Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 85519 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 06:03:47 pm »

Using x and y variances and/or world painter to generate more disparate biomes and putting minimum good/evil in small subregions to cover them entirely should work, since that restriction is per biome - for civilizations, 25+ region tile size areas will be counted as "medium size", and thus will never be evil/good, giving place to spawn unless you also increased medium biome evil/good counts or there just isn't any medium areas they can spawn on.

For dwarves, elevation between 300 and 400 has large range for x/y variance, so not putting it sky high should guarantee some ranges. Alternatively, clusters of 25 volcanoes should work for guaranteed 25-tile mountain.

For humans, it is more difficult, but grasslands and savannas are comparatively insensitive to drainage compared to desert-wastelands-badlands between 0-9 rainfall, though those biomes tend to have scarce or no vegetation.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »

Would really like a 129x129 world with at least one site with clay/kaolinite and relatively easy-to-access magma that's mostly flat.  I'd like it to support all the races if possible.  Wood is appreciated but not absolutely necessary
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »

I'd love to be able to reliably generate a world with lots of little good and evil regions, such that a 4x4 embark can have good and evil plants and animals.  The world should still have enough neutral regions to allow for humans and dwarves (obviously).
Reliably is going to be tricky, for the reasons that Fleeting Frames mentioned, but here's one that matches.
Whether or not this worldgen works again (without these seeds) depends on whether or not a medium sized not-good/not-evil human friendly area is created in the Northeast corner.  That permits the human civ to spawn.
Remarkably, even though there's only 4 elves remaining, elves are neighbors at embark as well. Elves also appear to ignore savagery when settling a good biome, which was yet another learning step on this grand voyage of discovery. :P
I've provided three embarks, because they each have their pro's and con's.  One has joyous wilds, terrifying and untamed wilds in a 3x3.  One has pretty much all dead trees in the evil portion of the embark, sandwiched between two joyous wilds, while the last is pretty much half and half good/evil, with just a bit of dead ground/trees in the terrifying part.
The three embarks are steel friendly, but I skipped including prospects, as you didn't seem concerned about that.  On one of these, I think the all dead trees one, three Ogre Corpses were spawned at embark time, and promptly wiped out my starting seven.  So, beware!
Each of these embark locations has at least joyous wilds adjacent to terrifying.
And to re-iterate, if you don't care about non-dwarven races?  This is trivially easy to do reliably.
Spoiler: jcnorris00_1 (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:29 am »

I believe elves ignore savagery because they're naturally non hostile with wildlife. I think I've seen something like that somewhere.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 03:25:42 am »

Yeah, I noticed that few days ago as well when having fun doing spiraling worlds (mentioned in trivial findings). For preventing expansion, however, they do not like cold temperatures (4), which created a rather amusingly stark border that can still provide a forest of sorts.

For avoiding dying at embark, better use the F# keys to embark as far away from them as possible so you can have the 20 tiles space to dig in without panicking.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 06:34:26 am »

... So I can't "advanced worldgen". If it's possible could somebody gen a world with an necro tower next to the glacier, which is in an evil biome, no aquifer and no boogeyman? If its not possible, could you just create a world that's a challenge? ...
This seems to match, but there's lots of other options.  And ' a world that's a challenge ' means different things to different people.  I can make a world that kills you 5 seconds after embark, but that's not really that fun. :)
In any case, this world has two towers, terrifying glacier, husk-ifying clouds, and if you use the embark location below, you'll have the undead on your doorstep the first day of Autumn.
There is an aquifer below the non-glacier portion of the embark, trivial to avoid or utilize.  It's also a steel friendly embark.
If you don't want the convenience of the non-frozen portion, just move the embark location one tile east.
The Everlasting Lashes civ is at war with the goblins, if you want that. (embark as them, instead of the other one)
features: chalk/limonite/coal/hemp/glumprongs.
Spoiler: snowdwarf1 (click to show/hide)
Ok thanks, so how do I do it now other than setting everything by hand?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 07:02:38 am »

@snow_dwarf: Open .\init\world_gen.txt (where '.' is the directory DF is located in) in e.g. notepad, copy vjek's settings and paste them at the end of that file and save the file. Start DF and select Design New World with Advanced Parameter, and step down the list to the right to the SNOWDWARF1 entry and hit <ENTER>.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:37:21 am »

Hello folks !

I'm looking for a canyon embark. Canyon should be deep with a wide river in it. The bigger the cliffs, and the wider the river, the better. And i would like to have all races as neighbors so i can play around with the tavern/visitors features.

Bonus point for : a volcano. So i know generating a canyon and a volcano on the same map is pretty hard, but if by any chance ...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:31 am »

Hello folks !

I'm looking for a canyon embark. Canyon should be deep with a wide river in it. The bigger the cliffs, and the wider the river, the better. And i would like to have all races as neighbors so i can play around with the tavern/visitors features.

