Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297670 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6360 on: October 10, 2016, 12:47:45 am »

echo chamber or not (not that I would have made the accusation myself)

Meanwhile...

I mean christ, I almost spit my tea out at the bit where you started talking about an echo chamber. Have you even read the last fifty pages?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: October 10, 2016, 12:49:05 am »

... y'know, when you put it that way, the trump support makes more sense >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: October 10, 2016, 12:51:15 am »

Gentlemen, please. This is all a big misunderstanding. We all know that CTR first and foremost stands for Crash Team Racing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: October 10, 2016, 12:54:57 am »

Bay12 is definitely left-leaning, but I think the only thing we truly echo chamber on is LGBTQ and feminist topics.  You'll get punted right out for being on the wrong side of that one.  Any other topic, you can get a fair say in, so long as you actually have something of substance to say.  You'll likely find your fiercer opponents, but you'll find that absolutely anywhere.  That anyone is present who bothers to have a strong, outspoken opinion against yours does not make an echo-chamber.

On the topic of Trump, specifically, the problem is there's just no substance there.  The only three angles of support I've seen for him are:
1.  Hardcore right-wingers who don't really even care who's running for them.  They'd vote for the devil before ever voting for any Democrat or liberal party.
2.  Bigoted culture warriors who don't care how incompetent he is or ugly his character - they're just enjoying the rallying cry.
3.  Those who are disgusted by both, but more so by Hillary for whatever reasons.

If you have another one, I'd like to hear it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:07 am »

SG: I'd add "people for whom getting the conservative on the supreme court trump single other issue". I've been discussing with a fervent Catholic who agrees that Trump sucks balls, but he's willing to hold is nose in order to get conservative justices on the Court that would be anti-abortion.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:09:31 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: October 10, 2016, 01:03:30 am »

SG: I'd had "people for whom getting the conservative on the supreme court go above every single other issue". I've been discussing with a fervent Catholics who agree that Trump sucks balls, but he's willing to hold is nose in order to get conservative justice on the Court that would be anti-abortion.

Yeah, this makes sense.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: October 10, 2016, 01:19:29 am »

SG: I'd had "people for whom getting the conservative on the supreme court go above every single other issue". I've been discussing with a fervent Catholics who agree that Trump sucks balls, but he's willing to hold is nose in order to get conservative justice on the Court that would be anti-abortion.

Yeah, this makes sense.
There's also "the active desire to ruin the US government aka watch the world burn", which actually was my motivation for a while, but Trump is just too slimy even for that. Clinton's gonna kill us all, but at least she can basically operate.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: October 10, 2016, 01:41:40 am »

... yeah, the problem for trump is that the trump people are already trumping. What these things are trying to do are draw in the folks that are undecided (or, in the case of trump, draw back the conservatives his latest shit has been running off), and they're notably more sensitive to stuff like those lowest standards. Trump needed a lot of stuff he didn't provide to win those folks over, at least so far as the debate goes. Had some sound bites that will play well with some of his core, but they're already voting for him and on everything else he didn't exactly do well. Better than the first debate, maybe, but that's not exactly a high bar to pass.

Though damn. Noticed it meandering around elsewhere, though I've no clue who the vogel guy is.
Looking for precedent for Trump's promise to put Hillary in jail if he wins? Yanukovych (a past @PaulManafort client) did it to Tymoshenko.
Ask not!
Ask!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: October 10, 2016, 01:42:27 am »

Yeah, this makes sense.
There's also "the active desire to ruin the US government aka watch the world burn", which actually was my motivation for a while, but Trump is just too slimy even for that. Clinton's gonna kill us all, but at least she can basically operate.
I'd feel a lot safer with my last few months in the military being under Clinton command than Trump, even though I suspect (through inference from American History, which is about as objective as one can get on a subject as throny and fluid as politics) that both of them will end up getting us into major wars if elected.

The major difference is that I believe Hillary has a better capability to fight a major war, whereas Trump does not. Hillary, for all her crazed faces, hawkish bloodlust, and robotic, possibly luciferian demeanor, has a cool and collected head on her shoulders and bothers to think through "What do I do if I lose?", whereas Trump appears to lack basically any understanding of any phrase that would imply his own loss, or is cock-blocked by his own F/SN!Gilgamesh-sized ego.

Remember, Trump said that he would be able to make Mexico pay for that ridiculous wall. Mexico, who is under literally no obligation whatsoever to actually do that. That would be like if Quagmire told Peter Griffin that Peter would be paying for Quagmire's Chlamydia Treatment, because Peter was the one who drove the car that took him to the whorehouse he caught it at. Except instead of getting a Family Guy Judge, who might actually make that case happen, they instead had Judge Dredd, and prostitution was highly illegal.

As much as the Oompaloompa is far more entertaining than T-1000, he doesn't seem to have a basic grasp of how politics actually works. He knows memetics, and he knows business, but those two things are very, very different from Politics and Diplomacy.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: October 10, 2016, 01:43:44 am »

Quote from: Trump
I could shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters
Apparently shooting people is ok, but talking about groping pussies is not. Well, actually I buy that for the President. A president not prepared to shoot a bunch of people might be hampered in his duties, whereas too much pussy-groping could sidetrack things.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: October 10, 2016, 01:45:04 am »

... no?

And karne, it's becoming increasingly questionable that the guy actually knows business, ha... and it didn't start out on the strongest grounds to begin with.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: October 10, 2016, 01:46:18 am »

In fairness, Trump said he could shoot someone without losing voters, but he wanted to grope women.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: October 10, 2016, 01:46:30 am »

... no?

And karne, it's becoming increasingly questionable that the guy actually knows business, ha... and it didn't start out on the strongest grounds to begin with.
I heard he managed to make a small loan of a million dollars into one of the biggest name-brands of all time, so... :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: October 10, 2016, 01:49:58 am »

More like an inheritance at least ten times that (and I'm pretty sure that's my memory significantly lowballing it), and still needed his father's connections and repeated bailing out over the years :V
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: October 10, 2016, 01:51:45 am »

Let us not forget that one of Trump's claims to fame until this year was putting a bank's investment in him so far in the hole they had to give him a seat on the board to survive when he threatened to default.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1249