Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851173 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1350 on: December 29, 2018, 04:44:45 pm »

A question that's probably already been asked and possibly answered in some form or another, but just in case it hasn't:

Does the (currently largely aesthetic AFAIK) value system play any role in how likely an NPC is to become a villain? For instance, I'd think a character whose values tend towards extremes might be more likely to engage in villainous behaviour.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:51:14 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: December 29, 2018, 04:54:41 pm »

A question that's probably already been asked and possibly answered in some form or another, but just in case it hasn't:

Does the (currently largely aesthetic AFAIK) value system play any role in how likely an NPC is to become a villain? For instance, I'd think a character whose values tend towards extremes might be more likely to engage in villainous behaviour.

Yes. First result from searching "value" in the devlog:

Dwarves and others are variously tempted by e.g. the opportunity to embezzle or accept bribes using the power of their positions. If their personality and values aren't up to the challenge, they may eventually fall to temptation and undertake corrupt activities in an ongoing fashion, which will make them a target for both law enforcement and blackmail.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1352 on: December 29, 2018, 05:20:00 pm »

Also, the value system is not that aesthetic, it really influences the kind of dreams and needs Dwarves have(which is why all Dwarves need to do martial arts and craft once in a while, and why mastering a skill and creating a masterwork are common dreams for Dwarves).

The thing is that all Dwarves(and Elves, and Goblins) have the same values, it gets a little bit more interesting when making human adventurers. I had one human civ where everyone was super obsessed with romance, and so all generated adventurers had a need to romance and most of the time the dream to fall in love. Elves, similarly have a need to see animals and often the dream to see all natural wonders. I haven't ever had a Goblin resident, so I am not sure what their values do.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: December 29, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »

I can answer that for you

Due to high POWER value obsession, very occasionally also wanting to be legendary warriors (you see this amongst humans sometimes) but humans are virtually different between civ to civ.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 29, 2018, 05:56:53 pm »

I did say largely aesthetic rather than completely. I'm aware that there are certain things influenced by values in-game, it just also occurs to me that the system still has a lot of untapped potential for future development.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Kaltag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 29, 2018, 10:04:23 pm »

Will there ever be such things as a rebellion? Say the citizens of a civ are upset about the way the ruler/high ranking official acts, could the civilians forcibly replace him/her? If so could adveturers join them?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:36:54 pm by Kaltag »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 29, 2018, 10:11:14 pm »

Pretty sure this can already happen, it's not exactly fleshed-out but in a very basic form it's possible.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 29, 2018, 10:21:23 pm »

Pretty sure this can already happen, it's not exactly fleshed-out but in a very basic form it's possible.
Yes, you can encounter them in adventurer if you're lucky. Hard to tell what's going on sometimes, but you can encounter fleeing prisoners and slaves which is fun.

Toady removed them from sites you take over in squad raids before release because the balance isn't quite right yet (new administrators would quit almost immediately from fear of a potential revolution).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:23:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Kaltag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 29, 2018, 11:26:29 pm »

Yes, you can encounter them in adventurer if you're lucky. Hard to tell what's going on sometimes, but you can encounter fleeing prisoners and slaves which is fun.

Toady removed them from sites you take over in squad raids before release because the balance isn't quite right yet (new administrators would quit almost immediately from fear of a potential revolution).

Is it possible to join a rebellion as an adventurer?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:29 am »

Is it possible to join a rebellion as an adventurer?
I'm not sure if you can join other rebellious groups, but you can make your own by claiming a site and recruiting people for your cause.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: December 30, 2018, 04:59:33 am »

Will there ever be such things as a rebellion? Say the citizens of a civ are upset about the way the ruler/high ranking official acts, could the civilians forcibly replace him/her? If so could adveturers join them?
I believe rebellions is what cause my long time fortress worlds to crumble: The other civs just shrink and the sites they had are no longer claimed by any civ, while still being populated (and not just by 5 refugees, but by reasonable numbers of inhabitants, so they haven't been sacked). My guess is that rebellions cause sites to leave civs, and civs aren't sufficiently active to reclaim their lost sites or grab sites others have lost in the activated world.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: December 30, 2018, 05:07:30 am »

