Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850398 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1440 on: January 17, 2019, 10:11:41 pm »

Great to hear that Zach is through his surgery!

I really like how your writhing up the story as you read it, it was very funny. However, the devlog stirred up a couple of questions:

It seems all major position holders (kings, druids ect.) are also villains. Is this intended behaviour or just the effect of something, that isn't implemented yet, and will it stay that way in the release?

thx in advance, and thx for an awesome devlog!

The noble General Mafol wasn't a villain. The idea is that all position holders (from King to Bookkeeper) may or may not be corruptible (and are increasingly less accessible the higher ranked that they are). So, no, not all leaders will be villains. But a lot might, especially ones with naturally villaneous traits (like a lot of goblins, possibly?). That's why so many more positions were made, to ensure a good pool of possible network members.

Of course, I guess there's a good chance that the traits which make a person likely to become a leader may well be quite similar to those that lead you down the road to the dark side. Power corrupts n' all that...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:18:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:00 am »

It will be interesting to see what the balance of villainy in the upper ranks of a civilisation will be like and how much this balance is affected by the civ's values.

I am not sure if this was asked before, but how many of these new noble positions will we see/be able to appoint in Fort mode?
Don't know for sure yet, but I don't think the new positions will be player appointed. They are all related to the civ itself or to new entities like religions, guilds, etc.
Though hopefully when the king arrives at your fort post-villain update, they'll bring all their new followers with them, like royal justicar, keeper of seals, cup bearer, etc.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39:07 pm »

1. With the recent story about intrigue and landed titles and one of the remaining candidates being gaining entry level positions/titles from intrigue do you think it is becoming more likely that with the villain fleshing out update our adventurers will be able to get titles/positions in civilizations by doing quests for high ranking people?
2. In the recent story you posted a lot of land holding nobles were mentioned. Will the land they hold actually exist in that we could visit it? Also how big and how small a parcel of land could a noble hold? Would it have to be at least as big as a site or could they hold a subsection of land within a site?
3. Another thing mentioned in your recent story was assassins. Could our adventurers take up assassination quests in the coming update and like wise could our adventurers hire assassins to kill people? It was stated a while ago that our adventurers could hire their own agents.
4. Finally if our adventurers found a site will they be able to grant landed titles to their subjects?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 19, 2019, 11:38:17 am »

2. In the recent story you posted a lot of land holding nobles were mentioned. Will the land they hold actually exist in that we could visit it? Also how big and how small a parcel of land could a noble hold? Would it have to be at least as big as a site or could they hold a subsection of land within a site?

I dont think Toady was refering to any new title there. By "landholder" he simply ment barons, counts and dukes (or in this case a baroness). So yes, in a way you can visit there land, since they are barons of a certain place.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1444 on: January 19, 2019, 02:04:22 pm »

And by extension, your little adventurer sites are proly not making you landholder because the civ entity is proly not smart enough to understand how land ownership works because... it is a type of resource and thus related to economy and law/property/customs. That said it'll be interesting to see when that comes in. Getting assassins because a Baron has decided your site is where they want to chuck down their castle.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 19, 2019, 02:36:32 pm »

Do they not currently get the title "lord" in Adv. mode? I thought they did, since they can appoint hearhpersons.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 19, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »

Sorry for a whole bunch of questions, but I don't really get around to making asks about development super often!

1. Will creatures always necessarily hold grudges against their former partners, or is it possible for a relationship to simply "not work out" with no ill-will between either person involved? What causes someone to end a relationship, aside from unwillingness to commit?

2a. Should a successful usurper lack the wisdom to properly dispose of the former monarch and their supporters, is it possible for said ex-monarch to orchestrate their own "counter coup" to take back power? If the ex-monarch dies before they can attempt to take back the throne, but still has kids kicking around, would those kids recognize their status as former heirs, and plot to reclaim their rightful throne?

2b. As an extension of the previous question, how will already existing claims interact with the new villain system? Would current position holders be able to recognize potential claimants as a threat, and dispose of them via assassins?

2c. Will we see the children of ruling monarchs engage in the historically time honored tradition of sibling rivarly over who gets to be the heir? Would the degree to which this occurs be affected by how much the civ in question values family / power?

