Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 133929 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #690 on: February 04, 2017, 09:19:28 pm »

Excellent updates, good to see things moving again.

Once you were finished, I was going to let Imic take another stab at it with the improved FPS, but what's done is done I guess x)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:56:33 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:20 am »

While it was inevitable, got -predictably- interrupted by RL. Have something as sign of life/to gnaw on!

Previous goblin attacks on the fortress of Bloodyhells were led by member of Scorpiondrummed, a dark pit. With 83 goblins, it is not particularly interesting attacker - hopefully, the future brings more interesting events.

However, not too interesting - there's a limited number of necromancers, after all. As to the why of that...

Who took it?

And where?

Rewarded as deserved, I suppose. But what's there?

Spoiler: Kinda empty now (click to show/hide)

Ah. Well, they tried.

What was not tried was sending a team out to recover Victory by Death. Although won by conquest, it might be arguably most important artifact of Bloodyhells.

Though with but 19 members, the fortress has plenty of troubles at home.

Birds are singing, armies are moving, the corpse of a fortress shudders and begins to move, as sixteen necromancers gesture at once.

Still, not all is as it had been. Some neighbours are gone, while others have just arrived.

How long till we meet them? And how many will survive the initial confusion, with the living members of fortress confronted by the unliving corpses of land?

Most of visible corpses are the still-moving shells of titans and beasts

Others are terrible creatures, once more let free

Now, before the battle could even begin, it's clear that the fortress has lost one of it's number.

Looks like 'Deus Asmoth', Declaimer necromancer left the fortress in a brief moment of sanity.

That, or commited suicide in a brief moment of sanity.

But battle will begin. There's no way to save the visiting marksdwarves

(Well, other than by )

Or the coyotes locked in with zombies in old depot

Ah well

If there's one consolidation, it is that current members of fortress seem safe -

- for the time being.

"I guess he really needed a drink" says Erib while scratching their head.

"But now - lets see if undead will go get the bait? Can't allow migrants into deathtrap, after all..."

"There they come."

"Well, that was dissapointing. One down, but the others seem less eager - and...Hold on, who let the Rutherer loose while we performed the ritual?"

The Jade Shrine - temple to Osram, female dwarf god of wealth

"What spooked it?"

"Ah. Well, I won't yield. What's more, these should be the last of local population!"

"Silverlock. Silverlock Pulleytrussed!"

"Hm, what is it, dear mayor?"

"Come here, take a break and give me a drink. I can't remember you ever giving me any, what keeps you so busy?"

"Well..."

"Pff! You'll be doing it forever on these plots! Say, let someone else handle them or let them fallow a bit. The crops already rotting, even with us all harvesting."

"Well, very well. Coming!"

"Ah, thanks."

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you I've forgotten how much I love booze!" says Shorast as she babbles to the non-necromancer in the fortress.

"....It was nothing" says Pulleytrussed, as he shies away from being hugged.

"So...How did it feel to go so long without booze?" asks Pulleytrussed, overcome by curiosity.

"Oh go give someone else a drink too!"

"Hey, Paddleroast, want a drink?"

"I notice you're still holding onto the goblet."

"Got to save fine wine."

"Drink up, dude. We're not running out so soon."

"Well, then, I guess don't mind me."

"...Well?"

"Aaah...Becoming a necromancer may have been bit of a miscalculation."

"Okay, Erib, take some too."

"Oh, thank you. But I must go and help defend the fortress."

"But...She took the goblet with her."

"Drink, Erib, you stubborn woman!"

"Ok done got to goooo!" and she shoots off with smile on her face.

Meanwhile

PS: Unretiring a fortress conveniently empties all containers.

Naturally, I took the chance to forbid all bins.

Also melted down all adamantine thread previously in hospital.

Oh, and FPS ranges from 40 to 80 depending on level of activity. Could be higher, but eh it's something. Currently in early winter.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2017, 04:21:57 am »

Huzzah! Successful reclaim of (fort and) FPS!

Wait, so you're saying the book containing the secrets of life and death was stolen by some pithy necromancer instead of perishing in a fire?

We might have to embark on page pattern and try to recover the tome, after events at Bloodyhells draws to a close of course.

Eh so the vampire managed to "break out" of its watery prison, but what happened to the web spitting savanna titan?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2017, 04:25:37 am »

Yep. I guess Marisa Kirisame is inspiration to DF scholars everywhere.

