Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gwent CCG - minigame from Witcher 3 now a standalone product  (Read 927 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, remember that minigame in Witcher 3? It has been reworked and expanded and made into its own game. Kinda like Arcomage.
It's still in closed beta but I'm sure I'm not the only one playing this right now.
To compare it to Hearthstone, it is much less random, much more tactical and, what I liked the most, every decktype works. I'm not sure how expensive it will be yet, but I can already see that you might want to spend money on it to build a few very strong decks.

If you get the beta key from GoG, you get a free pack and a free copy of Witcher 1 game to boot.

Discuss.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Gwent CCG - minigame from Witcher 3 now a standalone product
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:34:55 am »

Im a magic the gathering player, so when i saw gwent in witcher 3 i kinda went "ha, thats cute." Then I found myself collecting cards and playing it like a madman, so this looks cool.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:24:04 am »

Gwent is out in open beta now.

I played quite a bit in the closed beta, and I enjoyed it very much. It is a refreshing change from magic-like card games and doesn't feel like a clone like a lot of new digital ccgs do. If you're in to card games at all I would heartily recommend it. It will probably overtake Hearthstone for me as the primary digital card game, at least for a while anyway.

If you haven't played since closed beta there have been a lot of card changes. The game feels less prone to huge swings now since they changed cards like weather effect cards and rally.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:21 pm »

Aye, it's a fun one. I tried it out yesterday and have been working my way through the single player challenges to unlock some cards. It has quite a bit of risk vs reward gameplay (i.e. do I commit to this round or pass to have a stronger hand in the next?).