3. Will villains attempt to place people other than themselves in civ ruler positions? For example, could a demon or rival civ leader try to position a more easily influenced or cowardly character as the leader of a neighboring civ? If so, is it necessary for said character to already be caught up in the web, or could this happen without their knowledge of the strings being pulled?

4. What happens if a coup attempt doesn't quite go the way the plotters were hoping?

5. What exactly happens if the monarch of a civ is the primary propagator of a villain network? Would there basically be no consequences whatsoever to be uncovered in that situation? [Who the heck is gonna punish you when you're already at the top of the chain?]

6. Does the abstracted "personal account" manifest in the world in any way, even if said manifestations are entirely arbitrary? IE: The hearthpeople of a rich lord being better equipped in general?

And a few questions about the upcoming myth and magic arc:

7. We're going to be getting procedural civilized critters - Does this mean that we'll be seeing new types of procedurally generated populated sites? Or are generated creatures just gonna piggyback off of the existing types of sites for the first pass?

8. On the higher settings for randomness, is it possible for worlds to come out of world gen with more than one moon, or perhaps multiple suns? Or maybe no sun and/or no moon? Will these effect the daylight or seasonal cycle on the world? IE: pitch black nights on a world with no moon, different types or cycles of day for worlds with multiple suns, ect.

That should be it. I know some of these may have been asked before / already, so if anyone can point those answers out, I would greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:19:19 pm by Verdant_Squire »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 20, 2019, 06:12:40 am »

This post is pretty long, sorry there's a lot of content to cover Verdant_Squire, so i've condensed it in spoiler's regarding the original sourced question and posted the replies. Toady's the only real official authority on your questions though bear mind.

Spoiler: "Question 1" (click to show/hide)

I don't remember the mechanics of Toady discussing this, so im not sure where you got that data rather than a educated guess. There will be more relationship types (war-buddies, scholar buddies) and divorces in the new release (offsite re-marriage too) but im not sure on the precise detail (any links or quotes would help)

Spoiler: "Question 2b" (click to show/hide)

Or identify a artifact that either belongs to them through a link, Toady can answer more fluently but i thought id just tag onto this question to explain that it would probaly be feasible if proper artifact claims were put in since title-related pre-aquisition of artifacts isnt in at the moment, rather than the personal links dwarves have with a artifact dedicated to a holy man, certain place, or family ancestor/lineage to act on.

Spoiler: "Question 2c" (click to show/hide)
See my above reply, you probably won't see squabbling over the position until the law & property Arc (in devgoals) , right now the only gravitation suggested to us (or to dwarves) is that villians move towards positions based on their desires individually or towards artifacts (again to prior point that requiring a certain nominated artifact to rule/show royal authority and legitimacy wasn't implemented yet)

Spoiler: "Question 3" (click to show/hide)
This features in the most relevant development story, though if you understand that sometimes its easier to just remove difficult actors and easily convert softer targets, unlike Chief Cup-Bearer Shorast (corrupted 95 - d.97) who got splatted shortly after by a cyclops in december's devlog. Im not sure what extent, they would control people through the network or for what purpose as we'll have to see what Toady does regarding outside influences changing behaviour of people in the web presently.

Id be a bit dissapointed to not expect outside forces to try and meddle with our present civilization of dwarves by proxy but dwarven civilizations are well guarded and lawful, if exploitably greedy.

Spoiler: "Question 4" (click to show/hide)

Refer to what the civilization has in treason crime ethics and have the hammerer (executioner) on speed dial if nessecary.

Spoiler: "Question 5" (click to show/hide)

Normally refer to what the entity ethics and position tokens will allow with [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPT], Toady might put in a overriding workaround (or not), like deposing and incarcerating the king, finding a new monarch then trialling and putting to the hammerer the old monarch at the injunction of doing criminal activities against the current or at expense how vunerable they are stripped of title.

Spoiler: "Question 6" (click to show/hide)

Nobody's rushing too fast to re-impliment economy, it'll exist from Toady's comments but not in a tangible way in fortress mode, rarely being demonstrated usually.

