Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: You're a Homeless Mutant in a Cyberpunk Metropolis! SG  (Read 8061 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You're a Homeless Mutant in a Cyberpunk Metropolis! SG
« on: October 20, 2016, 07:50:26 pm »

You're a homeless eighteen year old living in the Synith Metro slums, and an orphan to boot. That would all be bad enough, but you just so happen to be a Mutant. A Mutant, mutie, gene-freak, subhuman, whatever the hell you call yourself. You're different, born with a few twists in the DNA Helix, a walking talking insult to Mother Nature. Worthless scum, a drain on society, an abomination in the eyes of God, you could go on for days. Vigilante gangs target people like you with impunity, basic Human rights don't apply, people are revolted when they know the truth about you, you're used to it.

You were lucky enough to be born with the Gene TUWZ7426, more commonly known as the "Twist". In a word, you're... different from other people. You have powers and skills beyond what most are capable of, and that makes you dangerous. Having a Twist is pretty much the only benefit to being a Mutant. Aside from playing scrabble with a Mutant's Genetic Code, most of the time TUWZ7426 provides them with an inhuman ability, known as a "Twist." The word Twist is essentially a catchall term for whatever makes a Mutant better or worse than a Pure Human, no two Twists are alike.

A Twist can be anything, from a blatantly supernatural power, to a superhuman regular attribute, and everything in between. Occasionally, Twists are benign, but most aren't. Twists can be earth-shattering, usually, not so much. Often, Twists ignore the laws of physics to do things that can only be called Magical. Scientists have been studying Mutants for centuries, and they're no closer to truly understanding the Twist Gene than they were when they started.

Mutant Twists sometimes manifest right after birth, others take time to become evident. Many Twists can be turned on and off, and sometimes they're uncontrollable. Some Twists are broad, others are ridiculously specialized. Many Mutants don't have a Twist. Most Mutants have only one, less have more. A few slowly "Evolve" new and stronger Twists over time, you're one of them.

CHOOSE A TWIST CATEGORY, CHOOSE CAREFULLY!

COMBAT

STEALTH

MOBILITY

WEIRD

((OOC: First category to three votes gets it.))

Its the far future, cybernetics and futuristic technology has become commonplace. Despite Humanity's progress, in some ways it has degenerated. The government is shadowy and corrupt, crime runs rampant, and most people live in impoverished slums. Like the Synith Metro, population, 40 million. Mutants, maybe a few hundred thousand, they're pretty rare. You've been on the street struggling to survive for four years now, yesterday was your birthday and you've decided to make something of yourself or die trying.

Spoiler:  What is this? (click to show/hide)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: You're a Homeless Mutant in a Cyberpunk Metropolis! SG
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:00:49 pm »

Weird, because I have no idea if what's coming from that.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:33:00 pm »

Weird. Because let's get crazy

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »

((Note: The Weird Twist category is made up of Twists that don't fall under any of the other three categories.))

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:42:19 pm »

Weird, why not
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:47:13 pm »

Actually, our twist is adaption.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:02 pm »

((Actually I was going to roll for them on a random generator, but, that's a possibility. Also, 3 Votes are in, the starting Twist is in the Weird category.))

Rolling 1d3 for amount of Twists...

!3!

((That's a lucky start. I'm rolling for the Twists now.))

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Best Digi-Tamer EVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:47 pm »

PTW. Interesting concept. Hopefully, this one actually lasts.

I'd vote Weird since it's 95% of my name, but I'm too late, and . . .

I like that one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:41:49 pm by Weirdo »
I came this far. Erase my scars.

With enough duct tape you could fix anything. In Mother Russia duct tape fixes YOU!
SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »

Question;
When you say urban jungle, do you mean just a big urban area, or slums that are literally dealing with rampant vegetation and urban decay due to neglect?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:10:20 pm »

Seems interesting.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »

I was going to vote for mobility, but voting was over before I woke up.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 10:51:42 am »

Basic Rules:

For Combat, I'm going to be using a crude HP, PP system. HP, or Health Points represents the amount of health you, or someone else has. The average Human has 10/10 HP but many Mutants and Cyborgs have higher HP. HP lowers when you sustain damage, each lowered Point represents the wounds, broken bones, and tissue damage you've accumulated. A Human with 9/10 HP has a few small cuts and will probably recover in a day or two. A Human with 1/10 HP is in critical condition and needs to get to a Hospital, barring excellent treatment it will take them weeks to recover. Many weapons can instantly kill or cripple someone, combat is messy and brutal. Armor, tactics, and actual combat skill is extremely important if you want to survive a street fight. The HP system is abstract, I'm going to use chunky salsa to describe damage.

PP represents the amount of energy you, or someone else has. PP regenerates much faster than HP. PP are spent to use your Mutant Powers. Cyborgs use an alternate Point system for their Cybernetics, if you ever get cybernetics, I'll go into more detail about that. Most Humans have 2-5 PP, and they are usually only used to resist certain kinds of psionic attacks. Most Mutants have at least 10/10 PP, some have more PP. PP management is important, you don't want to suddenly lose your one advantage in the middle of a gunfight.

HP and PP can be trained and increased over time. Some Twists increase HP and PP. Normally, you won't be able to see someone else's exact HP and PP, I'll keep that in the background and just describe their wounds. I think that this is better than the rules-light combat system I've used in previous, short-lived Threads.

