Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unnamed Game of Gestalt  (Read 2222 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Unnamed Game of Gestalt
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:24:05 pm »

I recently came across an RPG system by the name of Gestalt (Rule System) when taking a glance at a few of the systems the /tg/ board of 4chan had created.  Essentially, the game plays like a pen and paper version of the game known as Trine, but with a few changes.  For one, your character can actually die within the Gestalt by losing their sense of identity.  Don't worry, you won't be dropped from the game.  Instead, you would be able to rejoin as a 'fictional', a false personality created by the body to replace the lost soul.

The setting I have in mind for this game is as follows (Will rewrite into a proper intro if enough interest.):
The demonic forces of hell have been able to create a cult of sufficient size that they were able to construct a massive gateway to invade the planet the game is set upon.  Due to the massive incursion, the gods decide to declare the end of the world and send down their forces to cleanse the world to prepare it to be reset through their own gate on the other side of the world from the gate to Hell, with the angels and other divine entities under their control ordered to purge all life upon the planet, as those that remain would be infected by the creation of Hell's gateway.  The nations of the world are undergoing complete collapse in the wake of these events, though a few nations remain intact and are trying, and frequently failing, to wage war upon both invading forces.  Your characters would be within an area of the world when the creation of the two gates caused a resonance, causing the forces of magic to go strange and, as one example, combined you into the Gestalt.

In regards to the world's technology, think of it being roughly in line with the World War I era technology, though there are some ahistorical creations as a result of minor levels of magic existing.  It is not to the scale where Wizards exist, but there are certain materials and a runic language that carry properties commonly associated with magic and are able to be combined for various rituals.

As for starting location, I'm thinking of having the Gestalt start within a large city, or at least the city's outskirts.  Think along the lines of London, Paris, or Berlin around the turn of the century or early World War I to get a general idea of how things are.  There may be a few things ahistorical, but in general that's what the starting area is like in terms of culture and appearance.

If you are still interested after reading all of that or became interested after reading all of that, the character sheet is below.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

I'll probably go with 3-4 individuals selected on a merit-basis.  Will probably extend the number to higher if there are several applications of good quality, as it is based on an estimate of how many people would want to play this.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:20:25 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Nunzillor

Re: Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »

I'd give it a try.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:59 pm »

Was intending for the final post to look at least a bit better and include the setting I had in mind.  Oh well, it's out there already.  I'll just put the setting in another post or edit it into the OP.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check for /tg/'s Gestalt RPG
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:31 am »

Rebuilt the OP, character sheet and setting details are now included.  Feel free to send a sheet in if you are interested.

Nunzillor

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »

Reserved for sheet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Post to sheet up later.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 07:19:43 pm »

Curious, what do people think of the setting that is going to be used for the game?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Game of Gestalt
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 08:09:21 pm »

((PTW))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »

In! Character sheet up soon.

I like the setting, although I wonder if some of the angels refused the order to purge.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 10:50:51 pm »

I like the setting, although I wonder if some of the angels refused the order to purge.

I'm currently debating as to whether to have them as automatons constrained to the will of the gods that created them, or having free will with a natural disposition towards following their gods.  Former wouldn't allow for any deviations (without some outside effect), but the latter has the chance of a couple naturally deciding against following through with the purge.  Naturally, they would be labelled for death as well, but there's a slim chance a few doubters could have survived.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:42 pm »

Name: Metu Aeternae
Race: Lich (used to be Human)
Profession: Artificer, dabbling in Necromancy
Appearance: Basically, a Ghoul from Fallout 4, but with long, slender arms and legs.

Dice Track: (No need to mess with this section.)
12 - [ ]
10 - [ ]
8 -   [-]
6 -   [ ]
4 -   [ ]

Unity: (No need to mess with this section.)

Vicissitudes: (No need to mess with this section.)
Soma
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Soul
Psyche

Inspiration: (Check Gestalt RPG rules if confused)
I feel Natural When: Creating magical items (or inticrate technological ones)
I feel Proud When: Leaving a mark on the world
I feel Calm When: The Gestalt is working together smoothly
Adversity:
I feel Afraid When: My life is in true danger (>=25% chance of death)
I feel Awkward When: In social situations (Metu's a bit of a hermit)
I feel Empathy When: One of my creations is destroyed in a way it was not meant to be

The Self: (Backstory stuff.  Questions taken directly from Gestalt RPG ruleset.)
What Was I Before The Merge? A lich who was (and still is) determined to scatter artifacts across this world so that the post-purge world will remember our culture and technological advances.
What Has the Merge Done to me? I am panicking a little. The others (in the Gestalt) are unsuited for hermetic life- they probably will delay the Project (the artifact creation and scattering) by a huge amount, due to their impatience and wanderlust.
Who am I, really? A man who has accepted the apocalypse, and is preparing for the end of the world (also, Metu is kind of cowardly and submissive).
What am I Trying to Achieve? The Project must be completed.
What is in My Way? Time, and unfortunate circumstances.
What Do I Think of Those I’m merged with? I'm indifferent/friendly towards them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:46:43 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »

What Was I Before The Merge? A lich who was (and still is) determined to scatter artifacts across this world so that the post-purge world will remember our culture and technological advances.
What Has the Merge Done to me? I am panicking a little. The others (in the Gestalt) are unsuited for hermetic life- they probably will delay the Project (the artifact creation and scattering) by a huge amount, due to their impatience and wanderlust.
Who am I, really? A man who has accepted the apocalypse, and is preparing for the end of the world (also, Metu is kind of cowardly and submissive).
What Do I Think of Those I’m merged with? I'm indifferent/friendly towards them.

There's one fairly large problem with this section of your sheet.  The Gestalt is formed immediately as the Purge begins and not several years down the line, which what you filled out seems to imply.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:42 pm »

There's one fairly large problem with this section of your sheet.  The Gestalt is formed immediately as the Purge begins and not several years down the line, which what you filled out seems to imply.
Oh. Maybe there was a prophecy or something?