At the moment, armor and quality sorting is done by [PRECEDENCE] position value which is why the general's troops from off-map always arrive with the best skills and if they were in uniform, nice probably steel gear, and why siegers (being 190 precedence captains as a single type of core unit) are all kind of crummy in equipment in copper and sometimes iron. Generals are 50 precedence, and hence everyone travelling with them in squad share the benefit. Precedence 1 monarchs also tend to wear masterwork clothes in adventuremode.

Nobody's been fighting real actual trained troops for years unless a fresh recruit gains experience through partaking battles naturally (somehow surviving). There's no way to change this without damaging balance as captains are hardcoded and can't be duplicated for 'ranks' of soldiers varying in equipment and ability.

• A fun tip is that all people present on the lists for assigning furniture are actually assigned per the precedence that they presently rank, so you can muncipally see everyone who's important near the top of the list.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1448 on: January 20, 2019, 04:58:21 pm »

So, can players/adventurers join the villain organizations?
They can be villains with the new party system as you'll have access to villainous commands. But remains to be seen if you'll actually be able to join an existing villain's scheme.

-- edit
Unless Kittytac knows better? Quote on that?
You answered it, no further details:
Will we be able to play villains?
Yes. Isn't that in the devblog already? Has been covered in fotf at least. You can give orders to your party members, which can be of the villanous kind. So essentially you can set up a bandit camp and play warlord.
That's you being a villain yourself.
There's nothing about joining another villain's organization yet. As far as I know.

Thanks Shonai, yeah I was wondering if you could join an existing villains organization and actually participate. Perhaps I should have made my question more clear.
Also sorry I haven’t been active in the wiki or the forums recently we never finished updating those adventurer wiki pages :p

I’ll reword this:
1. Will player adventurers be able to join an existing villains organization and actually participate

2. Are the assassin agreements available to player adventurers in adventure mode? I’ve always wanted to play as a proper assassin. And the most recent dev log made me excited.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:02:38 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1449 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »

"Snang still carries it."
Does this mean that, now, artifact armors or weapons are actually used and "seen" by people, and considered as armors or weapons, and not just "treasures to be stored/displayed" ?

In adventure mode I have seen beasts such as cyclops using artifact weapons they found and got from killing adventurers, so yes. There’s also the artifact retrieval missions they can be sent on which would likely result in them using the artifacts if you encounter them. (AI adventurers)

Also they are “seen” this has been the case since the recent artifact release.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:10:41 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1450 on: January 20, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »

Do they not currently get the title "lord" in Adv. mode? I thought they did, since they can appoint hearhpersons.
Lords are a completely different type of Noble from a Baron. Barons are dwarven positions. The humans have lords and such.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1451 on: January 20, 2019, 05:33:28 pm »

Hang on... Are you saying there is some sort of rhyme and reason to when we can expect a devblog? I know the FOTF is montly, but i just went and checked for devlogs daily, hoping for an interresting read...

He tends to put out a new devlog every 8 days. Notice the last one was the 16th and before that was the 8th then the 1st (fotf) then on the 24th was the one before that.
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 20, 2019, 06:27:08 pm »

There are exceptions, of course, such as in November when there was a 20-day gap in devlogs due to Toady falling ill after returning from a talk in Zurich.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 21, 2019, 08:10:40 pm »

Lords are a completely different type of Noble from a Baron. Barons are dwarven positions. The humans have lords and such.

And by extension, your little adventurer sites are proly not making you landholder because the civ entity is proly not smart enough to understand how land ownership works because... it is a type of resource and thus related to economy and law/property/customs. That said it'll be interesting to see when that comes in. Getting assassins because a Baron has decided your site is where they want to chuck down their castle.

I was answering the question about adv. sites making you a landholder. since "lord" is the human landholder title, that seemed relevant.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 22, 2019, 03:19:43 am »

Lord is a default hardcoded title, its variable really, since you can have a self-imposed lord of goblin pits if the goblin civilization splits off into autonomous groups of the same entity, typically happening in this circumstance, especially amongst humans.

Easy way to pick out divided civs is that they'll usually have a different symbol to the rest of the civ but be classed within it (like how your civ varies compared to the mountainhome) im not sure what causes this but typically it happens when the demon lord is deposed but not nessecarily killed because the capital is routed, and then within the spate of time it takes for them to reclaim goblins start forging their own groups through force of arguement.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 389