Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 85514 times)

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »

What settings should I go for lots of iron? Volcanism, drainage?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »

Low volcanism (igneous extrusive has only 1 iron type, while sedimentary layers have 3, including large magnetite clusters). Drainage, dunno about that.

All iron is found in near-surface layers, so if you don't have any soil - in mountainous or high area - you're more likely to find it.

Also, iron occurs as veins and large clusters so you'll likely want at least some of those.

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2017, 02:34:05 pm »

In terms of PerfectWorld, which volcanism values result in sedimentary layers?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2017, 05:53:20 pm »

While I haven't used perfectworld for months, the pre-set values it gives are vanilla feature I use extensively. (With a spreadsheet, granted.)

I've seen sedimentary layers as high as 89 pre-set volcanism, but if you want to be sure you can remove/override perfect world's volcanism data by removing [PS_VL:nr:nr:nr... ... :nr] lines at the bottom of the worldgen text it generates /setting max volcanism to low value. Or replace it with [PS_VL:1:2:3 ... :1], if you don't want to touch min and max.

(Not sure that 0 min/max volcanism won't cause more homogeneous world, though. I'd expect it to do, like it does with other more obvious variables.)

Though note that volcanoes only happen on squares of 100 volcanism and that min volcano settings above 0 will give you infinite rejections if world doesn't have such a thing possible. You can have 100 next to 0 if you pre-set the PS_VL values to have 0 and 100 adjacent, though.

I'm personally fond of checkerboard pattern of 50, 0 and 99, with 100s reserved for where I want a volcano.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:56:59 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2017, 02:54:03 am »

In order for DF to generate lots of iron you also want to set the mineral scarcity value to a small number. An alternative to generating worlds and hoping for luck is to use a DFHack script to manipulate the geo biome of the intended embark to ensure it includes an iron ore.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »

Having trouble getting edge oceans and a sense of continents. I've been having trouble since Monday, and I am not about to give up now lol
I've tried PerfectWorld and it did to an extent help. Except that I'd be spending extra time tweaking a map possibly for a few hours, and then end up genning something I'm unsatisfied with, and having to either keep genning the same seed, or starting all over again.

Here is my current unmodified set. We're able to get about 1/200 approximate chance of a world getting enough edge oceans to move onto the next phase of generation. Shortly after rivers are done being placed we get our rejection. A couple of edit cycles back I was able to get it all the way up to the end of mineral generation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking about setting the rivers final down a bit lower, but otherwise any stability help is appreciated.
I'm looking for:

- Continents of loose form
- Hot Pole and Cold Pole
- A veritable mix of biomes in Hot to Temperate ranges (mostly looking for Deserts, Swamps, and High Savagery sites)
- A fair bit of rivers, minerals, and your basic "what a fort thrives on" stuff like flux and soil/sand
- Don't worry about civ placements for the most part. I've lightly nerfed Goblins and I've buffed Kobolds in my raws.

any help still appreciated
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:19 pm »

Didn't you get advised to not use ocean edges with perfectworld? Thought that solved it.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 05, 2017, 05:37:28 pm »

Question: Is there any way to adjust the good/evil regions during world gen? I'm trying to make a world with all nine possible savagery/alignment combinations and I'd like to be able to set that, rather than manually rejecting worlds that fail to meet my criteria.

Sorry if this post looks familiar, I accidentally posted to the 0.40.24 thread before I found this one.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 05, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »

Have a look here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_world_generation#Desired_Good.2FEvil_Square_Counts  As long as you don't go overboard adjusting that is all that should be required.   :)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 05, 2017, 06:10:48 pm »

I have been fiddling with that; so far it hasn't helped a whole lot. It increases the amount of good and evil on the map, but doesn't help my place it. I'll keep fiddling with it, though, thanks.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2017, 06:39:05 pm »

Okay.  Might have misunderstood your question a little... but if you still want random world generation in my experience adjusting the small counts for good/evil is most likely to give you more different regions (that will hopefully cover all variations...).

Or assuming you are using DFHack you could try Patrik's script http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.0.  I have no experience with it but Patrik is very likely to help if you have questions/problems. 

I also thought of World Painter, see links from above post, but I'm not sure it supports evilness?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »

Ah, the Biome Manipulator might help. Not necessarily during generation, but it's a start. Thanks!
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2017, 12:10:13 am »

Yeah. For during-generation adjustment, what I do is use pre-set values for savagery and biome determination and make all middle sized regions evil and large good or vice-versa.

If you want two equally-sized regions with opposing evilness in worldgen, you're probably going to need to rely on RNG; though note that adjacent hilly and flat plains are placed in separate regions (so 80 flat + 80 hilly plains are two medium regions rather than 1 large).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:11 am »

Evilness is not a PSV supported parameter, unfortunately, so the control you have is through the good and evil square counts, and they are not particularly useful for getting a specific result unless you also use a PSV defined world with carefully tuned region sizes.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2017, 01:23:13 am »

I found an embark site that I thought is pretty cool. It is a perfectly flat, scorchingly hot jungle with a river and hippos. It holds the highest potential for steel production that I have ever seen: seven layers full of dolomite and large veins of magnetite, with marble deeper down. Prospect says there is nearly 83.000 magnetite in this embark and more than enough flux to turn all of it into bars of steel.

All races are present.

It also has a two layer aquifer, that might turn off some people. But not me. I am burning with greed.  :D

If anyone is interested and willing to explain how I can share the map, I will.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27