Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (OOC)  (Read 9816 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (OOC)
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:08:52 am »

SolFed Level 3 Detention Station A-1141-A-F "Big Red"

A colorful mess of beings from all across the Four Arms of the galaxy, all having fallen into the custody of the Solar Federation for one reason or another. But whatever the reason for their imprisonment, an opportunity approaches for a handful of them. For the Ithica, a ship owned by enterprising Kiric caravaneers, has come calling, looking for manpower on a most interesting venture. And for the prisoners who find themselves leased out, this might just be the chance to earn their freedom, if they can return alive.

Little do any of them know, some of the oldest secrets in the cosmos are about to be uncovered...

The Game:
The format here is going to be mission-based, with time to roam around/investigate and choose direction between them. When making your character, keep the lore in mind but also remember that the galaxy is a big place, home to a beings of all shapes and sizes.

As I prioritize RP and story, when you make your character you should start with a concept, and we'll hash out the mechanics, GM to player. We can begin that with a "sketch" as detailed in the mechanics writeup, which is in the following google doc:

Mechanics to be found here

Note: you will need a reason for your character's imprisonment at the onset

The Setting

Faster Than Light travel. Achieved via a method commonly known as the Threadweave, based on principles of quantum gravity and dark matter. Ships can follow the Threads strung through the beads of stellar gravity wells. Consequently, it's easy to find Threads up and down the arms of the galaxy, but very difficult to Thread across the sparser areas between arms. With few bridges, travel between arms often requires moving closer to the center of the galaxy and circling around. And so the regions of the Galaxy are defined by its four arms: Jaune, Verde, Violet, and Rouge.

There are large empires, covering hundreds and even thousands of star systems, but the galaxy is vast and swallows even them. The space between is filled with smaller nations, entities, freeholds, and simply huge expanses of unexplored space. Statistically speaking, more of the galaxy is lawless than isn't. And rumors of strange and mysterious things unknown to science abound...

Mindweave
A relatively well-known though poorly understood phenomenon, the Iylum hypothesize it to be similar to Threadweave, though with consciousness rather than gravity: like a fabric made of a single filament strung between all conscious beings. Even those species with an intuitive connection to it have thus far been unable to create a complete scientific description of its workings. It is believed that any being with self awareness and sufficiently complex thought processes has the potential to manifest these gifts, but becoming attuned is a difficult process and likely requires as much pure luck as effort. Those who are so fortunate develop abilities that generally follow one of two paths: reading, sensing, and/or influencing other minds; and gathering and redirecting physical forces/energies through their mental processes and senses. Despite the baffling nature of Mindweave, attempts to study it have concluded so far that, at least, it falls within the laws of nature. It cannot create or destroy energy: at the fundamental level, it only redirects and rearranges. Mindweaving is often associated with a blue glow, as the transformation of energy can produce cherenkov radiation.

Though most people would say they've heard of this phenomenon, few would say they believe it exists.

Spoiler: The Galactic Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other peoples (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A note on biology (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:12:47 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (SIGNUPS AND OOC)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:09:13 am »

reserved

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:09:31 am »

reserved

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:45:50 am »

Do you already have a cast lined up or is this open for signups?

EDITS:

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sketch (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:12:15 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:49:20 am »

:D

Making a character.

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:48:42 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:55:30 am »

I'm glad to see this still going.
A few questions:
What does engineering: technician cover?
Is basic piloting something everyone has or do you need a rank in it to fly at all?
How much do you suggest we put into combat as a baseline?(I don't want my character to be a liability but he's not a trained fighter.)
If i dump skullduggery would i be able to use engineering and computer science to disable or bypass security systems?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »

Technician is for repairs/maintenance. You can attempt to pilot vehicles without investing in pilot, and basic civilian things like a forklift or a speedboat wouldn't have too high of a DC (those fall under "small crafts" btw).

Do you already have a cast lined up or is this open for signups?

Signups. Only got one or two people who actually submitted a character idea  during the interest thread.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »

PTW and possibly submit a character if I can think of an idea.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »

Character sketch for a Rtalis engineer/pilot. Don't have the backstory worked out yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and get the conversation started on this character.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:25:05 pm »

As a Rtalis, your character will likely have a personal vehicle for traversing pedestrian areas, so they'll have different capabilities when inside that. Rtalis are generally uncomfortable when having to deal with gravity without water to support them.

I should probably make a doc with additional info about established races if anyone chooses to play them.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

Name: Spar Ki of the Thread Rider
Race: Martlon
Role: Engineer
Crime: Illegal salvage
Description:A very tall martlon (1.2m!) he has light grey fur with black markings.
Spar is friendly, easy going, and like most martlon engineers always eager to salvage, fix, or "upgrade" something. Perhaps a bit too eager.

Skills and proficiencies:
Science 3
- Phisical science
- Computer science
Engineering 5
- Electronics
- Mechanics
- Technician
Ranged weapons 1
Agility 2
Skullduggery -1
- Security

Stats:
Defense 15
Armour 5

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »

As a Rtalis, your character will likely have a personal vehicle for traversing pedestrian areas, so they'll have different capabilities when inside that. Rtalis are generally uncomfortable when having to deal with gravity without water to support them.

I should probably make a doc with additional info about established races if anyone chooses to play them.

Right, completely aquatic. May have to decide on a different race then.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 07:18:17 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »

Don't they also sometimes have a pressure-suit? Don't think they can walk, though.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 10:04:00 pm »

Don't they also sometimes have a pressure-suit? Don't think they can walk, though.

Yeah, but its a big hassle to work out all the details for that. Plus, I think I did my points wrong. Soooo, I'm going to think of a better character.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7