For Twists, I'm going to use a crude Level system, abbreviated as Lv from now on. The higher a Twist's Lv is, the higher it's Power. For example:

Fire Manipulation

Lv 1: You can summon sparks and warm things at will, if you focus, you can throw a small Fireball.
Lv 2: You can summon pitiful flames and slightly heat things at will, if you focus, you can throw two Fireballs, or a large Fireball
Lv 3: You can summon small flames and heat things at will, if you focus, you can throw several Fireballs, or two large Fireballs.

Most Mutants don't gain Lv over time, you're one of the Mutants lucky enough to Evolve over time. Whenever you use your Twists often/very skillfully, you will gain an Evolution Point. An Evolution Point can be spent to upgrade a Twist's Lv when you Level Up, or "Evolve", but occasionally you'll have the opportunity to spend 1d10 Evo Points to gain a new Twist that may or may not be related to your current Twists. It costs 1 Evo Point to upgrade a Twist per Lv, for example, it takes 2 Evo Points to upgrade to Lv 2, 3 Evo Points to upgrade to Lv 3, and so on. Certain extremely rare substances can provide you with Evo Points and/or a new Twist.

For Rolls, I'm going to be using a 1d20, with bonuses and penalties based on skill, equipment, Twists, and whatever else would impact the outcome of an action. There will be no crits, but rolling a 1 is still terrible, and rolling a 20 is still amazing. Alright, now that I've explained the rules, I'll get to posting the starting Twists, and then the update. Sorry it took so long, I'm having Computer Issues.

Question;
When you say urban jungle, do you mean just a big urban area, or slums that are literally dealing with rampant vegetation and urban decay due to neglect?

Both, it depends on the area of the Synith Metro.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 11:21:48 am »

Current Twists:

Natural Force Mimicry: With Natural Force Mimicry, you can transform your body's material properties into that of any material you are currently touching or have touched in the last 5 minutes. You don't become any more powerful than you were before the transformation, and any damage you sustain will remain when the transformation ends, but you gain the properties of the material you've transformed into. For example, turning into steel to deflect bullets, or into air to go through tight spaces.
Lv 1: You can transform parts of your body near the center of touch into the touched material, if you aren't touching the material you need to succeed a willpower roll (DC 14) to avoid flickering.
PP Cost: Depends on the extent of the transformation.

Sound Wave Generation: With Sound Wave Generation, you can spontaneously generate and project visible Sound Waves through the air around you. This is not a subtle power, and does not include Sound Dampening or Sound Manipulation. It is primarily offensive, projected Sound Waves effectively ignore most armor, cause hearing loss, and at higher Lv, can shatter bone.
Lv 1: You can generate and project a Sound Wave to a target within 5 feet of you, dealing 1d4 HP damage.
PP Cost: Lv 1, 2 PP.

Bone Durability: Bone Durability doesn't include Bone Manipulation or Bone Regeneration, you still can't control your bones or heal them any faster. It makes your Bones more difficult to break. Bone Durability makes you more durable overall, but does nothing to lessen tissue or organ damage sustained.
Lv 1: Your Bones are twice as strong as a normal Human's. +4 HP.
PP Cost: 0, this Twist is passive.

The Twist didn't just give you extraordinary Powers, it also changed your base DNA to be something less, or more, than Human. Some Mutants resemble animals more than Humans, others are nearly indistinguishable at a glance. All Mutants have some form of Abnormality, and this is a dead giveaway to their true nature. As a Mutant Evolves, they gain Abnormalities.

Abnormalities:

Shifting Eyes: Your eyes don't have any visible iris or pupil, instead appearing to be one color. Your eyes slowly shift from color to color, it's not entirely unpleasant to watch but it's an obvious sign that you're a Mutant. Incidentally, your eyesight is above average, +1 to Perception Rolls.

Furred Hands: A thin layer of soft, striped white fur has grown over the back of your hands and part of your wrists. It helps somewhat with cold temperatures, but it's no better than a typical glove. The Fur isn't normal, and may draw attention.

Long Digits: Your fingers and toes are 1.5 times the normal length, this has no effect. It isn't noticeable, and can easily be explained as an ordinary Human birth defect, though it may cause suspicion from more knowledgeable individuals.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:31 am »

I say we go for Natural Force Mimicry and Shifting Eyes. NFM sounds like if could be OP as fuck later on, and we can just cover the eyes with sunglasses.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »

DAY ONE

'Blech, what time is it?' You groggily open your eyes and look at the alley around you. There's the old dumpster you've been sleeping in the past few days, some trash scattered here and there, and a thin layer of snow built up overnight. The air is somewhat foggier than usual, and there's not too much traffic on the streets. It looks like it's two hours 'till noon, and if memory serves, it's Tuesday.

Grrp Your stomach growls. Ugh, you haven't eaten since yesterday morning... Ah well, You've got the entire day ahead of you, what do you want to do for the next few hours?

Suggestions

[] Go to McDonald's and get some cheap food.
[] Go uptown and beg for change, if you look terrible enough it'll pay off.
[] Go Dumpster Diving, you can find some pretty nice stuff sometimes.
[] Go talk to Tony and see if he has a job for you.
[] Screw it, try to find an actual job, see if anyone will hire you.
[] Something else?

Spoiler:  Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Inventory (click to show/hide)

I say we go for Natural Force Mimicry and Shifting Eyes. NFM sounds like if could be OP as fuck later on, and we can just cover the eyes with sunglasses.

You don't understand, these are your starting Twists and Abnormalities. I rolled for it earlier in the Thread and you had 3 Twists to start, these were the Twists that came up when I rolled. I'm sorry for not being clear.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:46:03 pm by Ardent Debater »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6