Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: underground road  (Read 3314 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
underground road
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:33:47 am »

i embarked on a site with a brook and a road.
at first everything was covered in snow, so i waited until it thawed so i could see the road and plan my site, but there was no road.
so i began planning my fortress and thought it was a graphics glitch or bug, when certain areas didn't show the designations correctly.
as i dug down, i found a cavern, which explained the crazy designations and within that cave i found the road. :o

now my big questions are:
is this road travelled?
will dwarven merchants/travellers come along that road and blame me if it isnt safe?
will they come to my tavern?
should i clear the cavern and secure the road?
would sieges come along that road?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: underground road
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:47:21 am »

Very interesting.  Underground roads are commonly found in Adventure Mode, as a means of traversing the world map when you're exploring a Ruin or whatever.  This is the first I've ever heard of one appearing in Fortress Mode.  To answer your questions;

-Probably.  See if the road leads off the map
-Good question.  Could be that merchants and guests will only use a road you have constructed.  There are cases of merchants winding up in a Cavern and leaving that way.  Best test would be to deconstruct a part of the road and replace it with your own, see if you can get visitors coming in that way.
-So long as a visitor has pathing to your Tavern, they should be able to use it, regardless of how they arrived.
-Totally, even if just for bragging rights.  Any !SCIENCE! you can conduct is a bonus.
-Sieges are not dependent on roads, they will most likely still arrive at regular locations on the surface.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:36:28 pm »

the road goes through the southwestern embark tile. it enters from the western border and leaves to the south.
(while above that, the brook runs from the south to the north.)

there are dwarven settlements north from my pos. and human settlements to the south.

to clear the cave, i'd have to drain it first. (maybe my zistern will do its part in that.)

the new features of taverns, temples and libraries are completely new to me. (to be honest, i haven't even figured out how to setup a good clothes-production and my food/drink-economy is struggling.)

i'll report any new experience with that road ASAP.

seeing how my nonexistant military had a hard time with those langur-attacks, i'd rather not have a siege at the moment :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 06:11:24 pm »

I have embarked over these roads before; the caravans still come overland.  I have noticed that fort visitors like to LEAVE through the caverns, but I haven't seen any arriving that way.  Would be cool, though  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »

Caravans enter your map via above ground edges.
However, when they leave they may use any exits, including those in the caverns, provide they are near enough

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »

I have embarked over these roads before; the caravans still come overland.  I have noticed that fort visitors like to LEAVE through the caverns, but I haven't seen any arriving that way.  Would be cool, though  :)

Oi, I think I might've had a bit too much to drink eh Urist? I can't seem to find me way home. Oh, let's go ask that big spider over there for directions, seems friendly enuff.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 11:39:59 pm »

If the road runs up to the map edge, that means that FBs can spawn on the road, right?

If that is so, you can never really "secure" the road. At best you could set up a gatehouse kind of thing at the entrance to your fort, with a drawbridge and/or guards to keep the nasties out.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 06:43:35 am »

well, yes, it enters from the west and leaves to the south.
i could still constuct some sort of guarded halfwayhouse for any travellers there and connect it to my fortress.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 06:50:37 am »

Kinda unrelated. But I think having underground taverns along the underground rounds would be really neat. Maybe even shops too.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 05:22:32 pm »

so i have heard of these roads, but how to find them in the embark screen, and also, i have had caravans that i have harassed
(damn elves!!!!) exit thru my fortress and down into the caverns (stinking elves!!!!)
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:30 pm »

on the embarkscreen, an embark tile with a road looks like a black river.
on my occassion, the embarkscreen looked like a road with a river running along, then the road runs into the river and they become one.
so looking from the mountains (form south to north), the river runs, until it forks into a river and a road, which then both run into the next dwarven settlement.

EDIT:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tunnel

enough said - as i'm still a new Dorf, i'll rather abandon that site an start somewhere else.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:49:18 pm by Pvt. Pirate »