Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would be the most convenient release format for the LinuxDwarfPack?

Redhat RPM
Ubuntu SNAP
Debian DEB
Arch XZ
Docker
AppImage
Current tbz2
Other
Flatpak
Alpine

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r8 (with DFHack r8)  (Read 90605 times)

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r6 (with DFHack r6)
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2022, 02:42:40 am »

Hello,
foremost, thanks for this amazing pack!
Secondly, I want to share my experience with the pack on my Manjaro distro (Arch).
I was trying to launch the game through the big button "Play DwarfFortress" after the configuration of the terminal (kitty, in my case). Everything worked fine, test was successful, but pressing that button the terminal appeared and disappeared in a sec.
So I tried to launch from the terminal directly the "df" file:
Code: [Select]
❯ sudo bash /tmp/lnp-7k5ekr/df_47_05_linux/df
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I searched that lib and installed what was useful in my opinion:
❯ yay -Ss libsdl
aur/pipepanic 0.1.3-6 (+0 0.00)
    Pipe connecting game using libSDL
aur/sdlblocks 1-7 (+1 0.00)
    A Tetris remake written in C using libSDL
multilib/lib32-sdl_image 1.2.12-7 (28.5 KiB 62.4 KiB)
    A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces (32-bit)
community/sdl_image 1.2.12-7 (28.5 KiB 64.3 KiB)
    A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces

❯ yay -S sdl_image
❯ yay -S lib32-sdl_image

Still unlucky:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then:
❯ yay -Ss sdl_ttf
multilib/lib32-sdl_ttf 2.0.11-6 (17.7 KiB 42.4 KiB)
    A library that allows you to use TrueType fonts in your SDL applications (32-bit)
community/sdl_ttf 2.0.11-6 (16.2 KiB 41.3 KiB)
    A library that allows you to use TrueType fonts in your SDL applications
❯ yay -S sdl_ttf

It WORKS!
Sound devices available:
OpenAL Soft
Picking OpenAL Soft. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to connect PipeWire event context (errno: 112)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:999:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Initializing OpenAL failed, no sound will be played
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Resetting textures

I hope it will be helpful for some other Manjaro's users. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 02:44:55 am by Jostino »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2022, 09:49:01 am »

It's good to note that those dependencies are for Dwarf Fortress itself, not the LNP directly. It might be useful for you to add the specific commands you ran to install dependencies on the wiki https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/System_requirements#Other_Operating_Systems so it will be discoverable by other Manjaro users. Maybe add it as a subsection under the Arch heading.

Edit: fixed wiki link
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:38:50 am by myk »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2022, 10:56:24 pm »

It's good to note that those dependencies are for Dwarf Fortress itself, not the LNP directly. It might be useful for you to add the specific commands you ran to install dependencies on the wiki https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:System_requirements#Other_Operating_Systems so it will be discoverable by other Manjaro users. Maybe add it as a subsection under the Arch heading.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation is the page you want. 40d is for v0.28.181.40d
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2022, 11:45:27 pm »

If you use pacman to install the *.pkg.tar.bz2 package file available here or here, sdl_image and sdl_ttf are listed as dependencies thus will be installed automatically as needed.

(And running programs from /tmp is not advised.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2022, 04:38:58 am »

It's good to note that those dependencies are for Dwarf Fortress itself, not the LNP directly. It might be useful for you to add the specific commands you ran to install dependencies on the wiki https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:System_requirements#Other_Operating_Systems so it will be discoverable by other Manjaro users. Maybe add it as a subsection under the Arch heading.
I'll try to fullfill this information in the page lethosor mentioned. Thanks!

If you use pacman to install the *.pkg.tar.bz2 package file available here or here, sdl_image and sdl_ttf are listed as dependencies thus will be installed automatically as needed.

(And running programs from /tmp is not advised.)

Thanks!
I know is not advised, but is where the LNP launch the game and everything, so I was testing there everything. :)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2022, 11:42:46 am »

It's been a LONG time since I've used LDP.  I seem to remember there was a feature to unload the graphics pack from a save game. 

I was checking out some of the tilesets that came with LDP on a save game.  Then I just wanted to remove the current selected one to install an ASCII tileset, but I could not find the option to unload the graphics?  I seem to remember there was an option to do that?

I went ahead and just deleted the previous tileset files by hand in the save game folder.  Did that option get moved somewhere else?  Otherwise, it might be nice to have a "Default" option under Change Graphics, so that any current graphic pack can be unloaded from the save game to reset things back to the original ascii defaults.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:45:29 am by Clatch »

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2022, 04:29:20 am »

Hello,
foremost, thanks for this amazing pack!
Secondly, I want to share my experience with the pack on my Manjaro distro (Arch).
I was trying to launch the game through the big button "Play DwarfFortress" after the configuration of the terminal (kitty, in my case). Everything worked fine, test was successful, but pressing that button the terminal appeared and disappeared in a sec.
So I tried to launch from the terminal directly the "df" file:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I searched that lib and installed what was useful in my opinion:
❯ yay -Ss libsdl
aur/pipepanic 0.1.3-6 (+0 0.00)
    Pipe connecting game using libSDL
aur/sdlblocks 1-7 (+1 0.00)
    A Tetris remake written in C using libSDL
multilib/lib32-sdl_image 1.2.12-7 (28.5 KiB 62.4 KiB)
    A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces (32-bit)
community/sdl_image 1.2.12-7 (28.5 KiB 64.3 KiB)
    A simple library to load images of various formats as SDL surfaces

