Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Aoshi's test thread: Test 2?  (Read 71831 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics test
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 08:41:11 pm »

In again, if you'll let me.

EDIT: one way of very slowly gaining dice at the cost of averaging rolls would be splitting them.
EX: your queue is currently 6 1 2 5 2 4. You have three numbers large enough to split. You could, A) choose to roll a number between 1 and X-1, with X being the number being split. In the case of splitting a 4, this is basically flipping a coin, with heads generating a pair of 2s, or tails generating a 1 and a 3.
The lowest number result is left in the spot of the original number, and the larger of the two is placed at the end of the queue. This means bad luck will be intensified, but you'll have more rolls to pick from in compensation.
Alteratively, B) the numbers are split as evenly as possible, with 6 being un-splitable as a overshoot. in this case, splitting a 5 would yield 3 and 2, while splitting a 3 would yield 1 and 2. if a person was desperate and did not mind intensifying their failure rate, they could spit everything except for 1 and 6, which already have nasty effects.

In both cases, splitting would take a free pick to use.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:09:00 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nunzillor

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:40 pm »

In?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2016, 01:18:47 am »

Heya. Doing a simple mechanics test here so I need few volunteers. Mechanics are as follows:
  • In the beginning I will roll you 10d6 for you. These are used in order for your future actions.
  • You start with three "free picks". Free pick means that you can pick any die from the queue for your action.
  • For every turn you don't use free picks, you gain one more.
  • There are few ways to modify your roll queue. Figure them out.

For example your initial roll queue is 1,4,3,6,4,5,5,1,2,2. It sucks having to roll 1 so you rather pick 4. I remove first 4 from queue and roll new die to keep queue length same. In this case RNG said 4, so you refreshed queue is 1,3,6,4,5,5,1,2,2,4. Your action succeeds, but your next roll is still 1. Unless you do something about it.
While you can keep picking better rolls, this has tendecy to cause bad rolls piling into long sequence of bad luck.

So, any volunteers?
This sort of system seems like it would be interesting with a time travel/premonition style game. Since you know the results of your actions before they happen.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2016, 04:52:57 am »

Confusing time travel, count me in.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2016, 11:29:46 am »

Bah.
Baa.

This'll be anti-easy
Easy as stealing candy from baby.

Am I in this round?
Yes you are.

Either respawn or waitlist.
Your master has gracefully granted you a life.

In, if possible.
It is possible.

In again, if you'll let me.

EDIT: one way of very slowly gaining dice at the cost of averaging rolls would be splitting them.
EX: your queue is currently 6 1 2 5 2 4. You have three numbers large enough to split. You could, A) choose to roll a number between 1 and X-1, with X being the number being split. In the case of splitting a 4, this is basically flipping a coin, with heads generating a pair of 2s, or tails generating a 1 and a 3.
The lowest number result is left in the spot of the original number, and the larger of the two is placed at the end of the queue. This means bad luck will be intensified, but you'll have more rolls to pick from in compensation.
Alteratively, B) the numbers are split as evenly as possible, with 6 being un-splitable as a overshoot. in this case, splitting a 5 would yield 3 and 2, while splitting a 3 would yield 1 and 2. if a person was desperate and did not mind intensifying their failure rate, they could spit everything except for 1 and 6, which already have nasty effects.

In both cases, splitting would take a free pick to use.
So sacrificing your good future for longer foresight. That's actually good idea. Let's go with that.

In?
Waiting.

This sort of system seems like it would be interesting with a time travel/premonition style game. Since you know the results of your actions before they happen.

"Know results", more like having an idea how badly it might turn out. Since queue is used for all rolls, it means predicted future can change very fast very suddenly. Perfect example of how unstable future is when multiple people can predict it.

...And now I have an idea how to track time travel without paradoxes. Damn you.

Confusing time travel, count me in.
Not in this test, no.

You all step out of the master's throne room. Time to figure out how to give him the perfect gift nicely wrapped. To help with this task you have been granted a precognition (roll queue), but it is easily interfered by the others.

