Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rise from Dust (OOC/Applications)  (Read 3622 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Rise from Dust (OOC/Applications)
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »

All of the original gods are dead.  Whether abandoned by those who worshipped them, slain by their kin or mortal upstarts, or gradually faded away, none of the original creators remain alive any more.  At first, there was little to no effect upon the inhabitants of the world.  The systems set up by those who created the world kept ticking on without a care.  However, given time, things slowly began to change.

Creations of the gods that empowered the growth and prosperity of several civilizations began to fail.  These included biomes remade to be favourable to the inhabitants of the nations and giant constructs that focused mystic energies and powered technology that allowed the nations to prosper.  With their failure, the civilizations which relied upon them proceeded to rapidly collapse.  The sudden collapse of these civilizations ignited the death of further nations with the collapse of trade and warlords overextending themselves into the collapsing territories.  However, worse was still to come.

Several of the deities that constructed the world had created vast engines of their domains as a display of their power or to increase their own.  Some of these were created to attempt to stave off their own deaths, eventually proving to be a futile effort.  With the sheer amount of power invested in these constructs, they were some of the last of the creations on the mortal plane to fall, sending shockwaves across the entirety of the planet from the domains rapidly erupting.  Massive storms spread across the planet, tearing apart many of the final nations that managed to stabilize during the prior collapse.  Massive volcanoes began to erupt and formed new mountain ranges causing the death of yet more of the nations.  Great beasts, no longer limited by the barriers imposed by their creators began to roam the world and slaying many of the survivors of the catastrophes that engulfed the world.  The massive constructs created beyond the atmosphere by one of the oldest gods broke apart, and those that did not form into a ring falling from orbit and dealing massive damage in a random fashion to the land.

The afterlife managed to hold out the longest, being a creation that had been contributed to in one way or another.  However, it too eventually fell, the souls inside being thrown back to the planet or being torn as it slowly warped and fragmented.  Heroes from old legends were transformed from their old ideals to creatures worse than the worst of their foes.  Their great foes becoming mere food for the beasts or little more than scared kittens perpetually running in fear from all they bore witness to.  Those who died and tried to enter the afterlife through the remaining, broken gates frequently found themselves corrupted or devoured by what they had found.  Much more frequently, however, the souls were left wandering through the world, slowly forgetting themselves and their souls collapsing to nothing.

Many years after the Fall, as these events were known, there was little more left than ruins that small tribes occasionally wandered through.  The great achievements of the past were all but forgotten as the world regressed back into its earliest ages of Stone, and in some cases, pre-technology.  Something changed in these times, however.  The power once wielded by the gods began to reappear within several mortals.  In a vast majority of cases, it was dormant, but there were a few that had full access to their power.  What these individuals may become is truly unknown, but there is always a chance that this may herald a rise of new gods from the dust of the world of the old gods...

What is this?
A god game where all players start out as demigods and must ascend the ranks to hold greater status and greater power.

Your Demigod
As mentioned in the prior section, each player starts out as a Demigod.  Due to having the active power of a demigod, your character start as the leader of their tribe, who represent their first followers.  In this state, your character is limited to performing a Minor Acts, a single each turn at the start.  As experience and the number of followers grows, this number will slowly increase.

Upon your death, if they have a great enough amount of power, your character may be able to ascend to the status of godhood.  At this point, two things happen.  First is that access to the ability to perform standard Acts is granted to the newly ascended Younger God.  Second, the first domain is gained, which is based upon the actions performed while still a Demigod.  If Younger Gods align themselves into a Pantheon, there is a chance that they may combine their power to be able to cast a Major Act, but this is very rare.  Pantheons formed by Younger Gods are still able to augment their power to a greater degree than would normally be possible for them to do so alone, but only to a point.

After a period of time passes and the number of followers increases, the Younger God will grow into first a Major God.  In this state, the Younger God is able to cast Major Acts of their own volition, sporadically at first, but to a greater degree as time goes on.  Furthermore, their second domain becomes manifest, this one based upon their behaviour as a Younger God.  With the amount of power held by these individuals, they gain the ability to consume Younger Gods to augment their own abilities.  However, beings on this level gain nothing from being a part of a Pantheon, unlike their younger counterparts.

