Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 139354 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »

Be sure to check out the Core Thread that has all the rule updates for this game

It has been countless decades since the people of Spire Kasgyre clawed their way up from the surface and into their new stone home, so long ago now that the tales of the first explorers of the Spire are now legends told to children. Stories of the victory of  Kasgyre above against the monsters below, stories of the victory of Kasgyre against the enigma of the aether, stories of the victory of Kasgyre against gravity itself.  Kasgyre's history is long, and ever-victorious.

Yet now comes a black day for Spire Kasgyre, when her honor has been sullied by the dogs from across the aerosphere. Spire Wreth, cowards that they are, have once again abused our trust. As follow humans, seeking to tame the same sky, we have long tolerated their perverse and backwards ways, but there can be no truce with them. They have spat on our tolerance, and returned our dearest attempts to raise them to some semblance of civilization with hate. They attacked us without warning, burning our settlements to ash, murdering men and womaen in cold blood, and forever cementing their fate.

This ends here. For their crimes against us, we will serve Spire Wreth a chalice of blood. A century from now this will be one more story to tell our children- of Kasgyre's victory over the Wrethian scum!

To play for Spire Kasgyre, post here. You can only play for one side, so choose wisely. If you do choose to play for this team, be respectful of the other team and stay out of their thread.

To start off with, you need to pick which of the nearest Demi-spires your team retained after the initial skirmish. It can be any of the spires marked in Kasgyre territory. You should probably also name those spires to make them more interesting. After that we'll be entering into a four year long development phase that will simulate your nation's unique pre-war tech. This will go fast, even with limited votes, so getting in early has power.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Starting Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:25:21 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:04:46 pm »

Reporting for Spire Kasgyr, Honour in success!

Two things we need to address is the poor state of our shipbuilding and the lack of transports to secure the demi-spires. These two things must be rectified and quickly.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:19:39 pm »

Reporting for Spire Kasgyr, Honour in success!

Two things we need to address is the poor state of our shipbuilding and the lack of transports to secure the demi-spires. These two things must be rectified and quickly.

Patched the starting techs in.

Also, before you start submitting designs or doing anything serious, you have to pick which demi-spire you retain. That lets me actually give you the resources per turn you have to work with for the research period.

All your production lines will start full when the game begins in earnest (after the initial research phase), meaning you will 10 Skyskiffs and 25 marines.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »

Mid, methinks. Silk is good, we can always go invade other palces shortly thereafter.

Anyways, on that subject, methinks better transport options or some sorta assault weapon would be best. In the case of the weapon, Im thinking some sort of wall-rifle sort of design, made out of gunmetal, potentially with some sort of wire-wound barrel, and mostly acting as a puntgun on those skiffs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »

Another engineer reporting for duty.

I also think we should take the spider Farm spire.

For the pre-war buildup, building some barges to rapidly claim the other demi-spires should be a fairly obvious move. Beyond that, I think we should try for a ship-of-the-line of some form. Something with a heavy broadside at the very least.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:40:26 pm »

If it could also act as a transport, sure, Im for that. But I would really like to boost our marines ability to attack structures over combating ships.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:07 pm »

Anyways, on that subject, methinks better transport options or some sorta assault weapon would be best. In the case of the weapon, Im thinking some sort of wall-rifle sort of design, made out of gunmetal, potentially with some sort of wire-wound barrel, and mostly acting as a puntgun on those skiffs.

The exact alloy of gunmetal has not yet been discovered, so you'd be working with 12% tin bronze at the moment.

So, unless someone has an objection, you're getting the spider filled Spire. Which you guys should name so it isn't Spidey Spire. If you have an objection, make it soon because I'd like to get the research period started before I finish grilling.

---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:03:22 pm »

Hmm... The Hive?

I suggest a warship first,  because if the Wreth build a warship and we don't,  we won't be able to get our better soldiers onto the spire in the first place.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:28 pm »

Copying this over from the other thread.

Quote from: IDENTITY PROTECTED
Question: What exactly can we do during these development turns?

Answer: The four development turns will act exactly like standard turns with the following exception: You cannot move ships or take territory in any way.

1. Each round you'll get your five dice and go into the design and project maintenance. You make designs and fund projects as normal. After you're done you move on to revisions.
2. Revisions are made as normal. Then you move to construction, there is no deployment information needed, and thus no tactical information needed
3. Constructions are locked in for next round, and new resource values are calculated.
4. Goto 1
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:35:55 pm »

Your remaining outpost is The Hive. Kasgyrian cartographers appreciate this name, since it's easy to fit on existing maps and doesn't take up too much space.

It is the beginning of 350 AR. All is well, and there is nothing exceptional to report.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,

11/y Crystal, 11 Banked
10/y Ore, 10 banked
11/y Wood, 11 banked
9/y Silk, 9 banked

It is the beginning of the Design Phase and Project Maintenance Phase. You have 5 Dice to spend.
---

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:04:47 pm »

Let us defend noble Ka'Sgyr from those villainous meaths or whatever they call themselves.

It is lucky we retained the silk farm, my father was a silk farmer like his father before him and his father before him.  My great great great grandfather farmed a type of rabbit which was apparently quite tasty to spiders for some reason.  Anyway what I am saying is I got here based on nepotism so I have no idea what I am doing.

It seems to me we have a problem where our cannons set themselves on fire, maybe improving the copper heat sink would be a good idea?  Increase the surface area of both contact and cooling parts and maybe it can fire more then twice without burning the whole ship down.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »

Sounds like a revision

(Reporting in btw!)

since we kept the hive I guess we are going heavy aether tech?
They say spider silk is stronger than steel if you can get enough if it...

Let's open with a fairly aggressive design. The silk string guided pneumatic man launcher. Contains exactly what it says on the label.  Put three dice there, finish it next turn. Signs the other two to fix our cannon and touch up our tactics.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »

That is one critical factor. I suggest that we work on it, improving our metallurgy in general, specifically for lighter and stronger metals, along with some form of warship. Personally, I feel our strength is best projected via our marines. Our current transports are inadiquite, and so are our skiffs are... In many ways they make the transports look like the best craft in the aether. As a result, I suggest that the bulk of our efforts, say, three fifths of it, remain always focused on improving our naval craft, and in the immediate future be focused on a replacement for, or possibly a carrier of skiffs and dingies.

-ninja edit-

Can you elaborate on that launcher? As in, alot? As in, perhaps, more than the most basic form of it? Please? Also, howmany dice you thinking of shoving at it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:25:25 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 09:41:25 pm »

I also think we should make a heavy ship of the line.
Except sideways, so it's broadside is facing forward.
Because a streamlined shape is much less important when you're travelling at boat speeds with no water, and propulsion and steering is handled by magic. And the broadside facing forward would make it much better at attacking.

We can call it the Crab.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:49:52 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 09:44:51 pm »

May I remind you that we only have 25 marines to move around in the first place.
The pneumatic man launcher is exactly what it sounds like. A pneumatic device that launches a marine. Instead of a wire guidance system like modern rockets use, the marine is guided by cords of aether silk. A successful shot would mean throwing a marine straight past their shields and onto the ship, and an unsuccessful shot just has the guy hanging by the chords until we real him back in.
I was thinking 3 dice to get it started.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178