Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 564190 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1939 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #1920 on: May 16, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »

Less of an "invasion" and more of a "Trail of Tears" sort of thing.
:(

I was thinking more like the Sentinelese.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 16, 2017, 02:08:56 pm »

Considering it'll take half a year of herding before we can get them rounded up into reservations, I hope our takeover won't be analogous to the U.S.'s Trail of Tears and more...gentle.

But make no mistake, we're taking an island that is already inhabited and moving the inhabitants out of the resource-rich areas.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 16, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

Uh, they're part of the Comintern. I don't exactly think they're nomadic aboriginals who we can herd up into reservations.

United Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »

I think the 'supplying rebels' story is better. I mean, that'll go down well with both the Allies and the Axis, since they're all deathly afraid of communist uprisings.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:09 pm »

What's more communist than a small tribe of nomadic peoples?

Ultimately, Sensei will just tell us what terrible stuff we did next turn.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:11 pm »

I hope we eat babies.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 16, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »

Ram, no, just no. What do you think we are? Elves?
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:39 pm »

Bunch of crazy sadistic lunatics Forenian engineers...
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 16, 2017, 08:21:31 pm »

Lamb, shoots, fruit(or is that more like embryos?), sausages(c'mon, we all know they contain human babies, amongst worse things...)...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »

Jungle and Northern Island it is!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1939 (Still strategy phase?)
« Reply #1930 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:16 pm »

At the 1939 Worlds Fair, a robot called "Elektro the Moto-Man" is displayed, with the ability to speak 700 pre-recorded words, limited articulation, response to voice commands and a few other "tricks".

This is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soO9CR1NiZk

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:24 am »

A design was found, neatly filed in the design bureau, though its source is unknown. The final page features iconography attributed to the "A Guano of Anarchists" group. The first page, may mercy be upon us all, is as follows...
ANY-AG-1939 "Bunny Hop" "Very Sane, Much Chronistic, So Not-a-meme" "Viperslay Deathwing Nightstrike" "Stop Bing Silly" "Kilroy was here" "Bunny Hop is the Jive!"
Dissatisfied with engines. The treacherous things stick out like sore thumbs! Everyone shoots them... Sure we need power, but why engines? NO MORE ENGINES!!!
Where does power come from... Steam Turbines! Ugh, not enough steam... Eh, lets just not use water, plenty of air up there... Umm, make it thicker?
Rockets! They never thought to put a rocket IN it!!! ha!
{Many indecipherable scratches...}
I present within a wonderous thing:
 A series of liquid rockets down the length feed a series of gas turbines(With a central cooling shaft to provide air to centrally-mounted heat-sinks.) which send their exhaust out of tubes along-the length, some of which will be mechanically blocked to assist turning. These turbines power six electric motors along the wings which drive the six propellors and are backed by six smoke dispensors for tactical smoke-deployment. This creates a hybrid rocket-propellor aeroplane! Armed with twin autocannons and, ummm, a 50mm from the DT-25!

It can drop smoke over firendlies and then shoot at hostiles! Fun for all!
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:26 am »

Battle Report 7: Winter 1939

Design Doctrines:
I've tried to classify various design features of both factions into design doctrines. They chiefly concern vehicles of various sorts and will serve to help keep descriptions from being bloated with standard features. Some of these appear retroactively and some will appear only on future vehicles, as specified in the text. Look under the new section in each faction's equipment list for more. I've done all the ones I think make sense off-hand, let me know if there are more current features you think should be included as design doctrines.

New Equipment:

This turn, the Forenians built the UFAF-F39-W 'Haast', a single-engine heavy fighter/ground attacker. It's large, powerful, and relatively slow but develops a lot of lift, making it suitable for carrying heavy payloads and its low speeds give it a good engagement time against ground targets. It has a variety of small new features, including cockpit armor, but the most interesting thing about it is that it holds four AC-18 autocannons and can carry two Dolphin torpedoes. It also has folding wings to fit on a Wasp Nest carrier, but it can't take off of one of these carriers with a bomb load. For their revision, existing RDN-2 Radar has been improved with the ability to detect ships, though to within a shorter range than aircraft.

Cannala's design this turn is the Bureaucrat's Wife Radio Equipment, which is an inexpensive backpack-sized module portable by a single man. It also incorporates, through a second backpack-sized device, a system which hops frequencies multiple times per second making either voice or morse transmissions difficult to listen in on. For their revision they have added foam-filled stabilizers to the body of the M3 chassis used by the Raider, Maurauder, and Firecracker (the self-propelled AA gun which confusingly shares a name with Forenian cluster bombs) which enable it to travel on water with the turret in place, without risk of capsizing.