With age, something strange starts to happen to a Major God.  The combined measure of their experience causes them to enter the Elder God state.  When they first enter this form, their power is at its greatest and they are able to perform Major Acts with a fair deal of ease.  However, this level of power comes at a cost.  As time goes on, their power seeps into their very name, causing mentioning of it to invoke their power.  With time, this gets to the point where mortals, Demigods, and even Younger Gods are unable to speak the name of these entities without getting warped by the sheer power of these individuals.  Due to a massive follower drop off, their power begins to weaken, causing them to need to consume other Gods and hoard to remain active.

Acts
Note: When using an act in game, be descriptive of how it is performed and a description of what the act performed does.  Due to the scale, the latter portion can be very small with the Minor Acts, but will need to be more descriptive with the higher power acts.

Minor Acts - These are the most basic of the acts.  These allow for the ability to impart the ability to create certain technologies upon individuals and boost the capabilities, whether combat, mystic, or another type, to small groups of people.  These also allow for the creation of artifacts able to be utilized by mortal and Demigod individuals, but beings of greater power will cause the artifacts to break apart.

Acts - These are the regular forms of godly acts.  At this stage, whole species may be imparted with knowledge, have their capabilities affected, or even new species may be created.  Large swathes of land are able to be changed at this level, and artifacts created here will slay mortals who try to use them, but Demigods, Younger Gods, and Major Gods are all able to wield them.  Contact with Elder Gods will cause these artifacts to be consumed, however.

Major Acts - Most any action is able to be performed at this level.  If it is outside the scope of the act, I will inform you.  Artifacts made with one of these acts will kill any except for Major Gods and Elder Gods.

Character Sheet
Name: (Name of Character)
Race: (See: Races)
Age: (How old your character is. See Races for typical age of becoming a leader of a tribe and for maximum age.  As a Demigod, you may live longer than average and may have secured power at a younger age, but that lists what is typically seen.)
Description: (Appearance of character)
Early Life: (What your character went through in their early life to get to the position of power they now hold.)
Followers: <Home Tribe> (Replace 'Home Tribe' with the name of the tribe.)
Power: 1 Minor Act

Races
After the Fall, the number of intelligent races that managed to survive is greatly lowered from beforehand.  While the planet had originally had numerous different intelligent species, after the Fall this number had been reduced to five.

Humans are able to be found on nearly any area suitable for life due to being made with a high propensity to explore and can be found within both Stone Age and Pretechnological levels.  The leaders of their societies typically take power at the age of 23 and live to the age of 40.

Upon the Western Continent, Dryads are found on the within its numerous forests.  There societies are generally without any technology, though a few tribes have constructed Stone Age tools and weapons to defend themselves.  The leaders of their societies typically take power at the age of 32 and live to the age of 55.

Within the mountain ranges of the Eastern Continent are the Harpies.  Due only having a limited ability to grasp from their arms and wings being mostly combined, they have regressed to a state of Pretechnology across the entirety of their species.  The leaders of their societies typically take power at the age of 19 and live to the age of 35.

Within the large caverns found running through much of the eastern continent, the Svartálfar species is found.  They hold an appearance similar to short, somewhat emancipated elves with skin tones near pitch to remain hidden in the darkness of the caverns.  Rather than the standard eyes of other sentients, this race has what appear to be compound eyes below their eyelids to better catch the low light provided by the bioluminescent fungus that grows underground.  This race typically has stone age technologies, but some deep within the earth are still pretechnological.  The leaders of their societies typically take power at the age of 28 and live to the age of 50.

On the coasts of the archipelagos to the South and West of the Eastern Continent and a few scattered tribes on the east of the same continent, live the Merfolk race.  The societies that are built upon coastal land typically have Stone Age technology, while those within the shallow waters are typically pretechnological.  The leaders of their societies typically take power at the age of 26 and live to the age of 45.

World Map

(Did I put too much in this one post?  Please tell me if there are any points of confusion to be clarified.)