❯ yay -S sdl_image
❯ yay -S lib32-sdl_image

Still unlucky:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then:
❯ yay -Ss sdl_ttf
multilib/lib32-sdl_ttf 2.0.11-6 (17.7 KiB 42.4 KiB)
    A library that allows you to use TrueType fonts in your SDL applications (32-bit)
community/sdl_ttf 2.0.11-6 (16.2 KiB 41.3 KiB)
    A library that allows you to use TrueType fonts in your SDL applications
❯ yay -S sdl_ttf

It WORKS!
Sound devices available:
OpenAL Soft
Picking OpenAL Soft. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to connect PipeWire event context (errno: 112)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:999:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Initializing OpenAL failed, no sound will be played
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Resetting textures

I hope it will be helpful for some other Manjaro's users. :)

I realized today there is a package (by spaceslug) for Arch users who already packed everything (also dependencies), as AppImage, here.
It is also mentioned in the DF wiki with the link "other packages".
I recommend it.  8)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2022, 12:58:41 am »

Yeah, I was just browsing the AUR and found out DF was there. LMAO. Thank God for the AUR. Currently running the close-to-Arch EndeavourOS and appreciate the ease of install from the AUR package.

Spaceslug, if you're here, I salute you.

That said I was looking at the comment there on the AUR. What is an "Arch package" and how does it differ from others?
I'm only just now dipping my feet into Arch with EndeavourOS and wasn't aware Arch even had its own package format.

P.S. Why isn't there also an option for the pretty distro-agnostic flatpak?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:08:24 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
  • working on a mysterious construction
    • View Profile
    • LinuxDwarfPack - a ready-to-play pack for Linux
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2022, 10:04:48 am »

For those willing to beta-test the new DFHack-GUI, a nightly build of the pack with the latest DFHack commits is available here: 
https://github.com/McArcady/lnp-forge/actions?query=branch%3Adfhack-nightly++
I recommend testing with the Appimage version, which may be used without replacing your regular install in /opt/linux-dwarf-pack/.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:09:04 am by McArcady »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2022, 01:15:56 am »

Nice! The next nightly build will get clickable scrollbars for DFHack GUI text boxes!

Just a FYI for those who don't click through to all the links: note that the location of DFHack init files has changed from the root of the Dwarf Fortress folder to dfhack-config/init. If you have made custom changes to your DFHack init files, copy just your changes to dfhack-config/init. If you haven't made any custom changes to DFHack init files, you don't have to do anything.

Here are some things you can try:

• Hit backtick (the other symbol on the tilde key) to bring up the in-game DFHack interface. Try to use it as your only way to run DFHack commands.
  • start typing a command and then use Tab (or click on a list item) to autocomplete.
  • start typing a command that you have run before and hit Alt-S (or click on the "Search" text button) to bring up an entire commandline from your history. Try pressing Alt-S multiple times to cycle through matches in your history if the first one isn't the one you want.
  • Read the help text. Scroll down or up by left/right clicking on the help text area. You can also use Pgdn/Pgup or Ctrl-Down/Ctrl-Up for scrolling too.
  • After you type a command you're familiar with, look at the autocomplete list to see related commands. Click on one of them and explore something new!

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2022, 04:46:23 pm »

I should tell you that in order to support DFHack's work on usability and in-game configuration, the dfhack init files (dfhack*.init, onLoad*.init, onMapLoad*.init, and the others) have moved from the DF root directory to dfhack-config/init/.

the dfhack.history file (along with all other history files) will also be moving to dfhack-config/

For the pack, I think this means the following changes:
  • a pre-generated dfhack.init does not need to be distributed. a default (~empty) dfhack-config/init/dfhack.init file will be generated on first run, and all dfhack defaults are now loaded automatically. only custom changes made by the player need to go in the dfhack-config/init/dfhack.init file now.
  • any dfhack init files read/written by LNP need to move to the dfhack-config/init/ directory. This may require code changes in core/hacks.py since the file read/write locations will need to be updated.
  • the reference to <df>/dfhack.history in PyLNP.json will need to change to <df>/dfhack-config/dfhack.history

Edit: I filed a request for upstream LNP for the last two items: https://github.com/Pidgeot/python-lnp/issues/181
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:59:53 pm by myk »

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2022, 05:23:25 pm »

Edit: I filed a request for upstream LNP for the last two items: https://github.com/Pidgeot/python-lnp/issues/181
The dfhack-nightly pack has been updated with the new PythonLNP 0.14b:
https://github.com/McArcady/lnp-forge/actions/workflows/build.yml?query=branch%3Adfhack-nightly++
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:17:21 am by McArcady »

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2022, 05:25:30 pm »

Looking for Alpine Linux users to test the new LinuxDwarfPack with Alpine/APK format, available here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:24:37 pm by McArcady »

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2022, 02:09:01 pm »

Hey there folks! I just downloaded the LinuxDwarfPack but am currently having trouble getting it to start the DF game. When I open the pack through the terminal I get some of its output, and when I click on the "Play Dwarf Fortress!" button, it gives out this output:

"./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Any idea what I have to do? I'm using a Fedora 36 Workstation

EDIT: Also I don't know what I am supposed to put in the Configure Terminal input. I put a "$" on it and the test went through, but I feel I might not be doing what it is actually asking me to do.

EDIT2: I also tried to open the df file through the terminal and it gave out the same error
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:24:28 pm by Bjorn »

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2022, 04:49:36 pm »

Hey there folks! I just downloaded the LinuxDwarfPack but am currently having trouble getting it to start the DF game. When I open the pack through the terminal I get some of its output, and when I click on the "Play Dwarf Fortress!" button, it gives out this output:
"./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Did you use the .rpm or the .tar.gz package?
Install package 'gtk2' and try again:
$ sudo dnf install gtk2
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14