Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 24208 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hive Race: The League
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:14 am »

THE LEAGUE

The city-states of the Hadaean Archipelago have often vied for dominance amongst themselves, being far enough removed from the major continents of the world that few outside forces could successfully threaten them with invasion.  Masters of ship, sail and spear, the city-states have fought off the other bronze-wielding nations with ease, though no one state has ever grown powerful enough to reach out beyond the Yellow Sea to strike at the continent.

Then Prince Thaneseus dared to plumb the depths of the ancient Labyrinth beneath Menotos to prove his love to Princess Elena.  Passing many traps and challenges with his band of twenty loyal hoplites, Thaneseus found a great golden seal beneath the Labyrinth, which he removed to bring back as a prize for his Elena.  At that point (the sole survivor tells) the whole Labyrinth began to shake and terrifying creatures spilled out of the walls, cutting down the great hero Thaneseus and most of his hoplites.  A sole survivor, Emenetus, managed to escape with his life and a handful of artefacts from the Labyrinth, making it as far as the next city before he fell to his wounds.  He lasted long enough to surrender the artefacts and tell his tale before he died, but by then the horrors had already begun to surface in the strees of Menotos and capture the city from within.

Only a handful escaped the sack of Menotos, and it seems clear that the monsters, terrifying beasts like giant ants or locusts, have no interest in sparing lives or even taking slaves.  They have devoured every human within and now begin to spread forth to conquer all of the Archipelago - perhaps all of the world.

This threat has finally been enough to unify the squabbling states, and the new League has pooled together its resources to try and fight off the menace of these cthonic terrors.  By spear and shield will these creatures fall - or perhaps by unlocking the power of the mysterious Menoton artefacts.

As the wisest scholars and armourers of the cities of the League, you have been brought together to figure out how best to weaponise these relics, or else how to reform the desperately struggling armies of the League in our fight against the menace from beneath the earth.

Advantages

- Well-established forts and defences throughout the Isles.
- Large, well-trained starting army.
- Varied troops covering all phases of battle.
- Benefit from strategic resources such as Ore and Timber.
- Can use magic.
- Mastery of the seas.
- Benefit from cities.

Disadvantages

- Low reinforcement rate.  Human young take a long time to develop.
- Reinforcements across the seas limited by transport capacity; harder to bring all forces to bear.
- Units typically require multiple resources to be worthwhile; training and ore or timber, as well as manpower.

To play for this faction, post here.  Once you begin playing for this faction, you cannot visit the enemy faction's thread, so stay out of it!  You can reach the Core thread here.

Spoiler: League Initial Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: League Initial Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initial Map (click to show/hide)

Before we send our troops forth to fight the horrors of Menotos, we must examine the Menoton artefacts.  We can derive two Lesser Spells from these artefacts, and one Greater Spell.  But which have we derived?

Spoiler: Starter Spell Options (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:20:37 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:54 am »

PTW
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:57:48 am »

Quote from: votebox
Lesser spells:
(1)Magic Missile: Khan Boyzitbig
(1)Daze: Khan Boyzitbig

Greater Spells:
(1)Webs: Khan Boyzitbig
I'll Open with this idea, hit from afar and then disorientate and hinder.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:29 am »

Lesser spells:
(2)Daze: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla
(1)Magic Weapons: Jilladilla

Greater Spells:
(2)Webs: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla

Would prefer Magic Weapons here myself, could open up more potent or widespread weapon enchantment. We'll always have much more soldiers than mages after all.
Of course, debilitating the enemy would further enhance the effectiveness of our soldiers, so I'm on board there myself.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:23:32 am »

Lesser spells:
(3)Daze: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla, Stabby
(2)Magic Weapons: Jilladilla, Stabby

Greater Spells:
(3)Webs: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla, Stabby

While i would prefer magic middle over daze, no need to the everything up.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:10:06 pm »

Lesser spells:
(3)Daze: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla, Stabby
(3)Magic Weapons: Jilladilla, Stabby, Taricus
(1)Expeditious Retreat: Taricus

Greater Spells:
(3)Webs: Khan Boyzitbig, Jilladilla, Stabby
(1)False Life: Taricus

They're going to outnumber us in a short while, so we may want to gear our spells for it. Pair Magic weapons and Expeditious Retreat and we can make hoplites that charge as fast as a knight without having to worry about the horse dying and whatnot. Throw in false life and every kill they make will sustain our forces, especially since we will be making a LOT of kills.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:37 pm »

The League, 300

The Aphrokemae, our elites, have been sent to reinforce the 2nd Front, near Kydessos.  Because Kroton and Sybylos are nearby, they are reinforcing the 1st Front directly, which is receiving the lion's share of new recruits, while the 3rd Front is receiving the least, despite having many more cities nominally sending reinforcements towards it - we can still only bring in and supply 300 recruits per year to that front.  At our current rate of expenditure, we expect 3 more biremes to be ready this coming year, supporting 150 additional men.