Vampire is free, but distracted. Meanwhile, Tunem Tailbasins the Earthen Wings still wanders the surface - with broken shell and left hand. I expected one of them to kill the other, but hasn't happened so far.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:30 pm »

Hmm, so it looks like that "plague on both your houses" got a bit more literal than I was expecting. Or something. How have things been in the years since I last bothered to look at Dwarf Fortress?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 11, 2017, 05:58:08 pm »

Hm, I guess that means I can avoid a double-post.

Fun note, though; In my test reclaim where I went straight for it I had humans siege the fortress. Not so with proper preparation time taken, however.

It's not like they can attack siege while fortress is running though; not enough population.

"Cut out that damnable noise! I can't sleep!"

"Heh. None of us can. But who knew cave floaters had it in them?"

"Well, whatever it is, it's noisy!"

"...I think it is farting."

"Still, this ain't good. Erib, think you can get rid of the corpses?"

Spriggans looks at ghost suddenly rising out of the wall.

"You look a little odd. Oh...Not a dwarf?"

"Moaaaan"

"Well, whatever."

Meanwhile on the surface

The white supermerged coral reefs are already dead.

"Or is it? Sounds like it's fighting that vampire visitor." comments Erib.

"Lot of clanging. Guess it has to be helmet. Hm, now I kinda want one too." remarks Shorast over the loud noise.

xthousands

xhundreds

"Hold on, what is that yellow thing it is holding?"

"I wonder, do Savanna trees look like that that it holds onto it?" wonders Shorast.

"Well, it doesn't seem very practical. Poisonous weapon, sure, but any-"

"-thing that goes outside is coated in that thing anyway."

"Well, our visitors too, I suppose?"

"Well, we have plenty of soap...I don't mind them using it. "

"Bah. A waste. I think I have an idea..."

"Don't we already have one of those...What do you call them, cleaning throughs?"

"Yes, but last one was wrecked by Titan."

"Also, this way it also cleans wagons and no levers to pull this time."

"Well, if you say so..."

Just need to open it up when surface is safe.

*a while later*

"Seems it works - look, booze falls down the stairs through the bridge."

"Waste of good booze."

"Eh, not like we were going to drink it, friend."

"Oi!"

° ° °

In the tavern

"So, what do you dream of, Silverlock?" asks Flame Paddleroast.

"Well, I'd love to create a masterwork someday. Or even better!"

"Even better...What's that supposed to be, world's biggest salad?"

"Ha, no! I'm not even a cook. " shakes the tavern keeper his head with a smile.

"But I've heard that active places such as this one can get something beyond a masterwork. An artifact!" proclaims the grower, greed in his eyes.

Paddleroast reflexively pats on Ekirgeshud to verify it's presence, then says. "I'm wielding one myself, actually...But this place needs to be a little lively for that."

"I'll make sure we'll get more people. Now, will you make me a burrow to make one in?"

"Why should I?" quirks Flame their eyebrow.

"I'm holding your booze hostage." bluffs Silverlock.

"You're too kind to do that." is the military man unmoved.

"Well, true. But help me out?"

"Alright. Where do you want it?

"Next to temple sounds good."

"Okay, anything else I should know?"

"Well, there's bunch of possible things one can ask...Make sure the stockpiles are filled, or we'll have trouble."

"How come we don't have way to fill minecarts with magma?"

"Ah, well, there was never the need...

"Well, there is a need now."

"There, a brief dip in magma to fill carts with it."

"What's that in the magma?"

"Statue of a dwarf, marking our territory. Beyond this point, no creature of magma may pass!"

"What's the topic?"

"You sure that keeps the magma sea creatures away?"

"I...think so."

"Hm. No leather....Wait, what's that..."

Not a full year, despite the time...But I took the save on Jan 29.

Not a full year; the characters don't really appeal to me; so yeah, didn't nearly put most of my free time on this, unlike previous runs.

On that note, for future overseers, Erib the necromechanager has potential as tsundere by personality traits.
Alas, I'm not good enough writer to handle that well.

For future, purely mechanically, taking control of the caverns to prevent undead lagging the game or estabilishing QSP-supported obsidian-cast in magma sea could be useful.
(Given bins are forbidden atm)
Though may kinda lack in-story reason for doing that. Maybe with election or new migrants?

As for the past things...I used DFhack's rename feature for my levers. But for the previous turn's notes, they are in completely wrong places, so you'd have to use Ctrl+M for gui/mechanisms.

