Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with unretiring adventurers  (Read 2378 times)

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with unretiring adventurers
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:51:08 pm »

I started a game in 0.44.02.
Now playing in same world on 0.44.07.

There are problem with adventurers. Adventuring working fine, yes, but if I retire adventurer as a peasant, I cannot restart to play as him because DF crashes with null-pointer error (attemp to read memory at 0000000).
Since this problem not appear in new world that are generated on 0.44.07, I don't create bug report.

I played around 16 ingame years in DF Mode and want to do this thing: create an adventurer, retire him in a fortress, train him in squad and let him be a scolar. Then, after a while, I want to continue play in adventurer mode.

Are there some way to "posses" old adventurer without standard adventurer mode setup? E.g. with DFHack.

P.S. I'm sorry for my English but I hope that all text is clear.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with unretiring adventurers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:31 pm »

You should report this on the bugtracker, although I'm not sure how relevant it'll be since it might be a problem with backwards compatibility. Anyone else experiencing the same thing, but on a current save?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:13 pm »

IMHO, there are no reason to report this on bug tracker because this bug doesn't reproduces at new generated worlds.

I just want some way to continue game on current save because I made a lot of stuff for my adventurer on it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:29 am »

IMHO, there are no reason to report this on bug tracker because this bug doesn't reproduces at new generated worlds.

I just want some way to continue game on current save because I made a lot of stuff for my adventurer on it.

Probably a problem with backwards compatibility then.

You can create a new adventurer and travel to the place where you retired your old one, then use adv-bodyswap when you're viewing the description page of the unit you want to swap into.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:05:32 pm »

There isn't a command "bodyswap" in DFHack but I found this topic http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163427.0

Maybe the script works, I will try to implement it later.

Also, I tried "mode set" command. In fortress mode I can to switch on Arena mode, then assume creature, then switch to Adventure mode.
However, there are problems: dwarves became hostile against each other and artifact inventory of my dwarf disappears.

bloop_bleep, I appreciate your help!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:32:32 pm »

The command is specifically "adv-bodyswap", with the "adv-".  :D Should be included in default DFHack. Might need to use the "force" option (like "adv-bodyswap force"), unless you make your old adventurer a companion before you run the command.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:35:54 am »

This command doesn't exist too :D

I added this command to my dfhack.

Instruction:
Copy this code to hack/scripts/adv-bodyswap.lua file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't find how to get cursor position in lua so to use this you need:
1) press `l`ook