Our scholars have determined the spells Daze, Magic Weapons and Web.  Although we have not yet dedicated enough of our budget to support fully-fledged mages capable of casting Web, we have sent an 'apprentice' level caster to the 1st and 2nd Front; it is expected that they may be able to support our skirmishers in ambushes, as well as directly in melee by enchanting our spears.

Now our council has convened to discuss what we can do to improve our chances, particularly with regards to improving our weaponry, tactics, or perhaps modifying or even creating spells.

Current Reinforcement Strategy:  We are reinforcing Front 1, Front 2, and Front 3 equally.  Front 2 is receiving our National Effort, the Aphrokemae.  Of the 9190 men we can raise for war, only 3809 reached the front this year.  We have a total naval transport capacity of 900 men, split between our three fleets.  Our three fleets are reinforced equally from our shipyards.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.

Spoiler: League Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: League Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: League Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initial Map (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:17:06 pm »

Hmm... Mages use a ton of training... Perhaps we should spend our first design to increase that? Training income is based at least somewhat on education, and what we have currently is families passing down their knowledge within the family. Surely we can do better than that!

Would help with elite units too.

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »

We have 7 timber resources, creating 2100, 700 each (1145 unused). We can immediately double that with colonization, giving us ~3245.
We sent out 3136 unarmed people this turn.
Nevermind. We can't afford to arm the overwhelming numbers of people who want very much to be anywhere else.

I agree that we need training first, since we're bleeding our cities dry with slave-soldiers. Which path are we taking? I can think of three: 1) Starting a mage school, then broadening out from that over a few turns, probably only reducing the training cost of mages initially, 2) Taking our veterans off the front to serve as trainers, or 3) Start out with a broader school system, which will probably have a bigger result when finished, but take more time to actually do anything.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:34:53 pm »

Posting to spectate.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

2nd and 3rd fronts are going to be hard pressed. And we need more mages. And our navy simply cannot cope with the number of troops we need to move.

I suggest we design a multi-purpose school and training facility (to build in our cities). Might be a good idea later to revise the Bireme for transport purposes.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 06:16:15 pm »

Hmm, yeah a school of combat (and maybe very basic magic?) would be the logical start of an education system, especially in our current situation, would it not? Someone write that up, my few creative juices aren't flowing today.

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:58:46 pm »

I propose a single academy, in Kydessos or Dorytos. (Kydessos, a large city close to front 2, could really use it. Dorytos is our largest city, but is over water.)

The academy will be a sort of finishing school for our elites and company leaders, to ensure some level of standardized training. Injured or old veterans who can no longer fight will serve as trainers. The school will also have a section where mages will train. The combined facility will allow them to better train in coordinated action, and get the troops trained basically familiar with the magic that will be helping them.

As space permits, the school will also train the locals who will be serving in the military.

A single school will let us more quickly get something working, hopefully getting us actual mages faster, and possibly making elites easier to train. After it is working, we can roll them out nation-wide.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »

Sounds like a plan, through I would prefer to make a generalized school for our people to make as many slaves into spearmen as possible since we need to make a actual professional army as quickly as possible and trained conscripts are a good start.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »

The academy will be a sort of finishing school for our elites and company leaders, to ensure some level of standardized training. Injured or old veterans who can no longer fight will serve as trainers. The school will also have a section where mages will train. The combined facility will allow them to better train in coordinated action, and get the troops trained basically familiar with the magic that will be helping them.

As space permits, the school will also train the locals who will be serving in the military.

Sounds good, if we go for a single school, I would recommend Dorytos, as Kydessos.... Is kind of really close to the front... Wouldn't want the city with our only school to get overrun... And looking at the map... I really, really don't think we are intended to hold the line at the start. Only mitigate the damage until we can muster our full might, at which point we'll have an actual fight, instead of a fighting retreat.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30