Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Platinum weapons  (Read 4337 times)

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Platinum weapons
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:20:31 am »

Hi,

I have plenty of platinum bars, but in metalsmith's forge I do not have an option to build platinum weapon. Am I doing anything wrong?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:51:40 am »

Platinum is not eligible to be used for weapons by default, to construct platinum weapons you would have to go to your savegames RAWS and add the tags necessary for weapon forging to platinum.

Specifically in data; save; regionX; raw; objects, with a text editor you would modify the file inorganic_metal, adding the tag [ITEMS_WEAPON] to the platinum entry, if you wanted to be able to make all items from it you would require these additional tags: [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL].  If you also add these changes to DFs main raws, platinum weapon forging will become available from the start for any newly generated worlds.

Otherwise you need a moody dwarf who has a preference for blunt weapons and weaponsmith as their highest moodable skill, then pray to the gods of the RNG (or savescum for desired result) that he makes a warhammer or mace out of your platinum.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:00:06 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:09:11 am »

Platinum is not eligible to be used for weapons by default, to construct platinum weapons you would have to go to your savegames RAWS and add the tags necessary for weapon forging to platinum.

Thank you for the quick answer. As I prefer unmoded game so I will keep that bars to melt with another metal.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 03:20:39 am »

Platinum also has no alloys, for best use you should consider training up a metalsmith and making high-quality furniture from your stock of bars, placed in a nobles room or in a public area they will generate positive thoughts for your dwarves.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 04:22:48 am »

You can get platinum weapons in vanilla, but you need to be very lucky. Have a weaponsmith Dwarf get a strange mood and he may use platinum to build a weapon.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 04:25:09 am »

Only luckiness in that is getting some platnium. Afterwards, just restrict them to it when they have mood.

Also, iirc dwarves with preference for a thing they can make when mooding will always make that thing. So if they like hammers/maces/crossbows, they'll always make one.