned admitted that Turkish nationals began arriving in the northern part of the island in 1975.[150] It was suggested that over 120,000 settlers came to Cyprus from mainland Turkey.[150][dead link] This was a violation of the Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which prohibits an occupier from transferring or deporting parts of its own civilian population into an occupied territory.[151]

Oh, i don't know about that, i just though that
Quote from: Baffler
the Turks don't plan on staying, because Turkey is actually held accountable for their actions and can't just bite off chunks of their neighbors without someone doing something about it.

Btw, since Syria invaded Israel, most of the Golan Heights was legally purchased Jewish lands that the Syrians confiscated, Israel need to safeguard the water sources to the sea of galilee, which Syria tried to divert before and since it serves as a geographical buffer to Syrian's aggression, which evidently, saved Israel during Yom Kippur war, i'd say Israel's case is "bit" stronger than Turkey's conquest of Cyprus just because, well, Turkey is known to been doing that for years..

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 25, 2016, 09:04:58 pm »

Oh, i don't know about that, i just though that
Quote from: Baffler
the Turks don't plan on staying, because Turkey is actually held accountable for their actions and can't just bite off chunks of their neighbors without someone doing something about it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I think I may have read sarcasm in your earlier post here where there was none:
And yeah, Let's wait and see how long will it take Turkey to pull out.

If that's the case that's on me. But anyway,
Btw, since Syria invaded Israel, most of the Golan Heights was legally purchased Jewish lands that the Syrians confiscated, Israel need to safeguard the water sources to the sea of galilee, which Syria tried to divert before and since it serves as a geographical buffer to Syrian's aggression, which evidently, saved Israel during Yom Kippur war, i'd say Israel's case is "bit" stronger than Turkey's conquest of Cyprus just because, well, Turkey is known to been doing that for years..

The fact that Turkey's claim on Cyprus is illegitimate is completely unrelated to whether or not Israel is justified in occupying Golan. I just wonder why you defend Israel for doing exactly the same thing you're condemning Turkey for. That is, moving a bunch of people into territory occupied on a thin pretense and displacing the locals. Not just in Golan, but with the settlements and bulldozing on the West Bank too. The only material difference here is that Turkey didn't outright declare their annexation of North Cyprus and made it a Donetsk-esque pseudostate instead. How useful it would be to Israel to own that land doesn't have a single iota of relevance to how legitimate their claim over it is. So tell me, why should it be Israel's other than "it's strategically valuable?"
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:06:55 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 26, 2016, 03:28:20 am »

Siezing territory as a buffer against invasion really isn't a good strategy. Even disregarding the ineffectiveness of doing so eventually your border buffer becomes just another part of your state (Unless you DMZ it) so you'd need to inexorably spread outwards to maintain a buffer.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 26, 2016, 03:54:36 am »

Siezing territory as a buffer against invasion really isn't a good strategy. Even disregarding the ineffectiveness of doing so eventually your border buffer becomes just another part of your state (Unless you DMZ it) so you'd need to inexorably spread outwards to maintain a buffer.
Feature, not bug, that last part.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 26, 2016, 04:05:07 am »

Depends on the details. For exemple, part of why Israel is so reluctant to let the West Bank go is not only that it provides a buffer, but that it removes a "pinch" in the country's shape that could help Arabs army cut the country in two, plus the West Bank/Jordan border is much shorter and defensible (with the dead sea and all) than the Israel/West bank.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 26, 2016, 06:24:24 am »

In response to a fake news site reporting which fabricated a quote by Isreali minister of defense Moshe Yaalon that 'Israel will destroy Pakistan withy nuclear fire if they start fighting IS in Syria',
the Pakistani minister of defense  Khawaja Asif, thinking it was real news, threatened Israel with full nuclear war.

Israel responded by explaining that the news site was completely fake.
The Pakistani government hasn't responded to that.

And there we were, thinking the Cuba missile crisis was a dangerous thing. Turns out the internet is much more dangerous. It's time to sign a non-proliferation treaty about the internet, and start dismantling it.

I predict spreading false news will be considered a terrorist act, and cause SWAT teams to come and kill the makers within a decade.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.761146

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/middleeast/israel-pakistan-fake-news-nuclear/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:37:08 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 26, 2016, 06:27:02 am »

The Golan Heights is a geographical border which also happens to have strategic dominance over Israel's largest natural water source which is why it was conquered as a buffer for repeating Syrian aggression.

If Israel withdraws unilaterally from the West Bank, like Obama wants and like he is going to push for on the 15th of january and probably succeed, then Israel will have to face Hamas in the West Bank, with access from Jordan like they have now in Egypt, and $200 worth qassam rockets range from Ben Gurion Airport and every single time Hamas will shoot rockets that shuts down Israel only international Airport, psudeo liberals will blame Israel for responding. obviously they will call Hamas terrorists, roll their eyes and condemn them but that doesn't really impress Hamas much.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 26, 2016, 08:10:44 am »

Jeez, people are calling to pull the settlers. I don't think the resolution has anything to say about the military occupation. Unless you're trying to tell me that they build Qassam rockets out of clay, so you have no choice but to steal their land to deprive them of their dirt supply.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 26, 2016, 08:48:30 am »

Huh? Pull the settlers and keep Area C under military occupation? who's calling for that? that doesn't make any sense.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 26, 2016, 08:52:18 am »

So you need the settlers to give a justification for your occupation?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 26, 2016, 10:03:57 am »

In response to a fake news site reporting which fabricated a quote by Isreali minister of defense Moshe Yaalon that 'Israel will destroy Pakistan withy nuclear fire if they start fighting IS in Syria',
the Pakistani minister of defense  Khawaja Asif, thinking it was real news, threatened Israel with full nuclear war.

Israel responded by explaining that the news site was completely fake.
The Pakistani government hasn't responded to that.

And there we were, thinking the Cuba missile crisis was a dangerous thing. Turns out the internet is much more dangerous. It's time to sign a non-proliferation treaty about the internet, and start dismantling it.

I predict spreading false news will be considered a terrorist act, and cause SWAT teams to come and kill the makers within a decade.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.761146

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/middleeast/israel-pakistan-fake-news-nuclear/

Oh hell......

Fake  news DID start a war once, the Spanish American war, though it took a concerted effort on the part of newspapers to get the ball rolling.

Although if you want to stretch it a little, you could include the second Gulf war.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 26, 2016, 11:13:13 am »

I mean, you know, and Vietnam.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 26, 2016, 11:13:31 am »

So you need the settlers to give a justification for your occupation?

Again, Huh?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 26, 2016, 11:23:27 am »

Huh? Pull the settlers and keep Area C under military occupation? who's calling for that? that doesn't make any sense.

Well, the current resolution for exemple, calls for a halt to settlement, a removal of all settlements built after 2001 but says nothing about removing occupation from Area C or others.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 162