Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565167 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1942 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #5610 on: February 04, 2018, 10:01:55 pm »

Well, we have experience with rocket assisted tanks from the death ball, maybe we could make a tank and APC with a giant rocket strapped to it and a parachute that can be launched from extreme distances to land entire armored companies behind enemy lines.

I see no problem with this.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: February 04, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »

Well, we have experience with rocket assisted tanks from the death ball, maybe we could make a tank and APC with a giant rocket strapped to it and a parachute that can be launched from extreme distances to land entire armored companies behind enemy lines.

I see no problem with this.

We should start smaller.  Maybe a rocket for one person.

And they would need armor to deal with the wind but we can just adapt our tiger armor.

And maybe actually a smaller jet engine would be better for fuel utility.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:27 pm »

What if we modify our 300 mm guns to shoot paratroopers behind enemy lines

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: February 04, 2018, 10:58:16 pm »

On a more serious note, and my Rocket Tanks and Flying Tiger Armor suggestions were half serious, we should probably update the tiger armor. 

The current one helps but is useless for anyone who needs to move and doesn't allow handling weapons well, both easy fixes really if we distribute the weight better and have custom fitted hand/forearm parts and actually armor the legs.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:40 pm »

I wouldn't say that it is useless. It has a role to play in ambushes(when hiding is possible), it can support defensive positions by threatening an avenue of advance(It isn't cost effective when it is used, but the effect of knowing that the first squad through the ravine will get squished is devastating when trying to get the first squad to rush the ravine...), and it can compromise a defensive clearance(The ability to roll a huge mound of rubble into the middle of a big firearm's nice clear firing arc should not be understated...). Given the way the game works, I suspect that Death Balls are pretty much free, so I see no reason that they wouldn't be playing a role. It is easy to say that the Panther was better than the Tiger, but there were still times where a tiger did the "you shall not pass" thing in ways that a panther never could. It is easy to say that V-2s were a pointless waste of resources, but they were effective enough to be a significant target, and it is not impossible to build a fake one and surround it with hidden anti-air defences... There were planes built to ram other planes, there were bombers built to bomb other bombers, there were people with swords charging at flame-throwers... There were many ridiculous things made, and some of them were occasionally useful. The Death balls are neither as ridiculous nor as useless as they appear.

On a more serious note, and my Rocket Tanks and Flying Tiger Armor suggestions were half serious, we should probably update the tiger armor. 

The current one helps but is useless for anyone who needs to move and doesn't allow handling weapons well, both easy fixes really if we distribute the weight better and have custom fitted hand/forearm parts and actually armor the legs.
Armouring the legs might increase mobility. Supported weight tends to be less of an issue than carried weight...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:39 pm »

I wouldn't say that it is useless. It has a role to play in ambushes(when hiding is possible), it can support defensive positions by threatening an avenue of advance(It isn't cost effective when it is used, but the effect of knowing that the first squad through the ravine will get squished is devastating when trying to get the first squad to rush the ravine...), and it can compromise a defensive clearance(The ability to roll a huge mound of rubble into the middle of a big firearm's nice clear firing arc should not be understated...). Given the way the game works, I suspect that Death Balls are pretty much free, so I see no reason that they wouldn't be playing a role. It is easy to say that the Panther was better than the Tiger, but there were still times where a tiger did the "you shall not pass" thing in ways that a panther never could. It is easy to say that V-2s were a pointless waste of resources, but they were effective enough to be a significant target, and it is not impossible to build a fake one and surround it with hidden anti-air defences... There were planes built to ram other planes, there were bombers built to bomb other bombers, there were people with swords charging at flame-throwers... There were many ridiculous things made, and some of them were occasionally useful. The Death balls are neither as ridiculous nor as useless as they appear.

Armouring the legs might increase mobility. Supported weight tends to be less of an issue than carried weight...

The big issue is we would basically be making high tech plate mail, and that shit is difficult to make since it needs to be custom fitted to an individual. 
If we broke body types down into like 10 types and used straps to do minor adjustments, then made them a bit modular so we could mix and match them for odd body types we could mass produce "custom fitted" plate mail made out of modern materials.