I wanna sneak in another question because I saw an interesting documentary about the cistercian monk order some days ago:
The cistercians were (and still kinda are, I guess) a monk order in medieval Europe who started out as very strict, chastely, self-contained monks, but as they expanded more and more, they started producing a surplus of resources, which they then exported and sold for profit, instead of just being self-sufficient. They eventually turned into a profit-oriented megacorporation that spread "franchise" monasteries to almost all of Europe and made so much money that they could fund the Knights Templar, leading to the Second Crusade. (Most of their wealth originates from the fact that they exploited cheap labor, but that's a whole other topic.)
With the current way monastic orders and corporations are implemented, would it be possible for a monastic order to develop itself into something similar to a corporation, or are they two separate types of entities that make use of different types of tools and actions? Mainly, what I'm asking is, could a monastic order become a profitable producer of goods and expand to other locations similar to a corporation?
In the last devlogs I only saw you mention monasteries needing funding by other factions to expand, so I'm not sure if you at all planned for this to be possible. There's something to be said about keeping them as separate, distinct entities. It would be less realistic, but probably more game-like. But I guess it would make sense if for example a monk order who worship the god of wealth would somehow also be a wealth-accruing business.
I know this mostly doesn't matter until we actually have the economy update, but there was a bunch of work done on these kinda entities in the villain update.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:17:40 am by Death Dragon »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: December 30, 2018, 07:19:58 am »

With the new embezzlement system, what happens if I have a civilization that does not have any money to embezzle?  Do they steal imaginary money or does the system switch to embezzling other valuable goods or does no embezzlement happen without actual money?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:25:57 pm by GoblinCookie »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1363 on: December 30, 2018, 07:21:54 am »

One of the things to remember about the Cisterian order is that while they had a darn lot of power, they never conceived of themselves as a corporation. The Merchant corporations in the game conceive of themselves as 'people who trade goods', and so, the monestary orders conceive of themselves as 'people who worship a deity'. I guess the only real mechanism that is necessary to get Cisterian Monks is Monks who are able to sell surplus and have mechanisms to engage in economic activity that suits their needs (like a religion focusing on merriment will try to fund bards and festivals, but might also fund mercenaries to beat their enemies, and depending on who is heading, might plan to gain funds to do this activity).

A lot of this also kinda hinges on doctrines being hashed out during the next two arcs. Religions will proly be the first place we're going to see rules make a difference if we're going to start with Divine law in myth and magic.

That and of course, there's a reason religions got a little fleshing out during this arc :) Gotta have our Borgia and Medici.

Hm... I guess in a similar vein: In terms of corruption, are the histfigs already capable of mechanisms like nepotism/cronyism/simony where someone gets into a position due being family/buddies/benefactor of a power holding histfig instead of the usual route? Or does that require a bit more rules about how positions are obtained in the first place?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 30, 2018, 08:51:55 am »

Hm... I guess in a similar vein: In terms of corruption, are the histfigs already capable of mechanisms like nepotism/cronyism/simony where someone gets into a position due being family/buddies/benefactor of a power holding histfig instead of the usual route? Or does that require a bit more rules about how positions are obtained in the first place?

Might be a law arc caveat, but inheritance of positions through artifacts (royal sceptre of rulership etc. crown jewels) wasn't particularly followed through, maybe we'll see something but i dont think Toady's done much beside acknoweldge it as something he might want to go back to. Like how tavern games didnt make the cut, or that shady character he was tweeting about peddling counterfiet outside inns in the dead of night like Del-Boy.

As to actual religious hybrid organisations, i think that'd be more befitting of a civilization cultural format rather than any particular organisation, cross organisation sponsorship i guess through roundabout ways could put the temple leader in charge of multiple organisations at once just by coincidence or inheritance and cross the values of both.

Elf acolytes & Druids are monks of sorts that control everything in the elf civ already from whatever mysterious or shady position they sit at.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 389