Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: $ cd ~/Forums && vim linux-thread # GNU/Linux thread  (Read 2076 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
$ cd ~/Forums && vim linux-thread # GNU/Linux thread
« on: July 01, 2016, 06:26:42 pm »

Scumbag Maks, uses Linux and GNU/Linux interchangeably in the same line.
(I'm not gonna kill anyone for using one or the other, unless there's an explicit need to distinguish the kernel apart from the userland stuff.

Well, going off some of the posts around the place (in particular, the DF 0.43.04 release thread, what with 64-bit test builds for Linux (and OS X)-related shenanigans), there's at least some people here using the most glorious operating system, and I'm not talking merely about Red Star OS.
Anything from technical questions to news about software and distributions to the classic age-old "Vim vs Emacs" wars to fancy desktop setups, that has to do with Linux (however you wish to interpret that) goes here.

Just don't create too much fire, but I'm pretty sure that goes without saying.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: $ cd ~/Forums && vim linux-thread # GNU/Linux thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »

Code: [Select]
[thefunk@archenstein .df]$ uname -a
Linux archenstein 4.5.7-1-ck #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 8 08:32:33 EDT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 05:56:52 pm »

(I was hoping this would be less dead than this but okay...)

So as the thread title may or may not suggest, I like Vim.
More specifically, vi and Vim-like keybindings.

But the more I use Emacs (or more specifically, Spacemacs, even though it's still Emacs at the end of the day), the more I realize how much better and cooler it is at everything except the Emacs-based keybindings and load times.

I'm so confused at so many things but I also love it.
(Then again, I realize that Emacs is just a Lisp dialect interpreter that happens to provide text-editing functions out of the box while Vim is "just" a text editor, but still.
evil-mode is my lord and savior though.)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »

Finally got around to putting alias "rm"="rm -i" in my .bashrc. I learned that lesson the hard way about a month ago, and I'm kind of surprised I waited until now to fix the problem.

re: Vim vs emacs
I swear by Vim and always have. I much prefer the modal editing style to modeless juggling of modifier keys.

However, after reading SICP I've fallen in love with Lisp. I know that if I want to mess around with Lisp, emacs is the way to go. Is there any add-on to emacs that adds vi-style modal editing? Also, is there any way to run emacs without the silly GUI?

here have some bewildering fanart:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:56:52 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »

Finally got around to putting alias "rm"="rm -i" in my .bashrc. I learned that lesson the hard way about a month ago, and I'm kind of surprised I waited until now to fix the problem.

You know, even in Windows I tend to use Shift+Delete when I want to get rid of a file. I guess that's why I do daily backups to my NAS...

I recently switched to Linux for my (rather crappy) laptop, and it's like night and day. Where the laptop once was unbearably slow with Win 8/10 it now does quite well with Mint (Cinnamon).

The only thing I miss is the way the Windows taskbar stacks icons for running programs and combines launchers with running app icons. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a Linux DE that does the same thing...

That and there are no Linux text editors with all the features Notepad++ has. Some of the more esoteric stuff like Alt+LMB column selection just doesn't seem to appear in other editors, and as a programmer my editor is my life (well, not quite).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:06:38 pm »

That and there are no Linux text editors with all the features Notepad++ has. Some of the more esoteric stuff like Alt+LMB column selection just doesn't seem to appear in other editors, and as a programmer my editor is my life (well, not quite).
I can assure you with 100% confidence that if either vim or emacs lacks any feature that any editor as popular as notepad++ has, someone has written a patch that adds it in. That's just how Linux culture works. Welcome to the club!

Regarding your specific case, it looks like it would be easy to do in vim with a repeated macro. There are probably a million other ways to do it as well that I couldn't tell you; I'm not exactly the most powerful vim wizard on the planet.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:02:22 pm »

re: Vim vs emacs
I swear by Vim and always have. I much prefer the modal editing style to modeless juggling of modifier keys.

However, after reading SICP I've fallen in love with Lisp. I know that if I want to mess around with Lisp, emacs is the way to go. Is there any add-on to emacs that adds vi-style modal editing? Also, is there any way to run emacs without the silly GUI?

here have some bewildering fanart:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's Evil aka extensible vi layer.
There's also Spacemacs which offers the best of both worlds for Vim and Emacs users (and has nice guides for those coming over from Vim; it's not a separate package in most distros though, as with almost all Emacs stuff.).
It's damn pretty too.

On another note:

I spent the whole day in a Ubuntu Live CD trying to install Arch (Void is a great distro that I genuinely wish I could use more but it's just too under supported) and then Gentoo.
It works, but being stuck with no internet is hella unfun, and it's the exact same problem I've had last time with it, so I'm sadly gonna have to go back to Arch instead of being a hipster among hipsters. >~>
(I forgot I have an Architect CD. My chrooted installation of Arch refused to work because of nondescript Grub shenanigans.)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »

Void doesn't play nicely with either of them for some reason though, and I'm not sure why all of sudden i3 is called LG3D in the output...
Tiling window managers are unrecognized by Java, and Java GUIs won't load in them.  Therefore it is common for them to pretend to be a different manager, because except for Java very few applications know or care.  LG3D is the wmname of a failed Java-based desktop environment made by Sun, so it's usually used as the fake for the sake of irony.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:05:09 pm by Draxis »

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:39:34 pm »

Evil aka extensible vi layer.
Looked up a demo video of it and it looks pretty awesome! I think I might give it a try!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 09:54:55 am »

Since emacs was mentioned, I'll just leave this here.

I don't use plain vim much anymore aside from tiny modifications or working via ssh. Every IDE I use that supports it is set to use vim keybinds, though.

Whoops, thought this was a more recent thread. Sorry for a bit of necromancy.