Bonus point for : a volcano. So i know generating a canyon and a volcano on the same map is pretty hard, but if by any chance ...
This is my river-canyons PSV worldgen from previous versions, with slight adjustments, but it works in 43.03 as expected.  You should be able to find something that's appropriate.
If you don't want goblins, reduce demons to zero.
It may be possible to generate larger rivers and therefore larger river canyons with a different mountain vs. non-mountain elevation layout, or even fine tuning the existing elevation drops.  However, this seemed to do the trick most of the time.
Spoiler: river-canyons (click to show/hide)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 10:26:49 am »

Thanks a lot!  I feel a need to grow sunberries and sliver barbs side by side, while fighting off unicorn husks.

I'd love to be able to reliably generate a world with lots of little good and evil regions, such that a 4x4 embark can have good and evil plants and animals.  The world should still have enough neutral regions to allow for humans and dwarves (obviously).
Reliably is going to be tricky, for the reasons that Fleeting Frames mentioned, but here's one that matches.
Whether or not this worldgen works again (without these seeds) depends on whether or not a medium sized not-good/not-evil human friendly area is created in the Northeast corner.  That permits the human civ to spawn.
Remarkably, even though there's only 4 elves remaining, elves are neighbors at embark as well. Elves also appear to ignore savagery when settling a good biome, which was yet another learning step on this grand voyage of discovery. :P
I've provided three embarks, because they each have their pro's and con's.  One has joyous wilds, terrifying and untamed wilds in a 3x3.  One has pretty much all dead trees in the evil portion of the embark, sandwiched between two joyous wilds, while the last is pretty much half and half good/evil, with just a bit of dead ground/trees in the terrifying part.
The three embarks are steel friendly, but I skipped including prospects, as you didn't seem concerned about that.  On one of these, I think the all dead trees one, three Ogre Corpses were spawned at embark time, and promptly wiped out my starting seven.  So, beware!
Each of these embark locations has at least joyous wilds adjacent to terrifying.
And to re-iterate, if you don't care about non-dwarven races?  This is trivially easy to do reliably.
Spoiler: jcnorris00_1 (click to show/hide)
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 11:50:05 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 04:03:23 am »

Referring to this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158949.0 does anyone know of a way to guide world generation to create large numbers of animal people visitors (and possibly even increase the likelihood of the appearance of particular races)?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:47 am »

Referring to this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158949.0 does anyone know of a way to guide world generation to create large numbers of animal people visitors (and possibly even increase the likelihood of the appearance of particular races)?
I've never had a visitor to any fort that wasn't an elf, dwarf, or human, personally.
However, I can offer this, if it's of any value..  the animal-people tend to be in the largest numbers in elven forest retreats.
When I embark on a new location, if I designate a 20x20 tavern area on the surface, I tend to get visitors immediately, if there are going to be any.
For example, in a world with:
   1282 Dwarves
   875 Humans
   1134 Elves
and
   56 red panda men
   45 worm men
   26 beetle men
   24 gray squirrel men
   4 bluejay men

I saw only human and dwarf visitors immediately.  So I'm not sure what conditions are required to encourage or get elven visitors.  I've embarked right next to, or in between, two elven settlements ( a forest retreat and an outpost) and the results are the same as in the middle of a desert many regions/tiles away.  It seems like whatever visitors are going to arrive are pulled from the same pool regardless of embark location?  At least, in a pocket world.

EDIT:
Ok, so, a coyote man scholar showed up.  As fortune would have it, there's only one specified coyote man in any civ in this particular world, and that's from a dwarven fortress.  So, that's my first animal people visitor, and it came from another fortress, not an elven forest retreat.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:45:10 am by vjek »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 01:12:31 pm »

What settings control the incidence of Good/Evil and how to increase savagery?  I can't seem to get it to place savagery with minimum level set above 20...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 03:42:08 pm »

Good & Evil :
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:small:medium:large]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:small:medium:large]
where the size refers to the size of biome region tiles that will be turned good/evil (1-24/25-99/100+). It's a guideline more than rejection criteria, though, and note that some good/evil creatures have biome restrictions.

For evil, also note the settings EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER, EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER, REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER (encompasses both the first 2 as well as land's reanimation).

Savagery...Are you getting rejections due inability to place civilizations? They won't spawn in highly savage areas. Mesh size doesn't work well with this, as civilizations will get bottled up near each other.

You can try using 3200 X and Y variance with 100 maximum/Calm* minimum. Alternatively, just use Pre-Set Value interface to set most of the world to 100 savagery with some 0 savagery spots for civilizations.

*The closer you put it to savage areas the more likely you're going to run into rejections with small spawning areas.

(You probably know it, JSYK Savagery and evil/good are completely different things.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27