Oh yeah, and I trapped an undead Titan in 3rd Depot Cyclotron with forbidden doors, while knocking a shell off it for moods. Not that one are going to happen soon without a way to get migrants or visitors inside :P

Made few adjusment to new hospital as well for werebeasts, but µ to narrate there.

Save!

PMed DoritioMaster as well.

DoritioMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker for the Lols
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 11, 2017, 07:35:21 pm »

Alright, claiming save now, so I'll have until until the new moon rises on Feb 25th. I see no sign of the Battlefailed curse, and Fleeting Frames has done a wonderful job at fixing up the fps.

We're still on 42.06 correct?

I'm going to attempt to be slighltly more narrative than we have been, since that's the part I find fun. Also, I haven't played in a year, so let the fun begin!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 11, 2017, 07:42:08 pm »

Yup, still on 42.06. Might be harder to find a LNP pack for it now, but dfhack's github repo still hosts appropriate files (also updated mine, which was previously alpha ver.)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »

I want a other turn, please.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »

All right, you're after Doritio. Can't really blame anyone for passing their turn with the FPS as bad as it was. :P
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

DoritioMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker for the Lols
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:00 am »

Quick update. I thought I'd be done by now (halfway through the year). FPS is dropping off quick, the only thing that I can see has changed is the number of undead and dead has skyrocketed into 250s/700s. While I got straight 100s through Granite, I've dropped into the 25s. We'll see how it keeps going.

We did get migrants (though there was some complications with the Titan) so that is fixed. Current dwarf count is up to 19-20, depending on if I can get a fisherguy inside.

I'm working on taming the surface, the caverns might be a bit too messy - I'll let someone who's a DF regular tackle them. Or maybe die trying.

Otherwise, we're getting ghosts galore. Slabbing is a full time industry now.

Will try to finish the year by tonight, and then have the writeup and save up later this week.

Hang in there, Bloodyhells is still going forwards, bloody and hellish as ever!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:00 pm »

Yeah, the undeadsplosion in caverns is likely what's behind your current problem, barring water or excavation-related troubles. There's at least some unrevealed parts of caverns too, iirc, where they will also multiply. Though initial straight 100s is encouraging.

Problem with taming the surface is that the animal groups that arrive on map are already dead (unlike in caverns, you can get live groups running into undead). Even when trying it's going to take years to depopulate the entire region, and there are troublesome things like weasels and titans and zombie ogres to mess with that. Good luck with that.

DoritioMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker for the Lols
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:40 am »

Save here!
https://mega.nz/#!MB5XGSxT!j9ZHNdXG23-0aY7zm-6ahwAc8f0SnSL0LwKFYKwnQ3k

I am a bit behind, played through the last 4 months at 5fps, with 700+ revealed undead. Not sure if there's any way other than another reclaim to get rid of them.

Narrative post will be coming tomorrow, but in short the news is as listed

• opened 2 more overcomplicated entrances, and 2 more almost ready if they're needed.
  • reclaimed old fortress, though miasma, a single mangled zombie, and the general mess are all slight problems
  • Tried to deal with general mess upstairs, next overseer might want to mass forbid everything
  • Population is now 25!
  • Didn't manage to get any traders in (I've learned they are fussy about hallway width) but did get the liaison in safely
  • slabbed 100 more dwarves
  • dumped 50+ corpses
  • reordered the military, possibly causing a small dwarf nudity party
  • accidentally turned bins and bags back on I think? It stopped the dwarf nudity party though.
  • Thanks to Fleet's clever shell gathering, had a successful strange mood - though we need more shells
  • Tried and failed to trap the Titan, but he's still safely outside, along with the flying FB. Trapped FB is dead - possible source for more shells?

Sorry for being a bit on the late side. I looked into the ASCII, and the ASCII looked back into me!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »

No problem Doritio. See, the undeadsplosion also happened in the test embark (though it was a tribe of unruly beastmen that set it off there), so I knew this would happen eventually if we sealed off the caverns like a bunch of pansies.

Hmm, lemme take another look at the save before we move on.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

And we're back to square one, same problem as at the end of Ghills' turn. FPS is in the single digits and exterminating all the undead does very little to fix it. Going to put the fortress on hold while I see if we can't figure out what's causing it before we do the reclaimy thing again.

Edit: Seems to have something to do with whatever our dwarves are doing, killing all but a lone sleeping dwarf improves FPS over 400%.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:40:07 pm by Spish »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52