The Forenian Army currently has the following equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:47 am »

The Cannalan army currently has the following equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 17, 2017, 02:55:28 am »

The War This Turn:
Cannala is saving their expense credit gained from the Allies, and attacking in the Jungle and Plains. Forenia is attacking in the Jungle as well, and directing the other half of their forces to the NE Desert Island, in a bid to gain the resources there.

Espionage!
Move along, citizen. Nothing to see here.

The Battle at Sea
Winter has come, and with it, poor weather. Forenia has improved their radar to detect ships, and their new attack aircraft the Haast can carry two torpedoes. Cannala's new, less expensive radios will chiefly benefit their fighters in this theater.

The use of aircraft, in general, is more difficult in the thick fogs that are characteristic of this season, but thanks to their improved radar, Forenian aircraft have an idea where to look for Cannalan ships, rather than always doing the scouting themselves. Furthermore, while last winter Cannala had a lot of success in secretly getting close to Forenian fleets to lay mines or make surprise attacks, now Forenia has the upper hand, shooting or deploying planes first. While the radar is very useful, coordinating the exact location of enemies is difficult, with Forenian communications officers having conversations like, "Well, your beep is southwest of the beep which we're pretty sure is the enemy beep, so keep heading north east until your beeps are on top of each other." It also quickly becomes clear that blindly coordinating cannon fire using radar intelligence from a separate ship is almost impossible, so it's lucky that Forenia focuses on airplanes which get very close to their target and make visual contact to attack.

Cannalan aircraft perform better with their new radios, which let an intelligence ship easily direct their movements. The new Forenian Haast sees some use flying from shore with its load of torpedoes, and somewhat on carriers, its heavy payload and great durability make it a good choice for attacking ships, but the DB can manage a takeoff from a Wasp with a small bomb load so it's usually favored.

Cannala has a basic Naval Advantage this season, with their Corsair Cruiser antics dampened by Forenian radar.

The Battle for the Jungle:
Attacking: Both
The wet season has begun again.

Cannala has gained one aspect of infantry advantage, their new "Bureaucrat's Wife" radio set means every squad has a radio operator, and can communicate and receive orders without stopping to set up their radio. They also upgraded their Raider APCs (and Marauder/SPAAGs, which are different guns on the same chassis) to have the ability to cross rivers as well as travel up and down river safely, with their weapons attached. This means that Cannala has fully amphibious armored vehicles effective for fighting both infantry and tanks. Their biggest weakness shored up, and with Forenia's tanks struggling in the mud, Cannala goes on a campaign of armored domination. Santiago Gaspar becomes Cannala's best tank ace, with 12 kills- his fellow soldier call him "The Crocodile" because he waits in rivers and swamps for Forenians to pass, and attacks them from behind.

Forenia's new Haast performs admirably as a ground attacker, it carries a good bomb load and its four autocannons can kill every infantryman in a line a few meters wide when strafing, if loaded with HE shells. It's also pretty resistant to flak and HMG fire. However, it's not enough to make up for the Cannalan armored advantage, or the fact that the very wet jungles aren't burning so easily under Forenian Firecracker bombs this season.

Cannala gains ground. [Forenia 1/4, Cannala 3/4]

The Battle for the Plains:
Attacking: Cannala

Right. Look. Cannalans. This is going to seem a little weird.

So... so the Forenians built this thing. They call it a "Death Ball". I'm going to break character a little bit, and admit that I told them to go crazy last game, I didn't even think we'd get this far, with all their weapons being used again. So I made it more expensive retroactively, because, well, it was stupid. It's a... sigh, it's a giant concrete boulder, like, it's 30 feet tall, and it's got rockets on it in a circular formation, and a gyroscope inside, and they fucking build this thing and leave it one place and kinda aim it (I don't really know how) and then light it off. And it, ah, it rolls along the open ground (we're in the plains now, so that's where this happens) and... well, it crushes your tanks. The whole thing, just whoomp, into the ground. I'm sorry. Anyway I don't know how the hell you're supposed to counter that, so I'm saying it's not really a big factor, it's like hard to aim and stuff, but, they kill at least one of your tanks that way. That happens. Some of the Forenians in the Discord were very insistent on reminding me of this. Sorry, again.

