Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851621 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1485 on: January 31, 2019, 03:40:38 am »

Are there raws for the new stats like loyalty, intrigue, etc for our custom civs?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 31, 2019, 04:41:36 am »

Are there raws for the new stats like loyalty, intrigue, etc for our custom civs?
Well, loyalty is already modable with entity values and as far as I remember intrigue is actually a skill. I'm thinking that for the most part, the new villainous and corrupt activities make use of the values that we already have mod access to.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 31, 2019, 06:02:43 am »

Well, loyalty is already modable with entity values and as far as I remember intrigue is actually a skill. I'm thinking that for the most part, the new villainous and corrupt activities make use of the values that we already have mod access to.

Devblog:
In world generation and out of the play area, certain parts of schemes have to be abstracted, so we'll likely have a new skill along the lines of 'intrigue' which will determine certain success rates and so on, and we might find some use for it in play as well. The ambitious and/or cruel people with a knack for intrigue will be the successful villains, along with those that have game-systemic advantages (like a demon or necromancer, or a monarch.)

Edit
Oh, OK, yeah looks like it's a skill. So presumably moddable with Natural_Skill I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:06:04 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 31, 2019, 07:12:22 am »

I know there's no way for us to pay them without a proper economy, but can the player in any way interact with these new mercenary companies in fort mode?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 31, 2019, 07:13:55 am »

I know there's no way for us to pay them without a proper economy, but can the player in any way interact with these new mercenary companies in fort mode?
"Get attacked and killed" seems one likely way.  :)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:22 am »

That would be sweet, yes. Hope they get some special announcement message when they arrive, so you know that it's a merc company attacking you, not just some random army.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:26 am »

That would be sweet, yes. Hope they get some special announcement message when they arrive, so you know that it's a merc company attacking you, not just some random army.
I'm wondering if they would come by themselves, or if they'd tag along with regular armies. Or both I guess.

--I imagine you'd be able to tell it's the local death-worshiping merc gang from insignia's on their armour if there wasn't a particular announcement.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:46:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1492 on: January 31, 2019, 11:36:20 am »

Based on the most recent dev log.
Can player adventurers join and participate in mercenary orders? That sounds like an awesome opportunity to get a "I trained to battle alongside the death mercenaries" kind of story, like that montage you get in basically all fantasy movies, where the monk order or that one knight teach you how to fight. It would also just be cool to go up in rank and have that. And to get those various "contracts" and actually complete them.(Dark Bortherhood here i come)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:00:29 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 31, 2019, 12:09:08 pm »

So, in the latest dev diary, there is much mention of wealth and currency as it relates to mercenary companies. Talk of upgrading gear with wealth, upkeep costs, etc.

How does this actually work? I've heard no talk (perhaps missed it, there is afterall, lots of info around) of the return of economy, so what exactly constitutes wealth at this point, in this context?

It didn't seem like Toady was referencing the barter that is generally the situation right now, so does anyone have more insight (perhaps from a FotF question I've missed) about how this will play out for the player in, say Fortress mode?

I'm curious to know if this system has an impact on the player in some meaningful way at this point; some fashion in which we can spend coins for things. By this I mean in some other way than the otherwise barter-trade type way we make use of stuff like that right now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:11:39 pm by Walkaboutout »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1494 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »

Toady's said before that right now everyone just keeps track of their accounts during worldgen, but aren't really using coins and the like in play. He hasn't said whether they'll be able to make accounting decisions in the post worldgen yet.

Though, it seems this devlog does answer the question a few pages back about bandit groups. Presumably, like merchenaries they'll be able to disband properly when everyone's dead(or terrified out of their minds... or broke, apparantly :D).

Also, Dwarf Fortress: Assassin's Creed, anyone? It's gonna be fun to frolic around in adventure mode coming release. I am half wondering if I should take the world I have now and regen it with the coming version or whether to try and continue playing in it and see what happens.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1495 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:06 pm »

Toady's said before that right now everyone just keeps track of their accounts during worldgen, but aren't really using coins and the like in play. He hasn't said whether they'll be able to make accounting decisions in the post worldgen yet.

Though, it seems this devlog does answer the question a few pages back about bandit groups. Presumably, like merchenaries they'll be able to disband properly when everyone's dead(or terrified out of their minds... or broke, apparantly :D).

Also, Dwarf Fortress: Assassin's Creed, anyone? It's gonna be fun to frolic around in adventure mode coming release. I am half wondering if I should take the world I have now and regen it with the coming version or whether to try and continue playing in it and see what happens.
Why not play it and regen it when the new version comes out?
You would be missing all the new features if you didnt regen it (eg the mercenary groups, villains, etc), new structures/sites etc.

Personally I have a beefy computer with an ssd and such so i usually generate a 3000 year old large region with advanced world parameters with each big release and play in that only, for the most part , all my adventures forts etc. (and i recently got an even better new computer, it generates them rather fast (by comparison)  now (i genned a new 3k year old large world a week ago, and it only took a night)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:20:39 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1496 on: January 31, 2019, 01:20:07 pm »

Well, I've been playing it for a long while(I tried to get really familiar with it, now I'm almost 50years post worldgen in it), so I'm thinking like, maybe I should just keep playing it when the new version comes out and see the AI take advantage of all the new mechanics, or regen it and see how the world's history would be different when the AI has access to all the villainy to begin with... Maybe I should do both and make a report ;)

Of course, this relies on the new version being save compatible. The only thing I can foresee not being save compatible is if the interrogation and execution stuff is going to require new types of tools and furniture(because the entities would otherwise not be able to access those features).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 31, 2019, 01:25:34 pm »

Think I'll def gen a new world to take full advantage of the myriad of new features, not to mention have a new and substantially more detailed and fluid set of legends to sift through.

Honestly I have a short attention span and usually gen a new world every few weeks to begin with. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1498 on: January 31, 2019, 01:26:21 pm »

Well, I've been playing it for a long while(I tried to get really familiar with it, now I'm almost 50years post worldgen in it), so I'm thinking like, maybe I should just keep playing it when the new version comes out and see the AI take advantage of all the new mechanics, or regen it and see how the world's history would be different when the AI has access to all the villainy to begin with... Maybe I should do both and make a report ;)

Of course, this relies on the new version being save compatible. The only thing I can foresee not being save compatible is if the interrogation and execution stuff is going to require new types of tools and furniture(because the entities would otherwise not be able to access those features).
Yeah, with world activities(http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities)  things get complicated, while you are playing it is more complex in some ways and less complex in other ways and not everything in legends mode has been moved to world activities yet.
I am an indie game dev!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 31, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »

Oh, s*** this last devblog was really really awesome.

Just to be sure

Do weapon mercenaries based of axes (for instance) only uses axes, or is it just a preference ?
Will we see bowmen mercenaries ?
Will we see animal-men mercenaries ?
Can a weapon (artifact) be worshiped ?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 389