Aluminum for the internals to reduce weight, some sort of fancy metal combination I don't know about for the actual armor.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: February 04, 2018, 11:34:19 pm »

The ridiculous fucking mass forging techniques we developed would probably aid on this front.
Also, I'd rather have them off of Forenia and reclaim that ore, we don't really need more than one spot of land on Titan right now.
Quote from: Strategy Vote
Attack Tereshkova (6): Lightforger, Piratejoe, Madman, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Powder Miner
Reclaim Forenia! (4): Jilladilla, Piratejoe, Madman, Powder Miner
Attack Titan (4): Lightforger, Jilladilla, Zanzetkuken, NAV
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:36:30 pm by Powder Miner »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: February 04, 2018, 11:46:15 pm »

Attack Tereshkova (7): Lightforger, Piratejoe, Madman, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Powder Miner, voidslayer
Reclaim Forenia! (5): Jilladilla, Piratejoe, Madman, Powder Miner, voidslayer

The only real problem with defending Forenia is that we didn't get anything new to help us with that really.  But it must be done.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5618 on: February 05, 2018, 05:39:07 am »

The only real problem with defending Forenia is that we didn't get anything new to help us with that really.  But it must be done.
Well, I mean, I suppose we regained the air superiority now, hopefully.

Attack Tereshkova (8): Lightforger, Piratejoe, Madman, Zanzetkuken, NAV, Powder Miner, voidslayer, Kot
Reclaim Forenia! (6): Jilladilla, Piratejoe, Madman, Powder Miner, voidslayer, Kot
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: February 11, 2018, 04:42:27 am »

In case we still can't get around their missiles:

Quote from: Potential Revision
Revision: aT-J40 "Nosebleed"

An advancement over our previous aT-J20 (and preceding aT-J00) jet engine, the aT-J40 is the most powerful engine ever produced in Forenia, hopefully satiating our pilots need to "go fast".  It is roughly the same size as our aT-J20 engine (currently used in our Lightning Streak), yet has a much higher thrust and implements the unrealized "afterburner" system.  The afterburner is an additional fuel injector which disperses extra fuel into the engines exhaust stream, which is burned with the left-over oxygen to produce additional thrust. 

The Nosebleed is designed to give our pilots the extra speed advantage over enemy aircraft and allow them to outrun and out-maneuver their "Cold-War"-era Sidewinder heat-seaking missiles at the cost of increased fuel consumption.  The increased acceleration allows our Lightning Streaks to take off on shorter runways, such as the Wasp or the upper deck of the Zheleznogorod.  The system does not feature any resource cost and is simply another way a pilot can use the resources already aboard his aircraft.  The name comes from the rumor that the increased acceleration will cause nosebleeds among un-acclimated pilots.

This engine is to be used in a future design known as the "Turbo Haast".

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: March 13, 2018, 04:08:21 pm »

Is it still active?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: March 13, 2018, 05:04:21 pm »

Sensei seems to have some intent to continue doing this, going off of the discord.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:13 pm »

Sensei seems to have some intent to continue doing this, going off of the discord.

He just apparently needs be 'inspired' to write the turn in order to get it made.  Also known as "it's been two months, maybe I should get around to writing an update."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »

Battle Report 20: Spring 1942

Yeah technically I'm still updating this.

New Equipment:

This turn, the Forenians have designed the UF-RJ-42 "Fair Fight Module", a radio jammer which emits high amplitude signals on the frequency (or rather, a range of frequencies just to be safe) of Cannalan proximity detonators. This causes them to detonate early within a range of about 300 meters, hopefully protecting Forenian aircraft from missiles and infantry from shells alike, but it hasn't really been tested in action. For their revision they've made the UF-RTS-43 'Long Shot' B, an improvement over the older Long Shot radar gun aiming system, which takes advantage of cavity radar for greater precision. The operator's controls have been improved so a gun can actually be aimed finely enough to hit a target, but it does not automatically adjust for wind, target motion or other factors.

Forenia has lost access to the ore on Tereshkova. This reduces them to 5 Ore from 6. Some of you clever readers will notice that the Forenian ore was at 5 last turn. I screwed that up, it appears, but fortunately this doesn't affect any very important designs.

Cannala has reworked their airforce with a new bomber and improved fighter. The B3A-1 Vengeful Charlotte Strategic Bomber is a high-altitude bomber powered by two new, larger turbofan engines. It operates at a high speed and altitude, with a compound swept wing design, and pressurized cabin and masks for the crew. It carries up to twelve tons of ordnance, which can be split between the bomb bay or the four two-ton wing hardpoints. Their revised fighter, the M1942 Spearhead-C 'Super Spearhead' removes titanium from its design to make up for resource losses on Titan and has been reconfigured so it has a single Vengeance engine (same as on the Charlotte) and the guns are in fuselage "humps" leaving space for a radar system later. Its overall performance is mostly unchanged.

The Forenian Army currently has the following equipment, not including legacy equipment which can be found near the OP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: March 21, 2018, 03:40:09 pm »

The Cannalan army currently has the following equipment, not including legacy equipment which can be found near the OP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(turn continues on next page)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:42:01 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 500