Also their new Haast is a pretty good ground/sea attack plane. It doesn't outmaneuver or outrun your fighters, but it can carry a large payload, handle a lot of flak fire, and if it does get behind another aircraft it can light them up with cannons. Some of them are shot down by the Cannalan fighters, because the Haast can't dogfight well, but per the usual Forenia has an advantage in terms of air superiority- perhaps a carrier would help in the use of aircraft near enemy shores.

Cannalan infantry is deployed by Raiders, but on the plains they lack a good medium machine gun and the Forenians have their better snipers, F14A semi-auto rifles and Tiger Armor. Frequently they use the Tiger Armor at machine gun nests, which are very difficult for Cannalan infantry to crack unless they get a mortar set up for get armored support, since Cannalan rifles aren't effective against it at long or medium range.

Cannala does not gain ground. [Cannala 1/3, Forenia 2/3]

The North East Desert:
Attacking-ish: Forenia

When Forenia set out to invade the North East desert island, they expected to find a communist regime there. Instead, it's mostly abandoned. Buildings are looted and burning, there are no ships in the harbor, oil pumpjacks seem to have been packed up and carried away. A few remaining residents say the place was overrun by pirates- "Not Cannalan dogs, but Russian-speakers" who left in a hurry before Forenian forces arrived. No shots were fired as Forenian forces occupied the area, but it'll take a lot of effort to restore the infrastructure on the island. Whoever was here, they took almost everything, they even stole a bridge. [Forenia 1/2]

Events outside the War:

The Outside World:

After the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact is signed between Germany and Russia, Britain and France prepare for war, readying their armies and calling any of their citizens in Germany to return. On September 1st, Germany invades Poland, running over Polish troops with ease, AS-AR34 assault rifles in hand. The United Kingdom and France declare war on Germany, and the United States declares its neutrality. By September 4th, Britain has begun bombing the port city of Wilhelmshaven, Germany, but it's ineffective. The Soviet Union joins in the invasion of poland. By early October, the very last of the polish forces will have been defeated, leaving only underground resistance.

Leó Szilárd and Albert Einstein advise President Franklin Roosevelt that it may be possible to create a bomb of incredible power using uranium fission- they also say that Germany may have already started work on such a bomb, and that America should begin a nuclear program as well. The regular passenger airplane route across the Atlantic Ocean is opened, between New York and Britain. The Wizard of Oz premieres at a theatre in Hollywood, and experimental television broadcasts of Major League Baseball begin.

Local Events:
Forenia had an aircraft carrier mysteriously go missing between the Forenian Mainland and the desert island, but the event is overshadowed by an event which occurs in the Forenian Parliament. The NFPP, despite lacking a majority in Parliament, declared prime minister Nikolai Antonov to be "Dictator of Forenia", a new position with as much power to himself as the whole of Parliament, and marched armored infantry into the parliament hall to ensure compliance. Two hours later, he was cleverly assassinated by Benedikt Bogdanov, a PAROI party member. Bogdanov claimed to be directing the pyrotechnics display for Nikolai's inauguration speech (pyrotechnics are a peculiarly prolific feature of Forenian politics) and launched an antitank RPG out of a fireworks tube, a carefully bent fin caused this RPG to loop around and hit Nikolai in the back. "I did it on purpose! It wasn't an accident! And I wouldn't have supported that fascist anyway," says Bogdanov. Currently the Forenian Parliament has decided to keep ministers heavily armed at all times with rockets, machine guns and Horsekiller rifles as a means of preventing another such incident.

AS-SS1935X, Arstotzka's space capsule launched a few years ago, has disappeared. On May 3rd, 1939, it passed behind the moon and did not return. It is debated among astronomers whether its orbit has decayed and it has impacted the moon, or if its path has finally left lunar orbit and it evaded the observation of anyone who was looking for it. It is also hotly debated whether this is a natural decay of orbit or it was acted upon by an outside force, perhaps colliding with a space-rock.

In Cannala, a new wave of government propaganda has started, declaring Forenia as a tool of fascism bent on helping Nazi Germany achieve world domination. There has been an assassination attempt on El Presidente. A Juraki gunman using a Type 0 Rei rifle took a shot at him during one of his speeches, but Penultimo, his right-hand man, saw the gunman and leaped in front of El Presidente before he fired, taking the bullet. At Penultimo's memorial service, El Presidente declared a long list of Jurakis believed to be conspirators in the assassination attempt, and warned that the Juraki populace in general were Nazi sympathizers who would undermine Cannala to benefit Forenia, citing Japan's alliance with Nazi Germany. As a result of this many of the remaining free Juraki have been sent to labor camps.

Turn 8, Commence!
You may now begin voting for your design phase!
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 500