Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Gods War: D&D 5e and OOC thread  (Read 12648 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Gods War: D&D 5e and OOC thread
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »

((Civilization thread is here ))
This is the Out-of-character and announcement thread for, get ready for this, not one but TWO upcoming forum games! They will run in tandem.

The first is a civilization management forum game. The players rule the cities of Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, and Elves, and comprise the Armok Alliance faction. You are opposed by The Monstrous (Goblins, Ogres, Drow...), The Hellish (Devils, undead...), and The Renegades (fey, Mermaids, Kobolds...), and you're somewhat outclassed. Gather and allot resources, build up your cities, keep your people safe and grow your civilization until you are strong enough to properly wage war against the coming evil. Work together if you can, you're all on the same team. There'll be 8 players, one for each of the 8 subraces. There'll be two turns per real-life week.

The second game is a Dungeons and Dragons 5e campaign, which will run in weekly sessions using Maptools. You play as a handful of Adventurers, maybe even Heroes, in the world of the other game. The missions and quests you embark on will be assigned to you by the other thread (by community vote, you can participate in those of course), and your actions will affect their world. Sometimes your tasks will be straightforward (clear out this ruin so we can live in it), sometimes your tasks will be more open-ended or require a creative solution (do what you can to weaken the defenses of this enemy city before we raid it). Sometimes you'll be working on your own, sometimes you'll be assigned a support unit (to guard the wagon or whatever), sometimes you'll be defending a city alongside... well, an entire city. In any case, your party of adventurers basically represents The Chosen Few of the Armok Alliance; where numbers are the absolute determiner of the city leaders' capabilities, a ragtag bunch of misfit badasses has the versatility to do almost anything.

As mentioned before, the two games run in tandem; actions in one game affect the other, and you'll all need to work together with the players from both games. Very few Adventure Town resources will be available at the start; for the Adventurers to get properly geared up, the Civilization players will need to work on building up their cities. Likewise, the Civilization players will come up against several obstacles that the in-game mechanics don't allow them to handle, and they'll need to send in the Adventurers to find a creative solution.
One major point is that the Adventurers have some of their level 2-3 class features, like your Druid Circle or Ranger Archetype, locked out until they visit a class-specific building constructed by the Civilization players. The Civilization players are encouraged to build these quickly, not just to help the adventurers, but because those buildings provide benefits to the Civilization as well (and aren't as expensive as other large projects, and each Civ race gets discounts for some of them, and...). I don't intend to be completely heartless about this, of course; if we've gone too long without constructing or visiting the buildings you need, I the DM will use my plotbending powers and find a way to shoehorn it in. These class buildings will also provide a benefit (increased Rage Damage, an extra spell slot...) to the Adventurers of that class for their next mission, on every visit. Bear in mind, the Adventurers will spend their downtime in the largest town of the nearest civilization after every mission, and will only be able to make use of that town's resources.

I'm planning to have 2 Civilization Game turns per week, each representing an in-game month, and one D&D session per week, on Sunday evenings (North America time. Around 7 or 8 PM CST)

So! Signups time!
You can't apply to play in both games.

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Applications so far (click to show/hide)

This thread will serve as the Out-Of-Character thread for both games once they actually start, but for now, signups time!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:22:03 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

Reserving a spot in the DnD campaign. What kind of tech level are we talking here? I assume standard DnD, but just in case... Or will there be tech progression?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to be mountain dwarves for civ game

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile

Hills Dwarves. My civ will be called, "The Hills of Technology!"
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

Race: "Wood Elves"
Civ Name: "The Jungles of Death"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to reserve a spot for the D&D game. I'm probably going to build a Monk or a grappling Fighter.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

I'd like to reserve a spot for the D&D game. I'm probably going to build a Monk or a grappling Fighter.
I'm working on a rogue at the moment.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm working on a rogue at the moment.
I'll hold them down, and you can stab them!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Made a Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight for the D&D campaign. Beer for all!

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

TylerDarkness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Made a Rock Gnome Wizard for the Dnd campaign Fuck Spiders

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What kind of tech level are we talking here? I assume standard DnD, but just in case... Or will there be tech progression?

Yeah, the setting's technology level is basically at the D&D standard, only... well...
Imagine a Dwarf Fortress embark where you had 200 Dwarves but few tools and not enough food, and had to build as much infrastructure as you can in two months. The end of those two months is where civilization's pretty much at right now.
Eventually the Civ players can build some nifty magic things, but for now, there's mostly just wood and stone and a little bit of steel.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I went ahead and made a section in the OP for submissions thus far. Easier to stay organized, you understand.
Also, remember, there's no "reserving" spots on the D&D roster. Best fit wins on that one. Although even if you don't get in, you can always play in the Civilization game if there's spots left, and anyone can participate in the community votes!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9