Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [TOOL] dwarffortress.vim  (Read 3615 times)

Kazimuth

• Bay Watcher
  • [ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
    • View Profile
    • github
[TOOL] dwarffortress.vim
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »

dwarffortress.vim
Hi again! I've written another raw file syntax highlighting tool, this time for the Vim text editor :)

Preview
(warning, big)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installation
https://github.com/kazimuth/dwarffortress.vim
(If you've ever installed vim plugins before, it should be pretty painless.)

What is Vim?
I've always thought of vim as the Dwarf Fortress of text editors: it's an anachronistic, bewildering ASCII interface, but once you know your way around it, you're made. (The basics only take a few hours.) If you're interested in learning vim, I'd check out the book A Byte of Vim, which is free to read online. Then, you can install git and vim-plug, which will let you install dwarffortress.vim, so you can mod faster than ever before!

Configuration
See :help dwarffortress

Features
Currently this plugin only provides syntax highlighting. As a general rule, it tries to highlight anything that's built into the game, and not highlight things that aren't; but that can get a little fuzzy.

I'm open to adding more features, like custom snippets or autocomplete support, but I'm not entirely sure what would be useful, since I don't actually do too much raw modding myself. Let me know if you have ideas, or just open a PR if you want to add stuff.

Changelog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:18:04 pm by Kazimuth »
I'm not sure this was a good idea

SatelliteOfLove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [TOOL] dwarffortress.vim
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »

PTW! This is a nice addition for the vim lovers out there.