TheBiggerFish:
  Rolls: 5 4 4 1 1 4 6 6 6 1
Salsacookies:
  Rolls: 3 4 2 5 4 3 2 4 5 2
crazyabe:
  Rolls: 4 3 5 2 2 5 2 6 3 6
Whisperling:
  Rolls: 4 2 3 3 6 6 2 1 5 6
Elephant Parade:
  Rolls: 5 5 3 1 5 3 3 4 1 1

Waiters:
  Dustan Hache
  Nunzillor

Rules:
  • Roll for your action is picked from your roll queue, using the leftmost number first. When a roll is used in this way, you automatically gain another to keep length of queue same.
  • You can pick any roll at anytime, but will lose the dice permanently from your queue. So every free pick is one die less in your queue.
  • Supernatural and impossible feats can be performed only by picking die with 5. Next roll determines its quality.
  • More dice can be gained by splitting a die that's not 1 or 6.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2016, 11:33:39 am »

I go looking for a few idots to hire on as henchmen, Not much can go wrong with the plan I have...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2016, 11:47:24 am »

Talk about front-loaded.

Suddenly realize what the perfect gift is.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »

Talk about front-loaded.

Suddenly realize what the perfect gift is.
Just so you don't waste your 5:

Your master desires the world! Gift it to him nicely wrapped!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:34 pm »

Damn you.
You're welcome!
this has been another beautiful action brought to you by:
Einsteinian RouletteTM
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2016, 02:37:05 pm »

I somehow misread that, oops.

Pick first 5. Attain arcane power.

thank you for quality queue
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:39:56 pm by Elephant Parade »

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:41 pm »

I use a 5. Learn the true meaning of POWAH!!!
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2016, 04:51:56 pm »

Pick 5, think about how nice it would be if we everything I touched turned to gold. Then I could give Master a gilded world instead of such a normal, drab one!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2016, 04:54:11 pm »

Develop sorcerous powers.  Use a pick to get a 6 instead of the 1 on the effect roll.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2016, 04:34:02 am »

I go looking for a few idots to hire on as henchmen, Not much can go wrong with the plan I have...
4. You find a five man squad of soldiers waiting for orders. They are good soldiers, knowing their way around war, but cannot be compared to special forces.

I somehow misread that, oops.

Pick first 5. Attain arcane power.

thank you for quality queue
5. 5. You are bestowed with a great power (when compared to your previous state), it swirls around you, inside you, before settling on tip of your fingers. It crackles electricity for nice effect.

I use a 5. Learn the true meaning of POWAH!!!
5. Power is not friendship, love, authority, or any of that bullshit. None of that moves a boulder. However if you add energy on the boulder it moves. Ultimately, power is nothing more than having more force than what opposes you, or whatever that is applying the force. Power exist simply to change state of things, so as of itself, it has no true meaning. However since power brings change, you could argue that power is agent of chaos.
So best conclusion you can reach is that true meaning of power is chaos.

Pick 5, think about how nice it would be if we everything I touched turned to gold. Then I could give Master a gilded world instead of such a normal, drab one!
5. 4. It would be nice indeed. More precious metals for Master! Though value of gold is based on its rarity, so better not go overboard with Midas Touch. You test it on nearby statue and turn it into solid gold! Nice.
Then TheBiggerFish animates it accidentally and it attacks you!

Develop sorcerous powers.  Use a pick to get a 6 instead of the 1 on the effect roll.
5. 6. The power descends upon you, burning your skin with electricity, making you twitch, and accidentally release it on nearby golden statue. The statue deforms, grows bigger, grows extra pair of tentacles and emits low roar that makes your teeth vibrate. It jumps of its pedastal, shattering marble plates on the floor, and takes a step towards Whisperling raising its arms offensively.

TheBiggerFish:
  Rolls: 4 4 1 1 4 6 6 1
  POWER: Chaos Sorcerer
  MINION: Deformed tentacled golden statue of a man, hostile to everybody but its creator

Salsacookies:
  Rolls: 3 4 2 4 3 2 4 5 2

crazyabe:
  Rolls: 3 5 2 2 5 2 6 3 6 3
  MINION: 5 man squad of good soldiers

Whisperling:
  Rolls: 2 3 3 6 6 2 1 6 4
  POWER: Midas Touch

Elephant Parade:
  Rolls: 3 1 5 3 3 4 1 1 3
  POWER: Sorcerer

Waiters:
  Dustan Hache
  Nunzillor

Rules:
  • Roll for your action is picked from your roll queue, using the leftmost number first. When a roll is used in this way, you automatically gain another to keep length of queue same.
  • You can pick any roll at anytime, but will lose the dice permanently from your queue. So every free pick is one die less in your queue.
  • Supernatural and impossible feats can be performed only by picking die with 5. Next roll determines its quality.
  • More dice can be gained by splitting a die that's not 1 or 6.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33