(Oh, almost forgot.  I'm probably going to select on a basis of merit rather than first-come, first served.  Don't worry, though.  I'm not going to go easy on the difficulty.  The first person to get a Younger God status will be a fairly difficult achievement.  Depending upon their actions, it may get easier or harder afterwards.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:27:02 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Rise from Dust (God Game)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »

-Lot of words in the prior post, so reserving this post for overflow.-
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:15:47 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »

Reading, reserved for the meanwhile.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:56 pm »

Hm, interesting.

Name: Karlos
Race: Human
Description: A somewhat short man of brownish complexion and black hair, he is not at all unique in his appearance.
Early Life: Karlos had a roughly normal childhood for his tribe; he was raised by the women, inducted into the men's society and all-in-all seemed rather normal. Or at least, that's what everyone believed. In truth, Karlos had a fascination with the dead, how they're bodies would rise and mutate into those abominations and would soon cause a great deal of trouble if they were not destroyed. For that reason, his tribe had cremated their dead for generations. Of course, Karlos desired to know how and why the process occurred. He finally received the chance when his father died. As his father's firstborn it would be he who would have to arrange the funeral fire and spread the news to the rest of the tribe. Of course, he didn't have to do that right now. And so, he hid the body in the wilderness and waited. Unluckily for him, the body reanimated just as Karlos was busy hunting. At first disappointed, Karlos became terrified when his former parent started charging at him. In desperation, Karlos asked the body to stop and oddly enough, it did. Puzzled, he tried ordering around the abomination further, and it seemed to follow its other commands. He then practiced his new found ability on small forest abominations, who too heeded command. After a few demonstrations to the tribe, he was soon elected the chief's heir with the chief himself almost ready to croak.
Followers: Cantabrian Tribe
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:14:40 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:57 pm »

Spoiler: sheet in (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:30:18 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »

One question, why does it seem this world lacks dwarves?

I wanted to break from the standard fantasy race formula of there always being elves, dwarves, and goblins/orcs as the races added to make the world fantasy.  Drow are a bit close, but have a fairly different methodology to the standard elves.

Should probably ask as a just-in-case, if I wind up creating a game using this setting, would I have permission to use characters created for this forum game in that game?  The one I have in mind for creation likely wouldn't wind up having tem appear (Would be a metroidvania-type game through one of the ruins), but if I wind up going past that, they may wind up showing up in some form, and I want to know if that would be okay to actually do.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »

Character later tonight.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »

PTW
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:51 pm »

Name: Maria Rose; Self styled as the "Queen of Thorns"
Race: Dryad
Description: A tall and lithe humanoid made of twisted and gnarled wood. Long branch like limbs end in sharpened stakes of wood for fingers. Thorns jut from her body, growing longer and mixed with briars and twigs to form what could be called hair that flows down to frame her face, sharpened hard wood forms her fangs and slightly glowing orbs of amber sap serve as eyes, a large scar runs across the wood of her face between said eyes, a reminder, both to her foes about her strength to survive such a wound, and to herself as to the betrayals of the lesser races.

Spoiler: Early Life (click to show/hide)

Followers: Rose Tribe

Edit: Since there wasn't really a racial description for Dryads I sorta just made stuff up as I went along (and was inspired by war hammer fantasy dryads). I hope that's okay/I can probably fix anything that doesn't work.

Oh, and by the way, you're free to use whatever you want from me in your game. Although if you're doing something serious I think drow are copywrite  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:00:04 pm by Criptfeind »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »

me: Alessandra "Gene" Genevieve
Race:Human
Description: her hair is amber and short with ragged edges and overall unkempt and ragged.
 She is a impressive 6ft8 with blue eyes and a stressed pale face that shows how much the years have not been kind.
Her right eye is murkey and dull with burn marks of most likely intense heat arranged around it in a sun pattern.
.She is covered in scars long and curved and old
.her entire left lower arm is gone
.she wears clothes made mostly out of worn out leather
Wears a small blue gem held by leather around her neck in a hexagon shape.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Followers: <The Throne Of Saviours>
Power:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:39:45 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:46 pm »

