Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Philosophy Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 22398 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Philosophy Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2023, 11:44:27 pm »

No, no. We all expect a certain amount of heaven from our lives. A certain amount of limbo. A certain amount of hell. It's a reasonable question to ask what that certain amount is.

I feel like a medieval person would have answered this question with 10%.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:59:18 pm by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2023, 12:05:35 am »

None of these things exist so NaN%
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:26 am »

Hell is the state of permanent separation from god so life is 100% hell from the moment you look in a mirror and recognize yourself
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2023, 07:34:47 am »

No, no. We all expect a certain amount of heaven from our lives. A certain amount of limbo. A certain amount of hell. It's a reasonable question to ask what that certain amount is.

I feel like a medieval person would have answered this question with 10%.
Everyone needs more limbo in their lives. How low, can you go. How low, can you go!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »

To beat Limbo all you have to do is balance... that's deep.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2023, 06:39:36 pm »

People say how that neurology disproves free will piss me off.

Putting aside the utter meaninglessness of the very concept of free will- Can anyone tell me what constitutes "un-free will"? Exactly.

Anyways, they say that since my thoughts start forming before they appear on my consciousness, they are somehow not mine and I am some powerless puppet spectating my life.

I'd like to point out that this is akin to saying, "The chainsaw's chain is moved by an unseen motor, and therefore it is not the agent that does the cutting! OH NOESSSS!1!1!1!"

It is neither the motor, or the chain that does the cutting. It is the chainsaw that does it. Both of their sum. What they make together.

My subconscious processes take stuff from the inside to the surface, and my conscious processes take those surfaced stuff, add and craft new info and send it back down. Rinse and repeat. Ad mortem.

I am not under attack by some nefarious overmind. That thing back there is also me.

And I am doing all the thinking. All of it.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2023, 08:23:43 am »

The debate between free will and determinism usually boils down to philosophical impracticality, because most people still hold individuals responsible for their actions. If humanity truly believed in determinism, then morality and legal systems have no meaning because any action of a person or persons is an inevitable result of the evolution of physical systems according to basic laws of physics.

It's an interesting flaw in the premises of pieces of art like Minority Report because it proactively punishes people for crimes they didn't actually commit because of the intervention.  So how could the precogs see the crime if it never came to pass?

Modern thinking on this boils down to "hey quantum mechanics!" because QM inherently has this weird microscopic unknowability - it's not random but it's probabilistic.  It's unclear how the microscopic uncertainty collapses to macroscopic phenomena, but there's a lot of investigation (rigorous and not-so-rigorous) on how QM may influence thought.

At its core the idea is, what are all the possible subsequent states of thought/action given the current state - and do we choose the subsequent state, or is that state simply a statistical outcome based on QM? Do we choose it, or does QM "cause" our choice?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2023, 09:24:56 am »

Humans are hypocrites. It's actually a normal part of being human. Still annoying.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2023, 10:01:22 am »

I think people fall back on quantum mechanics too readily when talking about consciousness and free will, just because it's mysterious and random.  I'm not sure anyone has provided any evidence that quantum mechanical effects manifest meaningfully at the scales needed to drive thinking, but I'd be very interested in reading about it if they have.

The other side of it too is that even if decisions are influenced by quantum mechanics, it's still random.  Probabilistic is still random, just with some constraints - there's still no you making the decisions at that point, unless souls are somehow quantum mechanical in nature and drive hidden variables we can't observe.  That's not impossible, but it's also unfalsifiable so it'll never leave the realm of philosophy.  On topic here I guess.

I like to think of it this way: either we make our decisions entirely based off of our past experiences and current situation, or there has to be randomness involved.  What alternative is there?  If you make a decision that isn't based on previous experience and your current observations, then that implies the decision was influenced by something not even based in reality.

On the topic of punishing people even when their behavior is deterministic, I don't think that's necessarily illogical.  People still learn from punishment and it influences their future behavior.  I think it should guide the way we punish or rehabilitate people though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2023, 12:06:42 pm »

I think determinism (QM or otherwise) is even worse than you are portraying - it's not saying "your decision is based on past experience" it's saying "given your past experiences and the current physical state of the universe, this is the only decision you could have made."  Kind of like if you have a time varying electric field, a time varying magnetic field must also be present.

QM doesn't resolve this either, because sure things are now according to a distribution* but they are not "decisions" they are just "outcomes" - I mean does a die "decide" to land on a 6 instead of one of the other values? If you have a billion dice and roll them, did they "decide" to land in the pattern they did (this is more akin do a macroscopic object, like "the human brain" perhaps)?

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2023, 12:30:01 pm »

Nah, it's Magnetic Forces that determine human behavior. Damn Quantum Mechanics stealing the spotlight from Magnetism!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 10, 2023, 12:36:15 pm »

Sure, but did it decide to steal the spotlight, or is that its inevitable role?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 10, 2023, 01:02:35 pm »

Ugh, "Free Will" this, "Determinism" that!

You are a series of logic systems built on a biochemical and bioelectrical signals. You take the data in, you transform it, and then you put it out. By this process, you are given form.

There is free will. There is no estranged will.

Like, genuinely. What does this endless tirade even mean?!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 10, 2023, 01:20:22 pm »

That's probably one of the most important questions to ask, and I'm having a hard time even defining it.  Ultimately it's just the notion people want to feel like they have control of their actions, but even saying that feels like a circular definition or is sidestepping the real question.

I can only really explain it in the context of religion, most specifically the notion of being responsible for what you do if faced with an eternal afterlife predicated on your actions in life.  People who believe in that want it to be "fair," and it surely isn't fair if you face eternal punishment when you were destined to end up there from the moment the universe came into existence.

Maybe someone can come up with a better, more general way to talk about it, since it should go beyond religion.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 06:06:36 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 10, 2023, 04:38:08 pm »

Determinanism comes from a belief in an All-knowing, All-powerful being controlling everything, relegating humans into the roles of Actors with little control over the script.

It underestimates God's Power by taking infinite power and understanding from outside The Universe and Time itself, then trying to define in petty human terms.

Bullshit is a correct and proper response to Determinism, but there are times it "makes sense", if only because the Human brain WANTS things to "make sense".
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]