Name: Jarongof (Names became more elaborate after the apocalypse :P)
Race: Human (Tribe is mixed, but 50% Human)
Description: A broad-shouldered, strong, firm, and commanding man, still as fit as someone 10 years younger than him. He is very intelligent, and sometimes looks off into the distance, daydreaming. He tends towards Order and Kindness (LN, with Good leanings).
Early Life: Jarongof was a highly-ranked scavenger and historian of the Inheritors, a group of creatures that are determined to reclaim destroyed cities and restore them to their former glory (and beyond, someday). Despite his natural talents, Jarongof wasn't a very important or noticeable scavenger- until the visions came. At first, they were overwhelming and sporadic- Jarongof would go into a coma for several minutes, dreaming muddled, confusing dreams, and wake up fine soon after. Eventually, he began to recover information from the visions- and he learned that the visions told him things about the old world. After more refinement, he could trigger the visions at will, focusing them upon a touched object. He shortened the required time as well- the visions now only needed to be a few seconds (real-time) long, and didn't cause him to fall into a coma. Jarongof's new insight into the purpose of recovered items quickly shot him up to a unofficial position of power (Jarongof has so far refused offers of Chieftanship, although many people do what he say out of admiration). Instead of assuming a true role of leadership, he would journey out, and return a few weeks later with wondrous items. His time away, and miraculous finds soon caused rumors that he was a god...

Now, Jarongof wishes to truly uplift his tribe, and finally fulfill their dream of being able to make some of these relics themselves...
Followers: The Inheritors
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »

Also, you have my permission to use Jarongof.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:21 pm »

Although if you're doing something serious I think drow are copywrite  ;)

I'll probably just use what possibly partially inspired them, the Svartálfar, if they would show up in the game.  Actually, you know what, might as well do that now...

Anyway, onto commentary of the sheets currently completed.

But one minor thing before I do that, could you each mention roughly where your tribes are based?  Helps out a bit as to how things interact and where aspects you mentioned are based upon the world.  Would even allow for conflict between Demigods if the chance presents itself.

Interesting background.  Heading for a Death God or Necromancy God, I presume?

Really barebones on the early life and description.  Going to want to replace the race name with Svartálfar.  Description might want to be changed to account for the slight modifications, as while the first is relative and the eye color could be what tint the compound eyes have, the Silver hair portion might better fit as a darker color to aid in stealth.  Granted, could be a mark of the strange nature of your character as a Demigod.

Very interesting backstory you have here.  Tells quite a bit of how your character acts.  Very nice.  Might be good to have it end when just when she gains power, at the start of reforming the tribes.  Gives something for you to work towards at the start of the game.

A few different problems with this sheet.  The Power is not something to fill in.  It is meant to mark how many minor acts you have.  With your Early Life, you have a very long run-on sentence and the occasional typo makes it fairly confusing to read through.  As for the description, you are in charge of a society that is Stone Age at best.  Having iron armour is quite a bit outside the capabilities at the current time.  There is a minor possibility to get armour of that quality from ruins, but going through one of those is extremely risky, and, as such, I'm not letting it be in backstory.

As I mentioned in the prior commentary of a sheet, going into the ruins is stupid dangerous.  To give you an idea, there's some stuff wandering inside that could kill Younger or, in cases, Major gods (potentially even an Elder God slayer).  Considering that, going into those areas is not a event I'm going to allow to be in a backstory.  I like the thought of a tribe attempting to preserve the history of the world, scavenging for tech is very far outside the limits of what could be done.  While it may seem a bit too great, keep in mind that these cities were ones that had gone through the Fall and remained, at least partially, intact and may have killed a number of Gods beforehand with what they built.  Yeah, breaching one of those and even taking a single item is not really a backstory event, even with some knowledge of the city granted by viewing the past.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:27:39 pm »

It was more worthless decoration then anything so i can get rid of it so ill fix the run on i can put it in bullet points if you want?
 i'll try to fix the errors i mainly use a text to speech cause of my disgraphia so ill take some time to fix the errors.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: [1] 2 3